Beyond Eternity episode 1

Started by MyEakinBack, Wed 17/06/2015 03:45:56

Previous topic - Next topic

MyEakinBack

Professors are disappearing out of thin air from West College.

How long has this been happening? Where are the Professors going? Why do they not admit facts that others plainly see?

You explore West College to solve the mysterious professor disappearances. You must pay close attention to widely scattered clues. Along the way, you pick up scientific knowledge that uncovers many pieces of the mystery. Time and patience are needed to work through multiple challenging puzzles. Unraveling the evidence could be more important to the future of our Earth than you ever imagined.

• Point and click adventure game (left click only)
  • Touch screen or mouse/keyboard
  • Non-linear puzzles
  • Two main characters to switch between
  • Voice acting
  • Approx. 6-8 hours of game play

An installer (plus uninstaller) is available - it does not create any registry entries

Latest version is 1.0.6. Naming convention for versions is that first number (1) is for game play changes, second number (.0) for changes that make saved games unplayable, and third number (.6) for bug fixes or minor changes that do not impact saved games.

At this time, ALL SAVED GAMES WILL WORK WITH THIS VERSION.

Download Game

A complete hint guide (with hide/show buttons) is available to help get through the many puzzles:

HINTS
completed: Beyond Eternity

Slasher

Congratulations on this games release MyEakinBack.

The topics of the game, like global warming, are things everyone should be made more aware of.

This is not just a game but of an awareness of a possible world devastation if mankind does not change their ways!

Play now...(nod)

Shadow1000

I'm loving everything about this game so far! It looks like a lot of work went into every detail.

Unfortunately the game crashed on me and I lost my progress since last save.

Spoiler
I tried using the scraper on the damage in Mrs. Jenkins' office and the game shut down
[close]

SHADOW

MyEakinBack

QuoteUnfortunately the game crashed on me and I lost my progress since last save.

Yeah, definitely a problem there. The problem was limited to one character and it only happens when one of the inventory items is used in a way I hadn't intended or thought of. Great catch. It's tough to think of all possibilities, and I missed one there for sure.

New file version 1.0.1 is now uploaded. Saved games should not be impacted (but I'm kinda new at this so don't shoot me). If you're past the point where you can do super-fast walking down the halls, you don't need this update.

NickyNyce

Congrats on the release. Can't wait to give this a spin, it looks great.

Kitty Trouble

Okay, so this game looks good so far. Especially seeing that it's your first. Nice work, if so, didn't see any others listed in your profile.

That being said, there are some bugs and annoyances that could be improved upon. I'm still not finished, but I can add more later if you plan on updating for these things.

Walk-behinds.

Spoiler
Certain areas such as the pool table and the open door in the kitchen are set as "walk-behind" so when you walk in front of them it is buggy.
[close]

Disappearing inventory.

Spoiler
So I'm not exactly sure what I did to cause this. I was messing around with my inventory in the kitchen with otto still inside when all of my inventory items disappeared. I tried saving and reloading, not sure if it loaded automatically to the girl character but it's how I figured out that I could. When I switched back my inventory was intact, but trying to leave the kitchen let the door still be closed, and if I opened it my character was stuck and couldn't move without re-entering and leaving the kitchen.
[close]

Follow me.

Spoiler
A particular annoyance is having the characters randomly stop following each other when going into random places, switching with each other, etc. It'd be more useful if the secondary character kept following until they decided to stop via dialogue. Also even after I said to follow, they would not follow each other into or out of the storage closet that required a key.
[close]

MyEakinBack

Yes it is my first game using AGS. And I tried to do way too much. :-[ I had to stop myself by splitting the whole story into episodes. So I'm a bit nervous that there could still be something stopping game play. This was tested for three long months, but it's still good for game players to save often, and set up multiple saves along the way.

I am glad to see your items didn't stop game play. I definitely want to hear comments that make the game better, so keep them coming. An update will definitely happen for something more serious. Got a vacation coming in July, so we'll see about timing an update.

Don't be shy out there. Let me know about improvements. Thanks!

CaptainD

Grats on the release mate, looks good!  I know you've put a lot of effort into this, and totally know what you mean about the size of a first project getting out of hand (been working on mine since April 2012! :-D)

Bavolis

Great retro style here - looks like it would have been right at home on a console. Must clear schedule to try this out...

MyEakinBack

I created the game in AGS 3.2.1 so it could use the JJS ports for Android and iOS. I have played and tested the game on both an iPad and an Android phone. It can be difficult to select some of the hotspots, but it can be done. My Android phone was really crackly on the music. But the graphics look really cool on an iPad, and it seems to be the right size device to work. A phone seems just too small, except maybe for elves. :grin:

Android is quite easy, you just install the JJS app, hook up your device to your PC, and copy Eternity1.exe, speech.vox, and audio.vox into a folder with the game's name. Full instructions are in the thread:

JJS Android port

For iOS, you would have to have a jailbroken device. I bought a used iPad with Cydia and it's quite cool and safe to use a jailbroken device. All it does it make it so you have access to all the files, like you do on all Windows devices. I use a program called iBrowse to hook up to my PC and copy the files over. You have to rename the .exe to ac2game.dat and have the .vox files there. It's talked about in this thread:

JJS iOS port

Stupot

I've started playing this, and it's very nice so far. Good job :cheesy:

Stupot

Game breaking bug:
Spoiler

I got Rebecca to climb the bottom part of the ladder and then had Blake move it. But instead of moving with the ladder, she just stays hanging there in space. And the game won't let me bring the ladder back to let her down because it's already connected to the top part. So now she is trapped and I can't continue.
[close]

MyEakinBack

Oh that is one hilarious picture! (laugh)

I managed to fix this without harming anything. If you overwrite the Eternity1.exe file only, you will not break any saved games. After overwriting the .exe file, just have Blake leave the library and come back. Rebecca will be moved down to where she can move around again. And no one will be able to do this again using the new version. Oh yeah, and Blake should remove his beany first. (roll)

This link is for the 1.0.3 version of the .exe file only. It does not contain any other files, so don't use this if you are installing the game.
New EXE file only - 25MB

The installer is now updated also. None of the links have been changed to protect the innocent. If this had been an actual emergency you would have been instructed how to remove Blake's beany yourself. OK, I will not quit my day job.

I think it's not likely that most would run into this, so it should be OK to continue using version 1.0.2. This is especially true if you've passed the library puzzle. Of course you'll avoid this if you overwrite with the new .exe file.

Amayirot Akago

Just started playing, I already have a few comments. One, the hallways are long, full of nothing, and look completely identical, so I can already foresee a lot of headaches in navigating. Two, none of the doors are highlighted when I put my mouse cursor over them, so I didn't even know I could open them until I opened one by accident. Three, nobody really seems to react to these people vanishing into thin air, which rather kills the moment.

Still, for a first effort, I can definitely see some promise ;) Keep up the good work.
Quote from: CaptainDMy suspicion is that an accident, probably caused by a lightning storm and a mad professor, resulted in Amayirot's brain becoming inextricably linked to the databases behind MobyGames and LemonAmiga.

MyEakinBack

oooh, feedback. This is wonderful! Thank you so much for the comments.

One of these is intentional. That doesn't mean it was a good thing to do though.
Quotenobody really seems to react to these people vanishing into thin air, which rather kills the moment.
This gives a chance to spill the beans on my objectives for the game (at least for episode 1):
Spoiler

The non-player characters represent all of us. We are buried in our own personal lives and do not see many important things going on around us. The main characters (which is really you the game player) are left with the reality they are on their own to figure this out. It is up to you to do what is needed.

Also, the game is full of things like long halls (which you can speed through later), puzzle after puzzle, and puzzles that require hundreds of mouse clicks. These represent the struggles we must go through in life to reach something important. That is never easy. But we need to do the right thing and get through our own personal struggles.
[close]

I really do appreciate the comments very much!

MyEakinBack

Sorry to be bumping my own thread again. I'm not trying to stay on top of the list. But I still see quite a few new downloads, and a late game bug was found that can prevent you from finishing the game.

Spoiler

If one player has all of the tanning bulbs, and gives them to the other player, the 100 watt bulbs will disappear from both inventories. You then cannot find them again.
[close]

So please make sure you have version 1.0.4.

Saved games are not impacted

Really sorry about that.

There are also other minor fixes and selecting a beaker in inventory will now show you what is in it.

Here is the .exe link (25 MB vs. 131 MB) - same link as a few replies above:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/wymf8hslt57dd0w/Eternity1.exe

Cassiebsg

Hey, congrats on the release.
Do you have a version without installer? I want winsetup so I can run it in a window. Thanks. ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

MyEakinBack

QuoteDo you have a version without installer?
Yeah, I have a zip on dropbox:

Zip version

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

tsa

The hints look like a text file when I download them in Firefox. Can you fix that? Same with the walkthrough you link to in the "Hints and Tips" thread.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk