Bitstream - (MAGS August 2015) - Joint winner!

Started by Chicky, Fri 04/09/2015 21:02:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Chicky

Hack your way through complex folder structures in an attempt to bring down a mysterious organization,
set in a hostile world where the vast majority of it's inhabitants are completely reliant on respiratory breathing aids.

Created for the August 2015 MAGS competition.

The game has permadeath, but it's (hopefully) not too annoying. :P

Game and sound design by Chicky

Music by LostTrainDude and Alfonso Gordon

Thanks to Mandle and LostTrainDude for some last minute bug tests :)

Download Bitstream (332MB)

Mandle

Congratz on the release mate!!!

I only had time to check out a very brief segment of the game but what I did see had the appearance of a game released by a professional studio: simply mind-blowing!!!

I can't wait to play the final release!!!

MiteWiseacreLives!

332 MEGS! holy cow  8-0 that's a big mags game!
Not sure if I'll be able to download this monster...

Chicky

I tried to keep the sprite count to a minimum but alas, the thing is indeed a bit of a monster. Sorry about that, it was the trade off for the CRT warp and glitchy bits of animation.

Cuiki

Oh wow, that was really amazing while it lasted. Great immersion with all the heavy breathing and music and all!

Is that what real hacking looks like?
Might as well for all I know. :-D

Spoiler
So the game ends after you open the PRIVATE folder? And it's inevitable to DROWN.EXE?
I played it and got to that same point 3 (!) times before I eventually realised that might be where the game actually ends.

Hopefully I'm just missing something?? :P
[close]
Hmm..it's kinda steep. But with a sled I can slide down the slope.

Chicky

Hey Cuiki, that is indeed where it ends, there should be some credits too! I would have liked to expand the game further but this was the best I could manage in an otherwise super busy month :)

You're the first person who has confirmed completion, thanks for playing and the kind words :D

Cuiki

Yeah, I saw the credits, but I don't know why I thought they would show up either way, whether you win or lose...

Heh, really? Maybe the other people are just too scared to say it out loud. :tongue:
Hmm..it's kinda steep. But with a sled I can slide down the slope.

AprilSkies

HANDS DOWN, Best AGS game ever.
No kidding!
Going to vote this 5/5.

One of the best immersion I ever felt.
And please nominate this for the next best music award!
During the puzzles there's an electronic glitch based track simply amazing.

www.apemarina.altervista.org

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

AprilSkies

Yeah!
I loved this same way I loved "Pi" that movie by Darren Aronofsky (with Autechre and Orbital tracks in the soundtrack)

www.apemarina.altervista.org

Cassiebsg

LOL (laugh)
Not doubting you love it, it's just me, I don't get it and have no idea what to do... walkthrough? Or at least instructions. :P
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sun 06/09/2015 21:19:37
LOL (laugh)
Not doubting you love it, it's just me, I don't get it and have no idea what to do... walkthrough? Or at least instructions. :P

Just channel thy inner hacker, Cassie!

Shadow1000

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sun 06/09/2015 21:19:37
LOL (laugh)

It's quite different than other games. For starters, did you read the README_FIRST document that came with the game folder?

SHADOW

Dualnames

Let's be honest with each other as Game Developers, when we don't want to draw a game, we think of a hacking simulator. It's just text and barely any visuals. So more work goes on its design. What we love. But, how many good hacking simulations do you know?

Yesterday my answer would be almost none.
Today it's "Bitstream".

Literally the breathing and permadeath feature add so much to the game, and the glitchy nature of everything on my screen is impeccable. The fact that you can hear someone respiring, supposedly yourself, gives me a feeling that when the breathing increases, that I'm about to commit a fatal mistake. Before I continue with the praise, holy fuck, accept lowercase when it's not a password. I spent 1 hour figuring out it needed B17 instead of b17.
Aside from that I like how nothing is explained, it adds more to the game (no sarcasm, I'm serious).

The introduction even thought it's minimalistic and a bit cliched, the fact that it doesn't only use one word, switches from the typical trope that's done to death, and actually works in favor of Bitstream. I felt that you were actually describing a world to me through these 5-6 words. And most of all I wanted to see it.

Spoiler
And that didn't happen, you bastard, but you teased endlessly with the castvids. You made sure I was shown the world, but never given it. BASTARD. But I liked that element too
[close]

There's like one typo in the readme and another on the game, but pfew, who gives a shit. The ending sequence and whatever happened there got me nervous as hell, and was very enjoyable. For a game made in a month, it's pretty impressive and overall a wonderful experience. Kudos sir, it was 1.5 hour well spent (even if i got stuck with the lowercase thingie). I give this a

Good Hideo Kojima Design Doesn't Need Boob Physics out of 10

And that's the complimentary plaque you get with that rating.

EDIT: OH AND BEFORE I FORGET, I SAW UR AVATAR, YOU CANNOT ESCAPE THE GOD OF DETAILS LIKE THAT.

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Stupot

Quote from: DualnamesBefore I continue with the praise, holy fuck, accept lowercase when it's not a password. I spent 1 hour figuring out it needed B17 instead of b17.
But... I've been trying upper and lower case and still got stuck.

Anyway, I'll work it out. It's gorgeously stylistic. That's all I can say at the moment. I'll update my thoughts when I've worked out what to do :-\

Dualnames

@Stupot: I wouldn't mind sharing hints, I'm sure Chicky would also be able to share hints.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Chicky

Thanks for the lovely comments :)

AprilSkies: I'm really happy you liked the game, it sounds like you *got* what I was trying to achieve, thanks for the kind words and smile you put on my face yesterday. Although best AGS game? Heh, not sure what to say to that :P

Cassiebg: If you need a little advice to point you in the right direction just drop me a PM :)

Dualnames: Thanks for an awesome write up! I was worried that I was being a little too vague when presenting the player with nothing but a login screen but it seems this wasn't the confusing part for most. I really didn't want to break immersion so having any kind of pop-up message explaining the controls/concept was a no-no, glad you liked what I was trying to achieve. I agree completely about the upper/lowercase thing, wanted to implement it but ran out of time. The next update will include some bug, typo and typing fixes, If there is enough interest I'll release a 'deluxe' edition with some of the cut content I wanted add but didn't have time.

Funny you should mention Kojima, MGS's menu vibe and the ending of Sons of Liberty were an influence :)

Stupot: Thanks for your initial thoughts and compliment, keep trying, there are imaginary people to save! (Also happy to give hints)

Not a bad reception so far, if a little controversial (laugh)

Bulbapuck

This was indeed incredible. The only bad part is that it's too short.

What really made this game was the immersion, I was genuinely freaked out trying to figure out what I'm supposed to do and not do.

Spoiler
After it ended I was sure that I did it wrong, that if I had done things differently I could have accessed things in that private folder. It's a bit of a shame that you can't (or can you?), understandably though as this in and of itself is very impressive for a MAGS entry. Still, I think this game could be one of the best AGS games I've ever played if there was more to it.
[close]

Really well done!

Shadow1000

I completed the game. What was the theme of the MAGS entry?

SHADOW

Chicky

Quote from: Atelier on Wed 05/08/2015 00:23:04
So yeah...This summer's MAGs theme is DROWNING...

Interpret this theme any way you like:

Literal drowning, saving someone from drowning, drowning in paperwork, feeling like you are drowning in a relationship...etc.

I went with 'drowning in the Bitstream' or put more simply, drowning in data. I wanted to give the player a similar feeling to drowning in the ocean - claustrophobia, helplessness, loss of navigational bearing, lack of sound par your own body and breathing apparatus.

Bulbapuck: Thank you for playing! I'm really happy with the response this is getting :)

I wish I could have made it longer and judging on the response so far I most likely will, I'd loved to have added more after Terminal 2 but time did not permit. I'm a little shocked at how two of you have mentioned the word 'best', it's too short for that but this does make me want to release more things :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk