MAGS November: "There be monsters" (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Sun 01/11/2015 01:06:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

@Emont, check my above rhyme.
You still have a bit of time :-)

Atavismus

FREAK CHIC

v1.0 (fr-en)

More infos asap.

The frenchies are late!* 8-0
We are uploading
Link soon.
*Still 30/12/2015 in Philadelphia :D

Eggie

I think I've pushed this loophole as far as I can.
Here it is! It's pretty rushed, you can tell it's rushed. I started late. Proud of what I did for the most part though

Scylla and Charybdis: A Grecian Ship From Olympus U

MiteWiseacreLives!

Still early here, Eggie! Two hours to go in my time zone  ;) your fine.
Just finished The Man Only I Can See, not sure if high-res hand drawn art and parallax scrolling have any place in MAGS (I think it unfair to the unartistic...).
I have concluded that your a creepy dude Chicky  (laugh). Fairly disturbing little game...

Mandle, your game was alot of fun! Got 115pts.. will have to have a rematch :) Really good job with the sounds and art.

I think I beat Song Animals, but it crashed during the end sequence.. so sad.. I was really proud of myself for making it there! I found out that I'm nearly tone-deaf, but not entirely :)

Mandle

YAAAAAAAAYYY!!! SOOOOO many entries...and....AND....

It feels so weird but...I don't have to come home from work tonight and work on my game...

I CAN ACTUALLY PLAY YOUSE GUYS'S GAMES!!!

I'm SO excited...I'm even procrastinating and heading to work at the last moment so it feels like I'm working for less time and it will feel like I get home and can start on the games faster!!! (Hey, if it works in my mind then it works... (laugh) )

Stupot

There's still a few hours left. Who else is still in?
Ghost and Cat? You guys have been quiet :-P

Chicky

Personally I think with the amount of work it takes to make an entry in one month, a few minor usability tweaks after the game has already been submitted would be fine. But that's just my opinion, rules are rules :p

Besides, it sounds like everyone's games are a bit buggy :D

I'm so psyched to finally have free time again. I'll do a GiP thread and proper announcement after work tonight. Well done everyone :)

cat

I almost don't dare to say it out loud,
but for this competition we sadly are out :(

Myshkin

Mandle - good fun, thought the audio particularly did a really good job of upping the intensity. Nice ending :-D

Eggie - not sure how far I got but it seems pretty epic for MAGS! Really nice animation, especially the different facial expressions for the speech. I was enjoying it up until I got this crash:

Spoiler

in "GlobalScript.asc", line 88
from "GlobalScript.asc", line 177
Error: AnimateCharacter: invalid loop number specified

This happened just after trying to climb back up the pipe you slide down.
[close]

Also the "continue" button didn't work for me - unless I'm supposed to save during the game and didn't realise...?

If anyone else gets a crash at the end of Song Animals please let me know as I haven't been able to reproduce this.

Marion

With Billbis and Atavismus
I have worked on the "Freak Chic" game
It was very important for us
Because it's our first common game !

A big part of the french community forum
Worked on this MAGS monster event
Day after day, it took form
And now it is ready to be sent !

Our hero, Victor, is a difformed servant.
To please Cybele the priestess,
He accepts to go on a quest :
To make a potion, find the ingredients !

Around the country he must go
And win against monsters he should
Will he make the priestess proud ?
Will he make the love grow ?

Eggie

MARION!! I didn't now you were still around. Great now I gotta play all these entries AND the games you've done in the past couple of years that I didn't know about.

Emont: Urrrrrgh, those crashes have been the bane of my existence all month. Next time I'm writing my own replacement Animate() command that can accommodate my horrible organisation skills. The game's also SUPPOSED to autosave in every room but I have to confess I never actually tested that :X
Both issues should be fixed in a bit

Stupot

Okay let's do this.

The competition has now ended and voting is underway.

Song Animals by Emont
Monster Wants In by Mandle
OCEANSPIRIT DENNIS: The Terror of the Ice Princess by
MiteWiseacreLives!
The Man That Only I Can See by Chicky
Freak Chic by Atavismus, Marion, Bilibis et. al.
Scylla And Charybdis: A Grecian Ship From Olympus U by Eggie

Click on the game title to download.

Be sure to play all the entries before sending your voice! Good luck
to all participants.

VOTE

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Let me know if I've made any mistakes with the information :-)

@Chicky. I don't really have anything against a few fixes here and there, especially to fix crashes or other game-breaking issues (at least in the first 24 hours or so after submission). I'd prefer that if it avoids the need for extensions.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

@Cat. That's a shame. Will we be seeing the Ghost/cat project any time in the near future?

Chicky

Good to hear Stu, last night was crazy stressful and I ended up going to work with only 4 hours sleep.(two less than my regular 6 this past month!)

I'll find a way to fix the restore game GUI and update with a screenshot when I get home.

Looking forward to playing everyone's entries!

Mandle

Quote from: Emont on Tue 01/12/2015 10:39:10
Mandle - good fun, thought the audio particularly did a really good job of upping the intensity. Nice ending :-D

Thanks for this comment mate...It really made my day as my main goal with the game was to deliver as intense an experience as I could. Of course, the game only looks and acts like the image I had in my head to an extent...

The two tentacles that break through the bottom left sections of the door, for example, are part of an extra gameplay feature that had to be left out, but I left them in because I figured that any game with two tentacles can't be all bad, right?

Now, back to the rest of the MAGS game (I just finished yours and commented in the release thread) for my orgy of game playing fun serious critique of the MAGS entries for voting purposes...

Mandle

I'm currently playing Freak Chic and having a great time with it...

I might have some game-breaking bugs though:

SPOILERS ALERT!!!
Spoiler
I have activated the panel puzzle in the werewolf's cave and managed to light up all the buttons...But nothing happens...

Also I filled the flask with swamp water and this prevented me from getting the bile from the chamber pot. I couldn't find any way to empty out the flask so I had to restart from an earlier save point.
[close]

Please excuse these comments if they are not actual bugs and there are ways around them built into the game already.

Awesome game by the way: Full of charm and amazing that it was pulled off in the time available!

MiteWiseacreLives!

Quote from: Emont on Tue 01/12/2015 10:39:10
If anyone else gets a crash at the end of Song Animals please let me know as I haven't been able to reproduce this.

During the end sequence, one of the characters was lagging behind the group.. then the script called for that character to do something and it was not in the current room. (sorry I didn't get to copy the actual error code).
Maybe run a check to see if all characters are in the room before the command, otherwise
Code: ags
character[x].changeroom(player.room, 600, 400); // or whatever...

Very neat game though, I'll have to try again to try and get to see the ending.

Marion

Quote from: Eggie on Tue 01/12/2015 11:05:16
MARION!! I didn't now you were still around. Great now I gotta play all these entries AND the games you've done in the past couple of years that I didn't know about.

Thank you Eggie :)

Creamy

Quoteamazing that it was pulled off in the time available!
Thank you. That's the power of love joint work!
Yo Riso, Hanakin, Eleusis and Kitai have also worked on Freak Chic, with incentive of Thebroch and Valoulef.
I have activated the panel puzzle in the werewolf's cave and managed to light up all the buttons...But nothing happens...

Spoiler
Try the opposite way.
[close]

I've only played your game so far. Very atmospheric. You have a thing for lightnings apparently. I must confess that I always put my headphones off when I'm advised to put them on :-[.

Chicky

The Man That Only I Can See

I've updated the download link again, the save/restore bug is now fixed. If anyone's not cool with this i've kept the original upload on GoogleDrive, so I could revert back to that link if need be :)

Stupot

8 votes already, with an interesting demographic pattern. Can I remind everyone to try out all the entries before voting, to vote for your favourite and to vote only once. Cheers.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk