I still use AGS 2.6, should I upgrade my game? And how? :0

Started by MMMorshew, Tue 19/04/2016 19:55:55

Previous topic - Next topic

MMMorshew

So yes, I still use AGS 2.6. :grin:
Mainly because it is the first version of AGS I ever downloaded (back in 2006) and I just grew so accustomed to the interface
and the way everything works. Actually, I prefer it to the newer versions.
My games made with it still run fine under Windows 7, but I think some compatibility problems could arise in the future.

Lets say I finish my game with AGS 2.6. How could I upgrade it to the newest version after that? AGS 3.3.3 refuses to open any game made with my older version. I thought about downloading AGS 2.8, which could somehow open games made with older versions, and from there upgrade it to the newest AGS version. That would turn out to be time consuming and I am not even sure if the game would be broken after that. I have no idea if the newer AGS versions still use the same mechanics and scripting language.

It would be super awesome if someone here could give me a tip on what to do here. :D

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: MMMorshew on Tue 19/04/2016 19:55:55
Lets say I finish my game with AGS 2.6. How could I upgrade it to the newest version after that? AGS 3.3.3 refuses to open any game made with my older version. I thought about downloading AGS 2.8, which could somehow open games made with older versions, and from there upgrade it to the newest AGS version. That would turn out to be time consuming and I am not even sure if the game would be broken after that. I have no idea if the newer AGS versions still use the same mechanics and scripting language.

There is a problem in 3.* versions of AGS Editor that makes them incapable of opening pre-2.7 games, which we haven't addressed yet.
Currently the way to go is this:

1) Use AGS 2.72 to upgrade your game to 2.72. You do not have to fix scripts or anything at this point, only to SAVE your project inside 2.72.
2) After that you should be able to import same project to latest 3.* editor.

The 3.0 editor has a number of backwards-compatibility settings that you may have to turn on, since you probably use outdated script commands.
But other than that the game mechanics are pretty much the same.

Danvzare

As someone who first discovered AGS back when it was at 2.72, and who for many years refused to update to 3.0 due to preferring the interface in 2.72, I can tell you that I'm glad I finally bit the bullet and forced myself to use the newest version.
It's taken a short while, but I now prefer the newer versions over the older ones, plus I get access to all of the cool new features (and better compatibility).

The biggest hurdle for me was the slight reorganization of the interface, but that can easily be fixed by moving the menus around (which is one of those cool new features I was talking about).

In short, I think you would gain a lot by upgrading. You don't have to, but I'd highly recommend it.

MMMorshew

@Crimson Wizard
Thanks a lot! I tried it the way you said and everything worked fine. :D
However, the game crashes now whenever there is a view used that is missing some loops. I will have to fix this then.

@Danvzare
Yes, the new interface... it felt so weird and tedious compared to the old one. xD
Getting to know how to use the new interface is definately on my to-do list.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: MMMorshew on Wed 20/04/2016 11:37:31
However, the game crashes now whenever there is a view used that is missing some loops. I will have to fix this then.

This is a known difference between two versions, IIRC AGS 2 automatically looked for alternate loops in such case, but AGS 3 became more restrictive for some reason.

Monsieur OUXX

The main question has not completely been addressed : "should I upgrade?" --> YES, you should upgrade, if you expect people to be able to play on modern systems:
- OS and permissions related isues (Windows Vista, 7, 8, 10 admin rights, special User folders, etc.)
- hardware-related issues (DirectX5 versus hardware-accelerated)
- Resolution issues (3x scaling on resolutions higher than 1600x1200, as well as screen proportions: 4:3 vs 16:9)

Spoiler

(I'm hiding this part, as you said everything works fine except the Views issue)

The simplest and safest way[/b] to upgrade has been mentionned :
1) upgrade from 2.6 to 2.72
2) Upgrade from 2.72 to 3.3.5 (released) or 3.4.0.6+ (still in alpha but stable)

If your scripts don't compile, there can be two main causes, relatively easy to fix:
1) The functions you use are no more global functions, but instead part of an objet (e.g. "ProcessClick" is now Room.ProcessClick). The manual usually helps you finding the names matching (each manual entry says : "function formerly known as...")
2) You're using old-type strings. For that, use the checkbox to keep using them
3) You're using old-style sounds. So, if you have trouble using PlaySound and such functions, ask for help on the forums, it's not too hard to switch to the new style.

[close]

Danvzare

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Wed 20/04/2016 16:55:47
The main question has not completely been addressed : "should I upgrade?"
I thought we all kind of answered that. Heck, I even told him to upgrade in my last post on this thread.
Although I suppose none of us actually said why he should upgrade. So I guess you made a good point.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk