Quote from: Kumpel on Tue 31/05/2016 20:33:56
Need 6 hours more! (laugh)
Or at least 2 :O
I hear ya.

I think I'm just going to make as much as I can and wrap it up somehow. :-D

Cassiebsg

Okay, done. :)
Will compile, zip and upload... stay tuned. :-D

EDIT: Sorry for the slight delay, but I found a couple bugs more and tried to fixed them. One is still present: Viewing Credits from the Menu will make the game quit after viewing. Sorry, I even created a bool just for that, but for some odd reason still quit... no more time, so... :-\

Jack has just ran out of gas on his way home. The gas station is only a few blocks away, so he decides to walk there and get some gas so he can get home.

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/xo8hyc3a0ad2m66/OutofGas_V1.zip

Enjoy.... :-D
I'll make an entry to the AGS website tomorrow, need to go to bed now. :~(

EDIT2 : So, here's the game page and database link. (nod)
Game page: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=53607.msg636536708#msg636536708
Database: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2065/
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Retro Wolf

[imgzoom]http://s33.postimg.org/gkkk8forz/Rackham_HELP.png[/imgzoom]

Many parts rushed, even more cut out. I present to you:

RACKHAM

I've added a mirror for Cassie! ;)

Cassiebsg

Cool, thanks Retro Wolf! :-D
Will get to it tomorrow. I've added min above too. ;)

gameboy

Shoot, I'm still not going to make it after all. No point in releasing something unplayable. :-[

Kumpel

Please don't disqualify me! My PC shut down in the last minutes xD

Had to kill one game breaking bug. Is this cheating? :O

Jump! Jack! Flash! another update SORRY

Stupot

The competition has now ended and voting is underway.

Five nice looking entries. Well done everyone.

Jumpin' Jack: the bean powered kid
by Slasher
Memoriae by Xil
Out of Gas by Cassiebsg
Rackham by Retro Wolf
Jump! Jack! Flash! by Kumpel

Click on the game title to download.

Voting

CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT YOUR VOTE
Send the title of your favourite game under the subject MAGS [MONTH]

Remember:
* try all the games before you vote
* vote only once
* vote for your favourite

Voting Ends: June 15th

Mandle

I've tried 4 games so far:

Out Of Gas: Well, actually I've been trying this game for the last week or so, as one of the testers and the proofreader...It's great! I love the calming feeling of just being able to stroll around the city while considering your predicament...Puzzles are fun and rewarding to solve!

Rackham: A nice, short little farming sim so far (it's "kind of a demo")...There are some issues with sprites jumping up one pixel, which is a little jarring, and the keyboard commands take a bit of getting used to, but it is easy to tell that the game was designed for much grander things and that it is still a fetus at this time.

Jump!Jack!Flash!: WOW! Who knew that Kumpel was actually Ghost?! Why didn't anyone tell me I was ignorant?! What was the big secret?! Seriously though: why is the game credited to Ghost under the game icon? Is it because of some module used? Or is Kumpel actually Ghost's new identity?! The game itself is very nice: A lot of effort has gone into setting the mood and maintaining it, but I encountered a glitch that gave away the solution to a puzzle series I had not yet completed, which kind of broke my immersion and interest in finishing the game at that point...

SPOILER ALERT:
Spoiler
I could get robbed by Louise before I had solved the "makeshift wrench" puzzle, and then that sequence gave away all the details on how to make the wrench, and actually gave me the finished product...And then, even though my car's hood was already magically open, I could still use the "wrench" on the car to "reopen" it...I still had the

MAJOR SPOILER ALERT:
Spoiler
Pen and the bottle opener in my inventory, but not the duct tape that I now knew I was supposed to have gotten from the dumpster...
[close]
[close]
I will replay this game later...

Jumpin' Jack: the bean powered kid: Classic Slasher stuff: Hilariously unpolished, and yet flawless, glitchless gameplay. And a rather touching tale told in three acts... I loved the way:

SPOILERS:
Spoiler
The path to Jack's family redemption was forced on him rather than him just becoming a nasty bastard of his own free will...And the bullies' comeuppance was the funniest moment in a Slasher game since the besting of the Sumo wrestler in that James Bond parody one (who can even keep up with all the titles' names???) ...I was praying the game would go all the way with the colour changes to the character sprites...And it "delivered the mail" right on time!!!
The mere fact that I actually felt quite moved by the resolution of the story arc is proof, for me at least, of Slasher's minimalistic storytelling genius... Never underestimate THE SLASHER!!!
[close]
And now that Slasher has been unleashed on MAGS: May God help us all!!! Next time, mate, release a game every 5 days, following the theme, for the whole month! That'll keep everyone on their tippy-toes!

Okay, that's four down and so:

NEXT UP:

Memoriae: Xil's games have always fascinated me in his way of pushing the boundaries of what exactly a gameplay experience is or could potentially be. I've saved this one for last on purpose: HERE I GOOOOooooooooooooooo down the rabbit hooooole...

(Some time later) ...............actual "time-gap-playing-the-game" EDIT:

aaaaaannndddd here I come baCK OOOOOOUT

OH MY GOD!!! Anything I would say about this experience needs a huge:

SPOILER ALERT!!!
Spoiler
The game was short but the mere idea of an assassin actually being in the trade of:

HUGE SPOILER ALERT!!!
Spoiler
Ridding a particular person from your life, not through killing them but...

MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT!!!
Spoiler
Erasing them from your memory forever....DUDE!!! That is the coldest way you could ever "kill" somebody...The rest of the world goes on as normal, there are no news headlines, there is no inheritance motivation....You just wanted that person to not exist SO badly that you hired someone to remove them completely from your own, and only your own, version of reality...You don't even care if they continue on breathing...As long as you never even knew they were ever alive...FUCK! I have chills right now at where the story could possibly go if you carry on with this production...Literally...chills...
[close]
[close]
[close]

Now I'm done with all five... It will take some time to process the polar-opposite content of this MAGS collection!!!

But I must say, this is one of the most diverse-in-tone and FUN MAGS in recent memory...

Most MAGS have an obvious winner...but...

I'm so excited to replay every game over again, and then think about them over again in my spare time (riding my bicycle to work and back) before reaching a final descision...

This is gonna be a toughie!!!

Kumpel

@Mandle:

Oh. Yeah, I used the BASS template. Rookie mistake, I guess, not to change the author.

How on earth did you do that. Mandle?
Spoiler
I am so sorry it gave away the final twist for you :(
[close]

Spoiler
Found the problem. I was so blind! (shocked!)
[close]

@Stupot:

could you update the download link? This bug bugs me a lot and really gives away all the fun! :~(

Mandle

The original post here has been deemed cringeworthy by its author so:

This post has been replaced by something cuter:

Spoiler

[close]

Kumpel

I appreciate the effort, Mandle :D

B2T now :P

Mandle

Quote from: Kumpel on Wed 01/06/2016 08:40:10
This bug bugs me a lot and really gives away all the fun! :~(

I'm downloading the new link, and doing the flashy-thing on my memory so I can play it fresh....

Actually:

SPOILER ALERT:
Spoiler
As I don't know how to get the duct tape from the thingy just yet and I kinda already thought that the borrowed thingy on the metal thingy combined was what I needed to do the thingy...I would have done it anyways...The bug hasn't really spoiled the game for me...
[close]

Now I replay...

EDIT:

SPOILERS:

Spoiler

Now I have popped the hood legit, but after being robbed I cannot walk away from the night counter window...stuck there forever...I have to hit Alt-X... :(
[close]

Stupot

Slasher

Hi Mandle,

I don't know how much more i can do now i'm almost stone deaf. I'm seeing an audiologist this month.

So i don't know if i will be able to make anymore games and i am trying to get JACK talkie and Conspiracy finished.

So don't count me in further MAGS, well, not unless i get deaf aids (laugh)

A blessing to some ;)

Mandle

Quote from: slasher on Wed 01/06/2016 12:53:21
So don't count me in further MAGS, well, not unless i get deaf aids (laugh)

Then make a game about what it is like to go deaf...if you are living it then you must have some great puzzle ideas just out of what challenges you yourself face at every turn...

I volunteer to do the fading audio effect for you mate, in case you can't... (laugh)

Kumpel

Oh damn. This game is still pretty bugged :(

It happens sometimes. Have to fix that I guess. :-[

if you care to try it again... (nod)(laugh)

Another Bugfix :-/

Cassiebsg

I need a mirror for Xil's Memoriae... (roll)

EDIT: Scratch that. I just realized I already had it. :-[

xil

@Mandle Thanks for playing dude :) I'd like to think I got somewhere with the idea just a shame I didn't have time for the game haha :D I shall indeed at some point be returning to this to finish it off as I actually have the whole story planned and it was nice doing it with my other half who did pretty much all the writing.

As for me now, I'm off to download and play all the games! I shall be back soon with my thoughts :)
Calico Reverie - Independent Game Development, Pixel Art & Other Stuff
Games: Mi - Starlit Grave - IAMJASON - Aractaur - blind to siberia - Wrong Channel - Memoriae - Point Of No Return

Kumpel

Played them all through now. Here are my thoughts:

xil:
In the beginning very atmospheric and even immersive (that intro is great!), but it soon lacks interactivity. The story text parts are well written and the over all monochromatic design is very neat. That minimalistic style has it's charm (The way you designed clouds and stuff are really cool-weird), but still I kinda miss something else to do, apart from reading large passages where sometimes it has been very hard to sort out, what they have to do with the story itself. Everything is very mysterious here. Of course I do like to think in an adventure, but I like to get some structure of thinking in a game even more.
Spoiler
I actually couldn't figure it out... Is it some kinda game, where the player character wants to recap some memories (of him/this girl/both/whom?)... Is it a mind intruding scenario? Jack was introduced as a contract killer. Is this the future, where information can be shared via memory storage? Very confusing... The hacking part was a good idea, but it soon proceeded on it's own and became another click-through-storytelling-part. No challenge whatsoever.
[close]
Nevertheless it has been nice 10 minutes.
Spoiler
And your cliffhanger is pretty mean...
[close]

addendum:
Spoiler
Thanks to Mandle I know get it. Now that is actually a really cool idea. But still your game lacks the execution of said unthinkable cold-heartedness. at least a little memory kill performance as a nice teaser could have made it so much better (and clearer) for me!
[close]

Cassiebsg:
What a cuuuute game. these characters are weirdly rough designed and super pleasant at the same time. Your city design is delightful and this choice of music really adds to the overall feel good playing atmosphere. At one moment I wasn't sure, if I missed something...
Spoiler
Which character tells you that the thief has a scarred face? Or do we have to guess/remember this detail? Well in my case I had a hard time finding a new infomation about him and suddenly I chose the right one and could finish the game.
[close]
I loved almost everything about this one.
Spoiler
And I so would have wanted to get to know better that sweet lady with the orange dress ;)
[close]
You, sir, are my favorite!

slasher:
Well this one really tried to ride on a huge wave of crude humor. I am not that much into body functions jokes, but I liked the more or less dramatic backstory and also got some of the rolling stones references, although I know nearly nothing about this band. Your graphics ranged from lovely but simple, to lazy but workable. Your bean power game mechanics has been great though. Never thought it could be that much fun
Spoiler
and I was glad, he didn't use magic bean gas for his super power... (nod)(roll)
[close]
All in all an entertaining MAGS game with some dieduction at the visual design grade.

Retro Wolf:
In the beginning a pretty hard, but after some time a very funny, little farming game. That movement and interaction keys were a bit tricky to coordinate and to control.
Spoiler
Very often I put seeds into an already occupied spot. If it's a different kind of seed I would get it, but when the game is taking money as I try putting the same kind of seeds in there, bacause I missed goig a pixel more to the next spot, it makes me a little bit angry. :-X
[close]
I never got beyond a hundred credits After a second round I mastered it :). But still I didn't get the benefit of that huge jump feature. Is it just to evade the robot waves or is that part of the cut out game features/challenges due to lack of development time?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk