Feature request - name loops

Started by Dave Gilbert, Fri 23/12/2016 17:44:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Gilbert

Pardon me if this is the wrong place to put this.

In my current game, all my characters have 50+ animation loops thus far and it got so complex I had to create a function for each animation so I could keep track of them properly. This has added a lot of coding to my project, but I figure that could be eliminated if we could name loops the same way we can name views.

For example, ifI have a character named Eli I named his view "vEli", which makes his view easy to refer to in script. But he has a jump animation which is loop 45 and I have to remember that number every time I want to make him jump. It would be nice to be able to name his loop "eliJump" (or something better) and refer to it like this:

cEli.Animate(eliJump, 4, eOnce, eBlock, eForward);

Is such a thing possible?

Happy Holidays!

-Dave

cat

Wouldn't it be easier to have a vEliJump view? At least, that's what I do.

And Happy Holidays to you as well!

Dave Gilbert

Wouldn't that add lots of unnecessary steps?

You'd have to change the view, then play the animation, and then change it back. I keep all the animation loops on the same view for that reason.

cat

Retro Wolf

You could try definitions, In the Global header:

Code: ags
#define jumpLoop 45

Dave Gilbert

Oh yeah. I already do something similar, but having to do that for every single animation loop is a bit time consuming. It would save a lot of time to name those loops right from the View panel. By, for example, double-clicking on the loop number and a text field pops up.

Crimson Wizard

I think it may be possible to make this on Editor-side only, which would result in same macro solution as Retro Wolf suggested, just automatically generated.

Cassiebsg

Sounds great to me! :) (nod)
Doesn't even need to be a popup box, just a box in front of the Loop... sweet if it gets done! (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk