what should I play next?

Started by Matt Brown, Fri 18/04/2003 04:07:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Brown

well, I just finished another fine adventure game from underdogs...and now I really dont know what to play next. i've nailed the MI sieres, willy bleamish, DOTT, sam and max, kings quest (all of them), robin hood, quest for glory and loom. I like funny games, or games that make you think. no text prasers, and pref. I'd like to be able to download it. so...if somebody was to suggest say, GF, then I'd need a link. I'm saving my dough for a new PC. and, its a real pain in teh butt for me to buy stuff online, since I have no credit card.

thanks folks
word up

Trapezoid

Space Quest all the way.

And Leisure Suit Larry.

Matt Brown

was space quest 5 teh first game with a point and click interface?

also...sierra is a pain about those. you have to email them, get written consent, blah blah blah. oh well. I'll look into that.

I guess I was kind hoping for some lesser known games....sorta like how willy bleamish wasn't well known> I've played most of the seirra and lucusarts games. (except the dig. is that anygood?)
word up

Timosity

SQ 4 was the 1st pt n click, but there is a remake of sq1 they are both really hard to play unless you've got an old computer cause you have to slow down your pc for some parts and with a machine up to 2Ghtz you will probably never  be able to play them.

If you haven't played any SQ games, or LSL you are missing out.

There's also Gabriel Knight and Tex Murphy games

DinghyDog01

Ah, but where can you find space quest?? I remember it once upon a blue moon being on my computer, but...

-DD, who is too lazy to log in

Trapezoid

Well, they're on various abandonware sites.
None that I know of, though.
:-X

TerranRich

Shame, shame. Buy the SQ series from http://www.sierra.com !! Silly humans...

Timosity

Quote from: TerranRich on Fri 18/04/2003 06:11:25
Shame, shame. Buy the SQ series from http://www.sierra.com !! Silly humans...

"Shipping: Currently, item can be shipped only within the U.S."

So if you live outside US or don't want to pay $120

go d/l it

alternatively get it sent to TerranRich and he'll post it to you???

Las Naranjas

or dealve into the wonderful underground world of tradz0ring.
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

Pet Terry

Gabriel Knight is great game, so are Leisure Suit Larrys, The Dig... and King's Quest VI! Only thing is that it doesn't work anymore >:( Everytime I try to play it I got a message "You need 29680 more bytes of free memory available to run this game. If you have any resident software loaded please remove it and try again. Script #: 0, IP: 0

And same thing with LSL 5...
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

auhsor

yeah the space quest games are really cool. I grew up on them, and look how i turned out...

Renal Shutdown

Hey

Good games:

Touche: adventures of the 5th muskateer
Igor: Project Uikokahonia
Freddy Pharkas *
Flight of the Amazon Queen
Beneath a Steel Sky
Teen Agent

Kinda Iffy:

Rex Nebular and the cosmic Gender Benders *
Innocent Until Caught
Guilty (IUC 2)
Inherit the Earth *

Turkeys:

Wayne's World
Universe

Avoid like herpes:

Cruise for a Corpse
Inca II: Wiracocha

(* if you can get them to work).

Try oldgames.NU, but it may take some work to build up d/l credit... it's free, tho.

Hugs
Iqu

"Don't get defensive, since you have nothing with which to defend yourself." - DaveGilbert

frobozz

What about some good old-fashioned text adventure games?  I highly recommend A Mind Forever Voyaging--it is what every adventure game designer should strive for in my opinion.

-Fro.

Gonzo

The first two in the Simon The Sorcerer series were decent adventures (not played the third, the 3D one). They are flawed in some ways - in the first one you might not be sure what to do, where to go etc. straight away, and in the second one, Simon has been developed into a very obnoxious teen who insults most people he comes across whatever you do, which annoys some people. But they are good games with decent puzzles, in the same style as LucasArts, comedy. The humour's a little more British and less polished though.

The Feeble Files also by Adventuresoft was a good game, absolutely massive with some very challenging puzzles, but a superb story and good characters. Sadly a commercial disaster for the company  after what seems like a lot of effort went into it. Be warned, it is pretty hard in places, but there are walkthroughs for the tricky stuff. This will probably be hard to find for download online though (its a massive game and not well-known), I believe its been re-released (at least in the UK) in a DVD box recently though. If you know anyone with a card, they're selling it for a tenner on the AdventureSoft store page though. Not sure where they deliver to.

I'm assuming you've played all the LucasArts adventures. They are all 'funny' kind of games really, except for The Dig which is quite serious and dramatic.

SSH

Quote from: Mr.Panda on Fri 18/04/2003 04:07:15
its a real pain in teh butt for me to buy stuff online, since I have no credit card.

If you've got a cheque book, ebay is a great, cheap way to buy older games.

Matt Brown

thanks guys. I thnik I'm going to go try to LSL games, (I suppose while my parents aren't around though) and teen agent, which is a game that I've been meaning to play for a while...and just haven't. if I see a newwer space quest game, I'll jump on it
word up

c.leksutin

Try: Alone in the Dark I
the second one is more of an action game and the third one is a big download.

C.

Adamski

Try the Discworld games. Especially the first and third.

Rincewind

Yep, I agree with Dark Stalkey - The Discworld Games are worh a try if you like humourous games. (1 & 2 are more Pythonesque, featuring my all-time favourite Python member Eric Idle, and 3/Noir is darker, but still funny as hell!)

For more serious games, try all three Gabriel Knight games, and also Broken Sword 1. (Argh! Got to buy number 2!)

remixor

Discworld Noir is one of the best adventures I've played.  It's more in line with Pratchett's later novels, to be sure.  Dark, but not REALLY just dark, sort of dark in a hilarious way.  I've not played DW2, but I didn't enjoy DW1 as much.  I never beat it because I got so damned tired of hearing Rincewind say "Did you get the number of that donkey cart?"  Dear God, that phrase haunts me to this day.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Rincewind

Yeah, DW1 is probably the worst of the three, but it still has some really good moments, such as the beggar who goes a bit too far, etc... ;D
The thing that annoyed me most was probably the phrase "That doesn't work!" which was used, for... Well, practically everything. And than the fact that you couldn't get past the L-space very often, since you took the wrong book, and so on...

But DWN is absolutely the best of them. DW2 comes in on a close second place, but that is only because - as remixor says - DWN is much more closer to the books.

"Heard of the Milka?"
"Sure. Put in my coffe-a."
"Ha. Ha. Ha. It's a ship."
"Yeah, I know."

"I'm afraid my memory isn't very good. I need something to jog it..."
"Would a crowbar do?"

Sorry, just got that awful need of quoting DWN-jokes again... ;D

Las Naranjas

3 has probably my favourite introduction to a game ever.
"I'm a moron" - LGM

remixor

"I've had some tough days as a private investigator, but I'd never woken up dead before..."

The first time I heard Lewton's voice, I thought it was really bad but as the game progressed I soon realized how hilarious it was, coupled with the overly melodramatic noir-themed dialogue.  Man, I love that game.

Rincewind

I was mostly worried about the fact that there was no Eric Idle in the game, but as soon as I got into the storyline,(Which is absolutely brilliant, btw!) I forgot about the other games completely. (Besides, Nigel Planer alsmost compensates for his absence... Almost...)

DWN, in my opinion, only has one real negative side, and that is the overwhelming darkness. (Pier 9, the warehouse)
But what the heck, it's Noir, isn't it?

"Suddenly it came over me that everything would go wrong. It's sounds crazy, but it's true, so help me. I couldn't hear my own footsteps - It was the walk of a dead man..."  ;D

Adamski

What made the Donkey Cart line even worse is that it sounded like 'did anyone catch the number of that Donkey Cot'

Donkey Cot? What the hell is a Donkey Cot?

AGA

er... I can honestly say I never thought he said 'cot' :p

Discworld was a great game, it was just pretty unforgiving, since it had 2 or 3 walking-deads (you could only enter the palace about 4 times, and that L-Space thing Rincewind mentioned...). It's well worth playing through, even if you have to use a walkthrough to avoid the walking-deads.

The only thing that spoiled Discworld Noir, otherwise a superb game, was the talking animations. The animations lasted about a second before repeating, it made it look like they were shaking their heads from side-to-side non-stop.

remixor

To be honest, I was glad Eric Idle wasn't in Noir before I played it, and I was still glad he wasn't in it after I was done.  As great as Idle and the rest of the Python guys, are, he just would NOT have worked doing a noir character (if he did the lead, which I assume he would).  To be completely frank, though I thought he was really good in the other Discworld games, I thought he perhaps made it a bit TOO Pythonesque, and not enough Pratchetty, which to me isn't quite so zany (what a horrible word, I can't believe I just used it).  I love Monty Python (a lot), but its brand of humour is pretty distinct from Pratchett's.

Las Naranjas

except of course Rhodan, who has that fabulously long animation to sit through before he invariably replied usefully and succinctly.
"I'm a moron" - LGM

Rincewind

Quote from: Las Naranjas on Sun 20/04/2003 00:18:37
except of course Rhodan, who has that fabulously long animation to sit through before he invariably replied usefully and succinctly.
Yeah, that was quite a drag, wasn't it? And he very seldom had any sensible answer anyway.
"Madam lodestone? Ah! The fount of all relief! Relief... Mhm..."  
(That's why I choose Malaclypse... ;D )

MillsJROSS

I'll just say that SQ is the game to get, as has already been said.  It's my favorite series and they were the first games I made sure worked on my new system. While it did take a bit of tweaking I got all six in the series to work just fine.  You do need to slow down your system, yes, but not for all of the games. You rarely need to do so with the first three games, just if you play an arcade sequence. SQ4 is the one with the most timing issues, and their annoying, but if your a big fan, they you'll tough it out. SQ5 is pretty good, and SQ6 has only one timing issue.  

-MillsJROSS

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk