AGS stock exchange

Started by Raggit, Thu 12/06/2003 03:13:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob The Hun

Silly Communists....
Anyway, this whole stock market thing sounds like a great idea to me.

AndersM

QuoteI mean if you had no choice but to work down a mine in a socialst regime
youd do it! and thats gotta be hard work!
Working in the coalmine

Las Naranjas

Since AGS games have no productive capacity at all (unless we give a reward for downloads) all Demand for shares, and hence laregely price, will be determined by speculative action.

So unfortunately, the price (unless we determine the price of shares, in which case we're neglecting the market thing) will form speculative bubbles, but because the games have no value, it won't pop. So a few prospective games, say PDA 2, will probably receive huge prices and go nowhere whilst others languish, and don't care, because the share price won't affect their operation.

But hey, all ideas are for debate ;)
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

Barcik

Don't you just hate this smartass?

;) ;) ;)
Currently Working On: Monkey Island 1.5

Bob The Hun

Quote from: Las Naranjas on Thu 12/06/2003 22:31:38
Since AGS games have no productive capacity at all (unless we give a reward for downloads) all Demand for shares, and hence laregely price, will be determined by speculative action.

So unfortunately, the price (unless we determine the price of shares, in which case we're neglecting the market thing) will form speculative bubbles, but because the games have no value, it won't pop. So a few prospective games, say PDA 2, will probably receive huge prices and go nowhere whilst others languish, and don't care, because the share price won't affect their operation.
The AGS Games might not have a productive capacity, but the creators of the game do. Demand for shares could be determined by the number downloaded, and feedback to the game would determine whether or not the stock would rise or fall, as the demand for a further game would be determined by the quality of the previous game.
The price would not be subject to speculation, as starting price would be subject to previous creations in both quantity and quality (i.e., somebody who had made a large number of high quality games would have a very starting price, somebody who made a few good games would be worth quite a bit, somebody who has made no games would start at a minimum price, etc.) The value of a game could be determined through a system of the quality of the game verses anticipation. If a game is highly anticipated, the stock will rise during production, but if production is delayed too long, the stock will level out and eventually start to fall, and if the game falls short of anticipation stock price will lower dramatically.
Although, admittedly, the market would have a rather weak foundation, it would still function properly through the system of supply and demand.
Your theory is based on the assumption that games have no value, but, as mentioned, games do have value determined on the quality following aniticipation, and the amount of downloads of the game and satisfaction with those downloads. In other words, it's value is determined by whether or not it was worth the time of download (a system especially effective for dial-up users)

Las Naranjas

My theory was based on irony and the (erroneous) belief that it would be recognised.
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

DGMacphee

I'm not for this.

Look at Hollywood films -- Just because, say, Daddy Day Care reaches a high box office mark (thus high share price), doesn't mean it's any good.

Likewise with games -- just because heap of people are downloading it, it's doesn't establish quality.

I'm not saying that games like P:DA are not quality -- just the opposite, I think they are.

However, the idea of an AGS exchange (and every other stock exchange) is based around hype and popularity.

That is not the direction I'd like to see things go.

Perhaps it's my cynical nature, but that's my rationale.
ABRACADABRA YOUR SPELLS ARE OKAY

DGMacphee Designs - http://www.sylpher.com/DGMacphee/
AGS Awards - http://www.sylpher.com/AGSAwards/

Instagame - http://www.sylpher.com/ig/
"Ah, look! I've just shat a rainbow." - Yakspit

Matt Brown

I just realilized that this would unfairly favor short games, as those are often the most downloaded. thus, a decent MAGS game that is 1.5mg might roll over a very good, larger game, say, 6 megs
word up

Raggit

Quality of a game can be determined by:

Graphics.

Music.

Story.

Gameplay.

Just to name a few as well as the GUI and stuff. Quality is also determined by how much feedback a game gets in it's release thread. If people say "Dude this game rocks!" then it is probably worth more.

If people respond saying "This game sucks" then it probably isn't. How much people are willing to spend is the main determining factor. If they feel it is worth it, they can buy it and then that can lead others to do the same.  I think the best way we can see is just to try it and find out if it works.

All in favor?

All opposed?
--- BARACK OBAMA '08 ---
www.barackobama.com

Alkaline~

Quote from: Raggit on Fri 13/06/2003 15:00:03
Quality of a game can be determined by:

Graphics.

Why did you put graphics first... ¬_¬
Anyway, it's a pretty cool idea...

Raggit

The things I listed are in no particular order.
--- BARACK OBAMA '08 ---
www.barackobama.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk