3D street c+c plz

Started by Paranoia, Fri 27/06/2003 09:00:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Paranoia

I'm working on some animated scenes for my next game, "Ashmare Creek", ok i know the houses are clones and have no doors, the creatures are solids, i'm working on jointed ones, i'm more interested in what you think of the feel of the scene, camera angles, sizes, lights.
i value ur opinions, is it ok or should i take up knitting or something? ;)

Paranoia

Ferret

The camera angle seems off considering the scene. I'd get a fullshot of the person, maybe angled upwards with the camera a little below waistline. It'd would add to the atmosphere and get rid of the empty road at the front which doesn't actually contain anything that adds to the scene (remember, if it's not important, don't show it). The gray fog / haze doesn't seem atmospherically correct considering the sky, recommend either making it stormy or night time.

But so far, looks pretty good.

danny*

the size of character and creatures are wrong compared to the houses.
You will add textures on the houses,right?
Needs a lot of dirt....
i agree about the camera angle with Ferret.
Besides these looks really interesting. :)

Paranoia

ty i agree with everything you guys say,, yes the houses will be textured and some plant life, i'm redoing them total well maybe the first 3 0r 4 both sides, it was starting to take a painfully long time to render, mainly because of the pickup truck, which i'll replace with something simpler, and a few cars, looking at it now the kerbs are to high as well,  
i thought i'd ask for c+c while it was easyish to put right....

thx Paranoia

danny*

what soft do you use?
if max (or other big ones) why don't you try to optimize all the heavy meshes that are not close to the camera?That way you will reduce polygon number and most of all render time,and since those models will be far, the optimization wont show!!! :)

Paranoia

that picture was done with truespace 2, i have truespace 5 which i use to make them look better(i've used t2 for years, i prefer it) i have 3d studio max 5 somewhere too, but i've never given it a fair chance to get used to it, maybe its about time i did! i'll have a play today and see difference it makes :D, thanks Danny

Neole

Looks great to me, a lil dark. The people are too big for the houses.

Ali

Is this a screenshot from a cut-scene sequence?

If it is approach it like you were making a film, you don't need to get everything (houses, monsters, and hero) in the frame at once. It could be more dramtic to cut back and forth between the creatures and the girl.

If this is a room backdrop it might benefit from a higher camera - It's nicer to see a large patch of sky at the top than a large patch of tarmac at the bottom.

Nice and frightening though - the creatures take suburbia.

ratracer

I'm usually a bit picky with dimensions of smaller things (which doesn't mean I get them right myself).
Anyway, in your case, what I mean is the height of the sidewalk and the frames of the windows are sticking out.

In any case, it's an interesting composition.

In my monitor the tarmac seems 100% pitch black, and if so it's exagerated, but it can be due to my own monitor, which I know gives a darker image than normal...

Paranoia

hopefully the pictures will be short animated scenes for the scary bits in the game, it was done with truespace 2 which is old and limited, its my first attempt at a street scene,  i can do cars,bikes, single rooms quite well, but its time i moved on, so now i'm trying to get my head round 3D studio max 4.2 :D
thanks for all the comments, and i'll post the new, improved piccie v soon
thanks again Paranoia

Meowster

I'm not sure, maybe it's a dodgy camera angle but... those dogs ESP the one looking at her.... don't look like they're on the ground. Make sure to put cars! Everybody loves cars. Then the dogs can jump on them and BEND THE ROOF. I've always wanted to bend the roof of a car. So yeah. Weight, Mass and Cars.

Paranoia

lol, its great fun bending roofs on cars, its even more fun taking them apart with an angle grinder ;) (only my own BTW, before getting scrapped :P)
the dog like creatures maybe floating, i cocked up the road and it was hard to tell which part was the  surface :-\. truespace does some weird sh*t if objects are merged, when you select a poly line it doesn't go in the direction you want it to, and freaks out instead, i tryed to get the road longer but it went sideways and down :'(, i should of redrawn it, nevermind mk2 is underway ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk