AGSers Music Collaboration

Started by undergroundling, Wed 09/07/2003 21:59:15

Previous topic - Next topic

undergroundling

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in doing a large collaborative musical project as a collective?  I think it would be a really cool concept to get a bunch of AGSers together (myself included) to put together a series of musical compositions.

Not sure if this would work best creating a composition and having each person add a new musical phrase onto the end of an existing melody, or to have each collaborator write a separate part, functioning as a band of sorts.

Perhaps I didn't explain it too well, but I think you get the idea.  Well, anyone interested?

Evil

I think Trap's email is a good idea, meaning a bunch of agser's music on a cd?

undergroundling

I'm not sure what your reply meant exactly, but, no I don't mean putting a bunch of AGSers music on a CD.  I mean a bunch of AGSers working together on single compositions as a collaborative effort.

Trapezoid

I'm not sure how it would turn out... Would we do it like the writing projects, where we pass an MP3 along to eachother?

undergroundling

That's what I was trying to figure out...either one person can start a composition, passing it along to someone else who adds a few more bars, etc., or one person can program drums, another a bassline, etc. etc. passing it back and forth refining parts until a song is built.

Online collaborations between composers have happened, and they're becoming a lot more common these days.  It's not too hard to send some mp3s, wavs, or midis back and forth.  I think it's doable if we work on it.

Fuzzpilz

I've been working together with DarkStalkey for a while, but we have it a lot easier because we use the same software (Buzz) and can just pass the .bmx files back and forth.

This might be a good idea, but unless it's done in General MIDI or with (basically) electronic music methods that might not be to everybody's liking (a remix chain, so to speak) I'm not sure how we'd do it.

Trapezoid

Maybe we could put down a simple drum loop, and each person gets 16 measures to do whatever they want with. It'll probably turn out bizarre, but that's a good thing.

Evil

I'm saying lets make an agser cd...

undergroundling

And I'm saying that has nothing to do with this topic really  :P

Flippy_D

Steady on.

I like this idea anyway, but it would have to be in MIDI for me at least. I'm not half bad at improvisation (although not on-the-spot, live stuff), so yeah why not.

Gregjazz

I really like that 16 bar idea!

We could pass around a MIDI file, each of us composing an additional 16 bars to the song. No rules, but just be serious about it. (i.e. keep the drumtrack the same)

This could sound really great.

n3tgraph

good idea.... although... I don't have enough time these days
* N3TGraph airguitars!

Ghormak

I don't really have any good suggestions, but I know one thing:

Quotepass an MP3 along to eachother

This is a no-no. :) The quality would... well... suck ass when we're finally finished with it. It'd have to be saved in a lossless format.
Achtung Franz! The comic

Trapezoid

Well, WAV would be too large. And not enough people can convert OGG. I guess MIDI would have to do, although it'd sacrificing some sonic freedom...

Fuzzpilz

Well, I'm out if you're going to use General MIDI. :)
Not that that would be such a great loss.

Oh, and high-bitrate lossy formats are an option, although obviously lossless compression (Monkey, say) would be better. Definitely nothing below 256 kbps if we were using constant bitrate MP3s, though.

m0ds

I'm deffinatley up for this passing along the MIDI and adding 16 bars. Sounds like great fun.

But, I would suggest we kept it consistant? as aposed to going from Rock to orchestral - cos then it'd sound like some dumbass medley that comes with Windows. :P

Trapezoid

Are you talking about canyon.mid? I kinda like that one.

Gregjazz

I like using General Midi these days, just for fun. It really tests your skills trying to make a good-sounding song with terrible-sounding instruments. :)

Constistant or not, just make sure it sounds good.

I could start the song if you want...

Trapezoid

Ok. I recommend putting the tempo at 120 bpm, which I consider the most generic tempo.

m0ds

Okay, who's starting off the ch00n?

m0ds

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk