Are newbies not allowed to debate the things we oldbies used to?

Started by Nellie, Sat 09/08/2003 23:45:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Trapezoid

We have a nice community. Even loaded questions like "Creation or Evolution?" don't turn into rotten flamewars. It didn't happen last time, and it's not going to happen now. I think the closest thing to a flame war that happens on AGSforums is a few people jokingly insulting a fake troll who is actually one of the regular members masquerading.
Past religious discussions I've seen on this forum have been, in my opinion, very reasonable and restrained. I think we should give ourselves a little more credit.

mitar at work

And not once did anybody mention I came up with the idea and started the C vs. E thread, Which was one of the best damn threads on the WHOLE internet that I can remember.

Nacho

Ok Mitar... What do you want? A medal for a good thread? Threads are for discussing, not for encourage you when they receive lots of replies. :P
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

MrColossal

Quote from: mitar at work on Mon 11/08/2003 01:04:33
And not once did anybody mention I came up with the idea and started the C vs. E thread, Which was one of the best damn threads on the WHOLE internet that I can remember.

mitar... stop it... who cares? Apparently not a lot of people. If the creation Vs Evolution thread is your ONLY claim to fame in AGS then you better make a freakin' game and THEN people will remember you.

Hmm I wonder who started the first philisophical discussion in ags... gosh i have no idea nor do i care. Who made Larry Vales, Phil Reed. Wow took .00003 seconds to remember that.

And to tell you the truth, the first creationism vs evolution thread was really annoying. It was at least 10 people all saying their view and then trying to debate and lot's of "Now I didn't read the whole thing but...."

No one cares if you started that thread, people care if you make a game

eric
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

DGMacphee

Not only that, it ended with Helm and me at each other's throats.
ABRACADABRA YOUR SPELLS ARE OKAY

DGMacphee Designs - http://www.sylpher.com/DGMacphee/
AGS Awards - http://www.sylpher.com/AGSAwards/

Instagame - http://www.sylpher.com/ig/
"Ah, look! I've just shat a rainbow." - Yakspit

Las Naranjas

and not only that, I remember 3 or 4 C Vs. E threads before mitar's.

Sorry mate.
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

Nacho

Mmmm... I am being witness of that "Finish a game before posting" attitude. Sorry, I don´t share it, maybe because I haven´t finished a game  ;D(Well, a Mags...) but I am developing one, which has about 50 rooms, and all the art has been done. I contribute with posting in critics lounge some of my sprites, I try to help if IMO there is a problem with other people´s art, I attended mittens... Please, stop making differences between members using that. I may agree that there is people who uses this GAME CREATORS community for chatting and posting issues not related to the games, I may agree that there must be a way to decide who is contributing to the community and who´s not. M0ds hasn´t published any game at the moment. The respected member Barcik neither... Helm himslef does not consider he has published a "real" game (his words...).

Let´s be serious, that "finish a game" community does not help to the people developing his first game.

And let me remember you that a person, following that "I´ve finished a game" attitude was brave enough to tell to the others that their threads were trash (and that person has a thread called "King of fruits, my ass!"

With the full respect that Mr. Colossal deserves.

Farlander.
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

Pessi

I agree with Nellie totally, on "Debates don't exist purely in the pursuit of a resolution, but also as a way of sharing ideas."

I realized this a few nights ago, when we we're at my friend's summer cottage. We talked about issues such as the war in Irak, whether crime is essential for society and things like that. It was the first time we talked about such issues, we're no politics you know. And that is what got me into thinking, perhaps it's not the topics of discussion that made it so enjoyable. Maybe it's just the fact that we got to know each other's views and ideas on the matters.

When you talk about weather, you can not present your own ideas. You won't get to share anything, you won't get to know them. It doesn't matter what the topic is, it matters how you discuss it. Take this thread for an example. When I read Darth's, Pestilence's, Nellie's and Andail's posts, I really thought about the last Creation VS. Evolution thread. I mean, people don't agree on all things, but they discuss it in a very thought-out and - considering the circumstances - in polite manner. I get to hear a lot of good ideas, and when I read two sequential posts, from both sides (Nellie - Andail), I really don't know which one is right. However, I get to hear both of their views on the matter and learn more about the situation and how to think of it. And that is why I know where I stand on this issue.

I don't think posts should be locked because they've been discussed before. If they're done to death, then wouldn't they automatically fall down to the next page? If there is something to talk about, then those who are interested can talk and exchange ideas. Those who are sick and tired of the topic will have to find the self-discipline to ignore the post. Even though it might be hard when you see it for many days.

However, what I suggest is: not re-writing the topic of a debate that has been interesting and debated well in the past. If you come up with something that is interesting now and is something that really intriques you and you'd like to know what others think about it - post it.

Visti

I wonder if I'm an oldbie or a newbie. Well, I don't frequent the boards much, so I'm probably sorta newbie-ish.

agsking

You have been here for a long time and contributed a lot, your an oldbie.
And I couldn't agree with Pessi more.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk