Homestar Runner: Too popular?

Started by Jam Torkberg, Tue 09/09/2003 02:10:32

Previous topic - Next topic

veryweirdguy

Quote from: Toefur on Tue 09/09/2003 09:06:41
I have but one question: What the devil is Homestar Runner?

Lol, I think Toefur has just answered our question!

Homestar Runner

And I disagree that anything can get too popular. I only found Homestar a couple of weeks ago, but since I have recommended him to a few of my friends, and they may do the same, and it will just go on. It's nice to have an 'inside joke', but I think it's better when it's a joke you can talk about with as many people as you can.

LONG LIVE COACH Z!

TheYak

Quote from: remix0r on Tue 09/09/2003 09:51:12
Certainly, but I'd be willing to wager that this is just as much a reflection of the listener than of the artist.
Yeah, this reply really digressed quite a bit.  Ah, whatever.  I'm always glad of an opportunity to spout off.

Actually, I didn't wanna just quote the whole thing, so the above is somewhat representative.  I was merely playing the devil's advocate.  I often tire of the elitists who scream, "Pop music sucks!"  It couldn't suck in its entirety since it is designated popular-music for a reason.  I mean, someone must like it (Not me, no, but someone).  In the same respect, it's irritating when someone posts, "What? You're just now hearing about this? WTF?"  Such people are too in love with the idea of being in a minority group that was "Here first"  ..  they've lost sight of what it felt like to enjoy a site/band/movie for the first time.  Me, I love introducing people to things they previously didn't know about and seeing if they enjoy it.  By my post, I wasn't disagreeing with everyone in the anti-elitist revolution but was trying to explain that the other side has a point (in some cases).  I'm glad someone brought up South Park.. it's a good "what if?" example.  What if South Park hadn't hit that balance between the people who found it offensive and those who found it hilarious?  If there wasn't enough interest from the non-anal people out there, the show probably would've been toned down a bit for more appeal to the masses and thus compromised its integrity for popularity's sake, estranging the few fans that loved it for what it was.  Of course, this didn't happen but similar things are happening constantly.

As far as "selling-out" goes..  I can understand it.  If a band figures they'll actually make money by tweaking their stuff for mass-appeal (or even just more appeal) then who can blame them for it?  Would we really tell people that they must remain broke just for the sake of unpopularity?  Will a band you like be able to keep playing when they can't afford food, just for the sake of artistic integrity?  I begin to wonder if the politicians, big businesses, and popular artists are merely figureheads and if society is actually run by an underground organization that determines what our way of life should be like and establishes all standards.  We have become a world of critics.

Sylpher

I can see both sides of the arguement...I proudly wear my SB shirt around and get a comment here or there about it but most people have no idea what it is..

I do know, however, that will change...as soon as I start seeing Homestar runner shirts everywhere those couple times people say 'Hey man great shirt! Did you see last weeks e-mail blah blah..." will be gone.

No more neat conversations about something nobody else around has any idea about. Such is life though...Only reason to blame the brothers is for being so damn funny or appealing.

Ali

It's like the whole Christ thing. Jesus comes up with a few ideas, tells about twelve of his friends and it's all cool. Then loads of people latch on, the Pope gets involved and everyone's all: "GLO-OOOOO-O-OOOOO-O-OOOOO-ORIA! HOSANNAH IN EXCELSIS!" and then...
Quote from: MrColossal on Tue 09/09/2003 06:59:29it's like, woah dude, chill

remixor

Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk