Our foreign minister has been murdered

Started by Andail, Thu 11/09/2003 09:44:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Andail

This is fucking weird...some sicko stabbed her in her chest last night and this morning she died in hospital.
Anna Lindh was one of the most popular politicians in Sweden, and I personally liked her a lot. She was a national symbol of democracy.

In Sweden we have this really fierce debate going on about the european monitary union - which we will vote about on sunday - and if this is an act against her stance in this issue I really resent how seriously some people take it...
Christ, I hate this....she was really loveable and calm and reasonable...there were no reasons whatsoever  to hate her like that

FruitTree

I read it in the news paper this morning (that she got stabbed)
I just heard on the radio at work that she died
I'm really sorry man.
do you think it'll have any effect on the votes?

looks like things are really getting tense over there.

Barcik

Andail, how come your politicians go shopping alone without any security?
Currently Working On: Monkey Island 1.5

SSH

Because the politicians in Andail's country have a more mature response to terrorist activity than "an eye for an eye", maybe?

Barcik

I'll ignore the not-so-gentle jab, and say that this is totally irrelevant. This case proves that there can always be an extremist willing to take matters into his own hands. Furthermore, a (former?) Swedish Prime-Minister was murdered in 1986. They have to learn from mistakes.

DGMacphee

Also, to add to SSH's response, there's hardly any crime in Sweden, compared to most countries around the world.

QuoteFurthermore, a (former?) Swedish Prime-Minister was murdered in 1986. They have to learn from mistakes.

That's just irrational paranoia -- post ergo proctor hoc is never always true.

Besides, JFK had bodyguards and look what happened to him.

Bodyguards don't always solve security problems.
ABRACADABRA YOUR SPELLS ARE OKAY

DGMacphee Designs - http://www.sylpher.com/DGMacphee/
AGS Awards - http://www.sylpher.com/AGSAwards/

Instagame - http://www.sylpher.com/ig/
"Ah, look! I've just shat a rainbow." - Yakspit

Esseb

I just read about it. What the hell is wrong with people?

YOke

Well. It's still more likely to get killed in a car crash. This was not an attempt to overthrow government, just the actions of one disturbed individual. If anything it should inspire politicians to go for better mental healthcare. He could just as well have killed any other celebrity. No reason to get all panicky. Sad, but it happens from time to time. Please don't shut yourself in your house because of this. Watch "Bowling for Columbine" again.
No disrespect to the life lost, and not to lessen the tradgedy, but theese things happen.

Condolances from Norway.

Enlightenment is not something you earn, it's something you pay for the rest of your life.

SSH

Quote from: Barcik on Thu 11/09/2003 12:36:01
This case proves that there can always be an extremist willing to take matters into his own hands.
In which case, an "eye for an eye" policy can only provoke and make matters worse, as it certainly does not have the effect of stopping violence.

When is one side or the other going to be big and say "we're above tit-for-tat" and start the road to peace?

Sorry for hijacking your thread Andail. It's astounding, this murder: why would anyone feel so strongly about the Euro? I can only guess that there is some other reason behind it which hopefully the police can discover.

Andail

It has been tradition in sweden that politicians don't have body guards.
Both Olof Palme, our former prime minister and the role model for all social democrats (n.b democrats!) and this foreign minister were killed in an ordinary everyday situation, walking around downtown like any other citizen.
Again, questions will arise whether they should have body guards or not.

Yoke, I'm not trying to say that her life was more worth than any other's, but it's always sad when people die because of their opinion in a matter that is very unselfish. She wouldn't gain anything personally from what she fought for, but people have been crazy lately, demonizing eachother and being over suspicious.
The murderer had been seen tearing down posters from the yes-campaign, so, well, there was a political motive behind it

Barcik

SSH, you are taking things way off-topic. What does basic security have to do with our lovely little local conflict you are so gently implying to? All I said is that a politician doesn't need to enter a store alone as if he is just an average person. Even if there is little crime in Sweden, why take the risk?

DG, bodyguards don't always help, but I'm quite sure a pair of bodyguards could stop one man with a knife. Again, why take an unnecessary risk and travel without one?

Andail

Barcik, there's a symbol value in this.
Our politicians want to be a part of the people. We see them on the street, and we know they live lives similar to ours.
Now our society is getting as fucked up as the rest of the world.
No offense, the rest of the world.

DGMacphee

Quote from: Barcik on Thu 11/09/2003 13:34:13
DG, bodyguards don't always help, but I'm quite sure a pair of bodyguards could stop one man with a knife. Again, why take an unnecessary risk and travel without one?

If that's the case, then I will hire some bodyguards for myself tomorrow.

You never know when someone will come stab me while I'm out to get the newspaper, or going to buy some milk at the shops.

In fact, Uni has been pretty dangerous of late, what with all those other students around, so I'll take my bodyguards with me too.

*giggle*  ;D
ABRACADABRA YOUR SPELLS ARE OKAY

DGMacphee Designs - http://www.sylpher.com/DGMacphee/
AGS Awards - http://www.sylpher.com/AGSAwards/

Instagame - http://www.sylpher.com/ig/
"Ah, look! I've just shat a rainbow." - Yakspit

SSH

Again, sorry for my earlier OT stuff, Andail

I admire that "part of the people" attitude, Andail. I wish I'd known about it before. Our PM is talking about getting "Blair Force One" private plane, just list "one of the people"!

What kind of turnout do you get at elections there? UK election turnouts have been going down for ages: maybe a "part of the people" attitude would help?

As for the security issue: I know that I want to live in a society where I don't feel that I or my family going to get attacked (fatally or otherwise) just walking down the street. Yet, not far from where I live a teenager called Jodi Jones was brutally murdered a couple of months ago.

In other places in the world, people are dying every day in violent attacks. Whatever the cuases of this violence, I don't think that anyone in the violent places can say "You should be more like us" on security. Having bodyguards gives out a number of messages: "I want to keep you away from me" and "I don't trust you" being two of the most confrontational.

Great respect to this lady who died becuase she trusted her fellow countrymen to behave in a civilised way. I hope that Sweden's politicans carry on trusting their own people despite this terrible event.

makri

A great loss to all Nordic countries. I hope this incident won't distance politicians from the people in Sweden - or here.
Thud. Thud. Thud. Splat.

Gonzo

I saw it on the news last night when they were still trying to save her...ever so sad that they couldn't. She seemed like a nice woman and there is just no reason for this terrible violence. As I think the Swedish prime minister mentioned, it's a tragic abuse of Sweden's very open, trusting and usually peaceful society. I'm just very sorry to hear that it happened.

Barcik

Quote from: DGMacphee on Thu 11/09/2003 13:53:34
Quote from: Barcik on Thu 11/09/2003 13:34:13

If that's the case, then I will hire some bodyguards for myself tomorrow.

You never know when someone will come stab me while I'm out to get the newspaper, or going to buy some milk at the shops.

In fact, Uni has been pretty dangerous of late, what with all those other students around, so I'll take my bodyguards with me too.

*giggle*  ;D

* Barcik puts a contract on DG's life.
:D

Seriously now, I believe that the chances of that happening are a little higher when you're a famous politician.

SSH, I would like to live in such a utopian society just the same, but this is unrealistic, at least not right now (By the way, I know about Jodi Jones because I was in Scotland at the time of her murder. Did they find the murderer?).

The principal of being among fellow countrymen is nice, but in my eyes, the risk is not worth it. However, it has nothing to do with the lack of security here. I believe that person, in any country, as a potential target should be never caught off-guard.

I'm really sorry for what has happened, all swedish AGS'ers. It hasn't been to good to me neither today.
one of my former classmates killed herself.
Albert Barillé and Hergé, we love you

Esseb

Two politicans murdered in 17 years for unrelated causes, hardly a cause for concern in my opinion. If there was a genuine threat however then sure, but employing bodyguards "just in case"? That's like not driving cars because you're afraid someone might crash into you.

taryuu

right on esseb.  tho if the swedes decide they want to pay for around the clock protection for every member for their government it'll happen.
I like having low self-esteem.  It makes me feel special.

taryuu?

Nacho

I was 7 when Olof Palme was shoot dead... I can´t remember anything of his policy except that he was a pro-ETA (Euskadi Ta Askatuasuna, Freedom for Basque Country)... Maybe he was a good man with only a big confussion about that issue... but he was defending killers, even demanding money for financiating them.

The most curious about that is that I agree with catalan and Basque nationalists, the arrogance behaviour of the people of the capital of Spain (Madrid), makes me feel sympathy for them. But I feel no sympathy for terrorists, never, that´s why I feel worried about that poor woman killed today,

But, it´s been just for the Euro issue? the killer must be sick... don´t blame swedish for that, there is crazy people everywere... :P
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

AndersM

Quote from: Barcik on Thu 11/09/2003 12:05:40
Andail, how come your politicians go shopping alone without any security?

'cos we havn't had any attacs on politicians since 1986 when the prime minister Olof Palme go asassinated. It has been considered safe for politicians to walk the streets like common people and only the prime minister had bodyguards, but hopefully the politicians now opens their eyes and does something about the increasing crimerate in our so-called safe society...

Ali

I hadn't heard of your foreign minister until the attack. She was described as a human rights camaigner and a prominent politician.

It so sad to hear that someone like that has been attacked, I can't think of many prominent British politicians who could be called human rights campaigners. It sounds like Sweden was luck to have her.

I am sorry.

Pumaman

I think it's a remarkable achievement that your politicians are still walking round without bodyguards in this day and age. It's ever so sad that this has happened... I'm not sure what the attacker hoped to achieve because he has now no doubt undermined the No campaign somewhat.

It does make you think about what sort of society we live in these days. There are debates over here at the moment about whether the police should be given guns - but it would seem such a shame to have to go in that direction, it seems like giving up hope.

I really do hope that your politicians can carry on acting as part of society, and won't be put off by this horrible attack.

Rincewind

Hm, yes, it's all I've been able to watch on the TV today - All other programs are canceled due to her death.
Even though I'm not really pro-euro(I'm very, very confused - I find both sides to have good points), it's always sad to see someone so concerned for peace and equality being killed like that. (Just like Palme, that was, as mentioned earlier, also a great loss for the democratic society.)

All in all, it's been a really black day for Sweden today - Not only was Anna Lindh killed, but also has a 16-year old girl, who has been missing for some days now, been found dead (Pretty close to where I live, as well) and a five year-old kid has been stabbed to death by a psychically disturbed man...  Shit...

I too am starting to wonder where the heck the world is coming to...

Las Naranjas

Hehe, maybe the world is finally coming to Sweden.
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

Matt Brown

I hope not.

Im very sad about what happened. Sweden, norway, these were some of the countries that stoof for peace, and one of the last places I would think a leader would be killed.

I hope Sweden doesnt pull a US and do something stupid and rash
word up

YOke

Quote from: Pumaman on Thu 11/09/2003 20:41:45
There are debates over here at the moment about whether the police should be given guns - but it would seem such a shame to have to go in that direction, it seems like giving up hope.

As far as I know UK and Norway are the only countries in the world with unarmed police. Is this true? Any people out there from other nations where police do not carry guns?

Enlightenment is not something you earn, it's something you pay for the rest of your life.

Nacho

I think they´re just the "bobbies" who don´t carry weapons (the bobbies are that sea blue police, with that funny helmets...). They´re a kind of  "friendly police of the people" and they´re in duty for traffic issues, helping people... They don´t usually deal with dangerous people.

I think that the penalties for woundering a "bobby" or killing him are very very hard because of the fact that ´they´re supposed to be "peaceful"... Is that true?

Edit: Sorry obout the big photo. I just wanted to' explain who are the bobbies, feel free to remove the photo, moderators...
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

AndersM

Quote from: YOke on Fri 12/09/2003 11:49:11

As far as I know UK and Norway are the only countries in the world with unarmed police. Is this true? Any people out there from other nations where police do not carry guns?

Swedish police are armed.

I just heard they might have found a videotape of the killer. "expressen" said so.
Albert Barillé and Hergé, we love you

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk