Our foreign minister has been murdered

Started by Andail, Thu 11/09/2003 09:44:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Nacho

I was 7 when Olof Palme was shoot dead... I can´t remember anything of his policy except that he was a pro-ETA (Euskadi Ta Askatuasuna, Freedom for Basque Country)... Maybe he was a good man with only a big confussion about that issue... but he was defending killers, even demanding money for financiating them.

The most curious about that is that I agree with catalan and Basque nationalists, the arrogance behaviour of the people of the capital of Spain (Madrid), makes me feel sympathy for them. But I feel no sympathy for terrorists, never, that´s why I feel worried about that poor woman killed today,

But, it´s been just for the Euro issue? the killer must be sick... don´t blame swedish for that, there is crazy people everywere... :P
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

AndersM

Quote from: Barcik on Thu 11/09/2003 12:05:40
Andail, how come your politicians go shopping alone without any security?

'cos we havn't had any attacs on politicians since 1986 when the prime minister Olof Palme go asassinated. It has been considered safe for politicians to walk the streets like common people and only the prime minister had bodyguards, but hopefully the politicians now opens their eyes and does something about the increasing crimerate in our so-called safe society...

Ali

I hadn't heard of your foreign minister until the attack. She was described as a human rights camaigner and a prominent politician.

It so sad to hear that someone like that has been attacked, I can't think of many prominent British politicians who could be called human rights campaigners. It sounds like Sweden was luck to have her.

I am sorry.

Pumaman

I think it's a remarkable achievement that your politicians are still walking round without bodyguards in this day and age. It's ever so sad that this has happened... I'm not sure what the attacker hoped to achieve because he has now no doubt undermined the No campaign somewhat.

It does make you think about what sort of society we live in these days. There are debates over here at the moment about whether the police should be given guns - but it would seem such a shame to have to go in that direction, it seems like giving up hope.

I really do hope that your politicians can carry on acting as part of society, and won't be put off by this horrible attack.

Rincewind

Hm, yes, it's all I've been able to watch on the TV today - All other programs are canceled due to her death.
Even though I'm not really pro-euro(I'm very, very confused - I find both sides to have good points), it's always sad to see someone so concerned for peace and equality being killed like that. (Just like Palme, that was, as mentioned earlier, also a great loss for the democratic society.)

All in all, it's been a really black day for Sweden today - Not only was Anna Lindh killed, but also has a 16-year old girl, who has been missing for some days now, been found dead (Pretty close to where I live, as well) and a five year-old kid has been stabbed to death by a psychically disturbed man...  Shit...

I too am starting to wonder where the heck the world is coming to...

Las Naranjas

Hehe, maybe the world is finally coming to Sweden.
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

Matt Brown

I hope not.

Im very sad about what happened. Sweden, norway, these were some of the countries that stoof for peace, and one of the last places I would think a leader would be killed.

I hope Sweden doesnt pull a US and do something stupid and rash
word up

YOke

Quote from: Pumaman on Thu 11/09/2003 20:41:45
There are debates over here at the moment about whether the police should be given guns - but it would seem such a shame to have to go in that direction, it seems like giving up hope.

As far as I know UK and Norway are the only countries in the world with unarmed police. Is this true? Any people out there from other nations where police do not carry guns?

Enlightenment is not something you earn, it's something you pay for the rest of your life.

Nacho

I think they´re just the "bobbies" who don´t carry weapons (the bobbies are that sea blue police, with that funny helmets...). They´re a kind of  "friendly police of the people" and they´re in duty for traffic issues, helping people... They don´t usually deal with dangerous people.

I think that the penalties for woundering a "bobby" or killing him are very very hard because of the fact that ´they´re supposed to be "peaceful"... Is that true?

Edit: Sorry obout the big photo. I just wanted to' explain who are the bobbies, feel free to remove the photo, moderators...
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

AndersM

Quote from: YOke on Fri 12/09/2003 11:49:11

As far as I know UK and Norway are the only countries in the world with unarmed police. Is this true? Any people out there from other nations where police do not carry guns?

Swedish police are armed.

I just heard they might have found a videotape of the killer. "expressen" said so.
Albert Barillé and Hergé, we love you

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk