Flame wars? (yeah, again)

Started by Andail, Wed 01/10/2003 10:27:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Andail

Thought I should put up a thread for people to tell their opinion on the matter before starting it on the competitions forum....some people might think it's lame and bad for the community spirit....and yeah this has been proposed before, but what the heck...

Basically, flame wars is about mocking your opponent in a special thread, and when your round is over you shake hands and there are no hard feelings, cause all the frustration is let out under control circomstances.

To see what it could look like, visit:
http://www.i-mockery.net

only that place lacks imagination and wit, prolly because they've been doing it for like ages and nobody really cares anymore...
just don't post anything on their forums, we had a boring forum-war some year ago and it took months before they'd stop pestering our nice and well-mannered boards with their generic geek-insults.

Our competitions would be well organised and carefully supervised by moderators...and only last for some week or so...than we'd vote for the best mockers

any thoughts?

Nacho

Hey!1!!1!

That´s like the Battles seen in 8-mile??? I like it, but I´m not sure if that will work in this forums, because we love us each others a lot  ::)

No... Seriously... I couldn´t do it... I could do it if I write a final paragraph in brackets explaining the "why" of the "mockings", if not, it wouldn´t be fun.
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

TheYak

I'm all for it..  but I would suggest that we put in place a warning that it's only for the thick-skinned and that anyone taking it personally would be shot.  Basically, it becomes a debate forums without end.. if moderated, it could be quite interesting.  If not, I'm sure it'll dissolve into name-calling and stupidity.  I wouldn't mind giving it a shot.  It's an interesting mental exercise.

Pumaman

Sounds an interesting idea, and in a way it would be a test of character for those taking part, making sure they can deal with being insulted without going on a killing spree in return  ;)

I'd imagine it being a single thread in the C&A forum, and if things did get out of hand it could just be locked/deleted.

Evil

No. I dont like the idea. It has taken me a shit load of time to get the respect I have now which isnt much. I dont think I, or anyone else, should lose their respect. It will happen, I'm shure of it. We dont want another Hostomov or whatever the hell his name is, do we?

remixor

Oh, it would work, alright.  Better to have a moderated flame war than real ones all over the place.  I'm for it.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Trapezoid

Yeah, cuz we have real flame wars here ALL the time...
I dunno, this idea could be a lot of fun if we kept it in the right tone, but I do have a feeling that it might cause some problems and unleash some rather unpleasant sides to various members....

MillsJROSS

I think it's a good idea, for releaving tension. It should be moderated, of course. Not much else I have to say, but aye!

and play Ace Quest

-MillsJROSS

remixor

F*ck you and your stupid Ace Quest game!  All you ever do is tell people to play Ace Quest!!!11  "Oh look, I'm MillsJROSS, PLAY ACE QUESTIO!! lksdgf"

Oh, you mean we haven't started yet?
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Nacho

Lol! And you have no neeeeeck!  ;D
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

Gilbert

* Gilbot V7000a grabs a flame thrower and burn and burn and burn...

FLAMES! FLAMES! FLAMES!

Alright, I think someone really starts it in the competition forum and see if it works. We can have it locked anytime whenever necessary.

Andail

We could either have matches, like 1 vs 1 or 2 vs 2, and it would be like the debate competition, or we could probably just have one big thread where everybody flamed everybody. The first one would be more exciting and a bit more competative, the second definitaly more chaotic...
What do you think?

Gilbert

Actually I'm for free debating flaming, as it's just normal in a real flame war that people are just attacking each other without good reasons.

So anyone can join anytime and support any view, and can alway change their minds and type otherwise (that's what makes it different from debates), and some of the more logical may analysis on things, comment on inconstencies of others, etc.

Of course, most important thing is that people who participate MUST be concious that this is just a game, and all the cursings, personal attacks are limited to that one single thread. And peace be with us in other places.

I think one good start is to make it start by 2 posters,  arguing about something, each of them has opposite view on it, and let others join.

Robert Eric

Let's go for it.  I'm bored enough to read all of it, and maybe even participate.  There are some people here I'd like to flame *rubs hands together*
Ã, Ã, 

Miez

Fighting for fun - jeez, don't you people have anything better to do? (making adventure games, for instance).
If calling each other d*ckhead is your thing, then have a lot of fun with it, but count me out.

Trapezoid

Well, it's on. I say we post commentary in this thread.

TheYak

I like the freedom to be an asshole.  However, I don't think the n00b discussion is the best way to kick it off. The only people that might be permanently offended by this thread are the ones who don't understand the community (i.e. the n00bies).  It's off to a fairly pleasant start, though.

Matt Brown

good grief...there is more to flaming then cussing all willy nilly. My eyes bleed.

oh wait. they're bleeding cause I looked at the photoshop thread this week. carry on
word up

Trapezoid

No, there's more to intelligent discussions than cussing. Ever seen a real flame war before?

Besides, I've only used a handful of curse words so far. Plenty of vulgarity, but it has substance. It isn't just cussing.

Matt Brown

psst. trap. I said that there WAS more to flame wars then just cussing...not the other way around. see? we agree!

btw...wasnt attacking you, thats what the flame thread is for. just stating what I felt, which I suppose would fall into "commentary", which is the purpose of this thread.

I'll shut up now, I dont want my comments spilling into this "flame-free' zone

carry on kids
word up

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk