Hurts your eyes to look at the sun?

Started by | Bass |, Thu 29/07/2004 07:17:46

Previous topic - Next topic

| Bass |

Does it really hurt your eyes to look at the sun?

A guy my dad works with drives the shuttle for Brent Brown Chevorlet (where my dad works) He used to have, I think it was like 20/200 or something, bad vision and would have to wear glasses or contacts if he wanted to keep his job... He heard about some indian story wherer they would stare at the sun to improve there vision.  Well, he asked his doctor if it really was bad for your eyes to stare at the sun, and his doctor said "no" so he did it.  He stares at the sun now, ever monday at noon for just five minutes.  The weird thing is that he doesn't need glasses or contacts anymore.  Infact during a recent eye exam he came out with BETTER then 20/20 vision.  I want to read up about it a little more, and maybe even try it for myself

p.s. not one of his six kids need glasses or contacts either
For now, this is were I get off...

Previously BassFisherman

LGM

wow.. That's such bullcrap.. If the sun can burn a hole in a camera tube, I'm sure it'll do a helluva lot worse to your EYE.
You. Me. Denny's.

| Bass |

I didn't believe it either, but I haven't seen him with glasses for 5 years, and he's got some medical condition where he can't wear contacts anymore...I also was there when he took the exam, and I've personally watched him stare at the sun for five minutes

Previously BassFisherman

Timosity

I wouldn't trust this information too much, it may be possible but I'd imagine doing this long term would cause cataract blindness premeturely.

I've never stared at the sun longer than a couple of seconds at a time, it just makes your eyes water and leaves spots in your eyes so you cant see for a little while.

to stare for 5mins, man, that would be hard, and I don't think I'd risk it unless there was more evidence from a larger study than 1 person.

Interesting though

| Bass |

I'm not going to try it untill I get solid evidence, but my doctor also said that starring at the sun isn't great for your eyes, but its not bad either ??? He also said if its hard, then blink repeatedly-I don't know, I'm gonna research this more

Previously BassFisherman

Ali

Quote from: BassFisherman on Thu 29/07/2004 07:17:46
p.s. not one of his six kids need glasses or contacts either

The sun had nothing to do with that - whatever happened to his eyes his DNA didn't change!

Eyes are light sensors.Ã,  I can't imagine playing a loud noise into a mic would improve its sensitivity, so I don't see why a shining very very bright light into someone's eyes would improve their vision.

EDIT: That answers my concerns, though I'm still doubtful. Luckily I live in England and wouldn't have the option to look at the sun even if I wanted to.

| Bass |

his six kids have done the same he did, and all have perfect vision..if anything, I think light makes your pupils go ALOT smaller, which stretches and strengthens the muscle allowing it to "fix" your cornea etc

Previously BassFisherman

Sam.

how can you hve beeter than 20-20? LIke telescopic eyes with xray powers and thermal detectors?  Sweet.
Bye bye thankyou I love you.

Las Naranjas

Um, about exactly half the population has better than 20/20 vision.

20/20 means you can see at 20 feet what the average person can see at 20 feet.

20/20 means dead average [and it's only to this that most opticians test, sicne you don't need glasses if you're average or better].

There are aborigines in WA that have an average of 60/20 vision
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

Dart

Yes, it really does hurt my eyes to look at the sun. I can only force myself to look upon it for three seconds before my eyes feel tired and I have to look away.

Heh, I'm lucky I have 20/20 vision. I'm surprised that the years I've spent gazing at TV and computer screens haven't screwed up my sight yet.

Raggit

Even just THINKING about staring at the sun makes my eyes water!  :'(
--- BARACK OBAMA '08 ---
www.barackobama.com

Tiki

I heard somewhere that staring at the sun burns a hole in your retina....and like somebody said before, you could go blind prematurely, or something like that.

Haddas

Damn you! Now I just HAD to try staring at the sun, and what do you know, I went blind. THANKS A LOT!

evenwolf

Well I don't see the sun much and my eyes hurt when I'm simply outside during the day.Ã,  I think before I try staring at the sun, I should just try to hang around outside and stare at everyday objects.

like the road,Ã,  or the mail box, or whatever I happen to be interacting with at the time.
"I drink a thousand shipwrecks.'"

Darth Mandarb

elss ddig hdhds id jdkjskdf fdkd iadavcxnvb owi nbxb. nzbnzbz obzoinb zbz x.xc cnb bnbnzxkc ovb ob lsdeapiytgg nd sa cc.

[ translation circuites activated ]

Well ... I just stared at the sun for five minutes.  Not only have I suddenly realized the entire world has gone dark, but my typing has gone downhill.

NOTE:
If you stare at the sun you're a moron.

Phemar

Mr Jake

Anything NEW you wanna share Zor

:P ::)

Barbarian

Man, that's gotta be one of the biggest loads of crap I heard of/ read of, that staring at the sun will improve your eyesight.  Yeah, more like drasticly reduce your eyesight.

Sorry, I usually don't get involved in such nonsense posts, but really, if you follow such a suggestion like 'staring at the sun will improve your eyesight' , then there's a great risk you'll just be doing injury to yourself. And if that suggestion or story was some kind of idea as a "joke" then it's a very immature and stupid thing to do.  And if you're truely foolish enough to believe that staring at the sun will improve your eyesight, then, I really own a bridge over the East River to Brooklyn - New York, I'll sell it to you real cheap!

PS: Btw I hear standing in a roaring fire for a few minutes will clear any sinus problems you have..  :P *Not

PPS: Use your common sense.. Oops, I guess for some that's un-common sense.
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

Rave

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

Babar

*Bab' goes all scientific here
The part of your eye that would get exercise (theoretically, don't actually try this) if you stare at the sun is not the same as the part of the eye that controls focusing, distance viewing and general eyesight "need-to-wear-glasses" problems. Sure, if your pupils contract enough, the light get difracted and magnified, but the scope of your vision would have decreased. If you want to exercise your eyes, to help focusing and such problems, do this: look at objects very near your eye, and then at objects far away. Repeat. That is it. Or wear glasses. Or if you are rich, get an operation.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk