Dancing (and other illustrations)

Started by Igor, Tue 22/08/2006 12:36:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Igor

Long time no posting (again :) )
Here's some illo for a t-shirt

Ubel

It's probably just my opinion, but I think adding a slight amount of contrast would make it perfect. You are good. :)

Haddas

Lose the clothes! Otherwise perfect!

And the contrast thingy

loominous

I usually don't have anything to suggest when it comes to your pics - they seem fit their aim perfectly -  but this one seemed like a departure in style, perhaps to accomodate the client.

(Animated)

I think the thing that bothered me the most was the rather heavy makeup, as well as some of the saturated colours, which made her look somewhat like a, excuse the exhaggeration, drunken prostitute at a gym.

I think another thing that added to this was the glossiness of the face.

-

The things I altered was:

The lip and eye shade makeup, which I toned down to give her a more natural healthy look.

Seperated her eyes apart a bit, by deleting a bit of the centre lines, to make her eyes smaller and prettier.

Changed the lighting, to give the impression of strong sunlight, causing overexposure, removing the specular on the cheek, which makes her skin look more smooth and healthy, and also gives it a bright summer day look. The lighting was only applied to certain areas, to draw the attention to the face.

Changed her pelvis direction, to avoid a strict sideview and make the pose more dynamic (it now twists more to the left).

Probably some other thing which I've forgotten.

-

Hope some of the suggestions might help, and I'm looking forward to your next work.
Looking for a writer

MashPotato

Looks great! I really like your style ^_^

A suggestion: while the colouring looks like you were intending it to look like a loose, free style (which I think suits the energy of the picture), the brush strokes on the thigh of the raised leg look a little too messy to me, and seem out of place. 
I also think the brush strokes that go "out of the lines" by her raised hand, lowered foot, back, and butt could be cleaned up.  While this may have been intended, I think it would look best to keep the curves as clean and smooth as possible.

Igor

Woo, thanks everyone for critics and suggestions and especially to Loom for his great edit! :)

Loominous: it's a pleasure to see your paint-over :) Really like what you did with her left leg (i'll fix it)!
About highlights- i deliberately decided to left them out. I had them on pic at first (almost exactly the same as on your edit), but found out i don't really want to go that way.. i decided for more "flat" look, with only a few subtle shadows and highlights.
As for her face.. it looks a lot prettier on your edit!.. but at the same time, in my opinion, a lot more generic too. I think version with make-up gives her more character and so makes her interesting.

MashPotato- great suggestion about trousers :) I'm not sure about them also, so i'll play some more with them! (don't want too clean and polished look either)

And some more doodling hehe ;)

Telephone sketches (drawn while talking on phone):

Trying out pantone markers:

Summer sketching:

SinSin

your amazing i like your style
Currently working on a project!

Evil

The brown on the pants looks bad. She looks very elegant, but she has dirt over her pants and behind.

Also, where are all of these cute girls that wander around topless?

Mordalles

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

Andail

Awesome art.
While I can agree on some of Loom's points, I sort of enjoyed the original water-colour feeling of the painting. The exaggarated values and highlights certainly added a touch of something wear-and-tear, but it also delivered something comical a la Franquin.

yarooze

awesome picture! The girl ist very cute. IMHO she looks better without makeup (second picture). But it is possible that I simple like girls without makeup. ::)

Only one thing: Her left hand. I tryed, it is painfull to make something like she did.Ã,  ;)

2 Igor: The boy looks in the false direction...Ã,  ;)
My Blog

Igor

Thanks everyone, appreciate your comments! :)
Here's some more of my recent illos (for children mag):

animals on this illo are stickers:

mascot design:

Sektor 13

*Hehe, HUDE SO ! Se posebej te tazadnje :)*

Very nice indeed ! Will those last pictures be used in children magazine and which one if so ?

buloght

1. You are too good.  :o
2. I hate you for it.
3. I suggest you make the best graphically AGS game ever.

Nikolas

Igor, you're amazing. Period.

Now on my artisitc problems/suggestions/ideas/etc...

I see this illo are stickers and wonder: All the 'characters', and there are a lot of them, are mae with exaclty the same technique and the same ideas. Would it be better to alter a couple a little? Would it made the image more interesting maybe? I mean keeping the same technique gives coherence but lakcs maybe interest.

My take and my comparison in other forms of art, and not graphic arts exclusively. Don't take into account fully what I say.

n3tgraph

is there a connection between igor and neole???

Where is neole anyway?
* N3TGraph airguitars!

Ali

There's very little I could suggest with regard to improving your character designs. I particularly love the looseness of the sketches.

What I'd like to see is how you could bring character to a scene without characters, if you see what I mean. These are great character studies, but I'd love to see how you deal with composition and mis-en-scene.

Igor

Sektor 13- Zivjo :) it's for magazine called Beo-beo (first issue will be out in september- if i know correctly)

Nikolas- good ideas! :) Yeah, it could be better if i'd draw a few completely different fishes.

n3tgraph- no connection, but i'm also wondering where is Neole??

Ali- i'm not sure if i understood you correctly. Do you mean if i do backgrounds?

Ali

Sorry, I wasn't clear. In adventure game terms, backgrounds are what I was talking about. I've seen some atmospheric locations in your work, but usually framing a character. I'd be interested to see how you'd bring character and energy to something like a still-life or a landscape.

Igor

Oh, i see.. eee.. i don't do much landscapes. Sometimes yes, but i'm not very fond of drawing them. Everything i work on is usualy very character based (be it animations, illustrations or comics). I guess i find them the most fun to draw or something.. backgrounds on the other hand are a pain in the a**

Actually the only time i draw backgrounds is, when they are completely necessary (and there's no one else who would do them ;)).

Quote from: Ali on Sun 27/08/2006 11:07:59
I'd be interested to see how you'd bring character and energy to something like a still-life or a landscape.

As i said, i don't have much to show, but here's some in-game background work for an educational game i'm working on right now.
Quick sketch of swamp:

WIP of first layer (the background will be in 3 layers):

And a few scenes from Ignac intro animation:

(a few BGs from game are also on my web site).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk