Hourgame Saturday, October 3rd [winners announced, yay]

Started by FSi++, Sat 03/10/2009 11:38:31

Previous topic - Next topic

FSi++

Hello and welcome to a hopefully weekly event, the Hourgame Saturday.
The purpose of Hourgame Saturday is, to encourage the amateur game-making, or to put it bluntly, to make you tear your ass off your chair and finally make something.
In this activity your task is to make an AGS game within a strict and a very short deadline (i.e. one hour).

Timeline:
The event takes place every (every other?) Saturday, starting at 7:00 pm GMT, when the theme is revealed on the IRC and in this thread. The participants then have one hour to make their entries and 15 more minutes for uploading. In brief: the deadline for entries is 8:15 pm.
Then the voting takes place till the Sunday afternoon

Basic rules:
- Participants should join IRC for rules and updates, but stickam/tokbox is fine as long as there's someone to relay the information.
- The theme is set by the previous week's winner and by the contest's host in event of his/her absence.
- While it is not forbidden for the theme-setters to participate in the activity, their games cannot be voted for (to prevent accusations of cheating and to discourage regular participation).
- Instead, theme-setters are encouraged to draw trophies for the contest's winners.
- Making your game from scratch is strongly encouraged, though it is not forbidden to use music or artwork from public sources if you are allowed to (e.g. using public domain music tracks in your game is OK, but not really necessary). It is also possible to use a pre-existent AGS template for your game (e.g. Verb-Coin GUI).
- You cannot use the stuff you've made earlier, because this competition is about making something new.

Uploading:
Suggested hosts to upload your entry to are:
- http://www.mediafire.com/
- http://www.sendspace.com/
- http://www.rapidshare.com/
- Or your own place.

Voting:
When voting, award every game with 1 to 10 score points (1 being lowest possible score). Entry with the highest score wins. In case of a draw the winner is decided upon a fight! To DEATH!! On CHAINSAWS AND LEPRECHAUNS!!! ...er, we'll see when we get there.

P.S. (READ THIS FIRST!)
That's a draft of the rules, revised a little by CodeJunkie.
The first compo will be today, yes.
Please post here if you're ok with the timeline (and especially if the timeline is NOT ok for you, but you'd like to join otherwise).

ThreeOhFour

Well... I think 7:00pm GMT is like 3:00am for me. I'd join if it wasn't but hey, it's not your fault I'm a loser from Australia.

Enjoy your hourgames, folks!

Bulbapuck

I'm sort of confused when it comes to GMT, could someone tell me what time this is posted in GMT?
If it's what I think it is, then the time is slightly annoying, but I'm probably still in :)

FSi++

Quote from: Bulbapuck on Sat 03/10/2009 11:56:51
I'm sort of confused when it comes to GMT, could someone tell me what time this is posted in GMT?
If it's what I think it is, then the time is slightly annoying, but I'm probably still in :)

Now when I post it it's around 12:08 GMT.

Bulbapuck

Thanks FSi! that was what I was suspecting.
There is a chance that I'm slightly drunk by then := But I don't think there's a "don't drink and make games" rule, so all is well.

ThreeOhFour

Well, seeing as I couldn't be in on your cool GMT timezone I had an hourgame competition all by myself, in my own Western Australian timezone, from 7:00pm to 8:00pm

Jesus freaking crisps, I forgot how hard it is to make a game in an hour! It was down to the very last minute to squeeze all this crud in.

Nevertheless, I am slightly insane to present the 3 colour marvel that is:

CAPTAIN HAT

DOWNLOAD SUCKAS

(left click uses, right click looks, because of time restrictions there is no inventory gui, so CAPTAIN HAT automatically uses his items when you interact with things and people)

m0ds

Yo, if this is a regular occurence I think it's worth getting this an official place on the Competitions board rather than Talk & Chat. I'm sure after another successful edition it will be considered.

Akatosh

FSi++

bicilotti

Nice story Ben, there is a sort of common trait in all the female characters in your works

Spoiler
mysogynist you! :P
[close]

I'm there on yokbox tonight!

ThreeOhFour

It is true, the past has left me bitter and hurt  ;D

bicilotti

Quote from: FSi on Sat 03/10/2009 11:38:31
When voting, award every game with 1 to 10 score points (1 being lowest possible score).

One thing: the voting system semms a bit, err, unforgiving to me. Maybe it's better just to pick the favourite one?

FSi++

Quote from: bicilotti on Sat 03/10/2009 17:21:13
Quote from: FSi on Sat 03/10/2009 11:38:31
When voting, award every game with 1 to 10 score points (1 being lowest possible score).

One thing: the voting system semms a bit, err, unforgiving to me. Maybe it's better just to pick the favourite one?

That could work. In fact, it did work the previous time, but I was trying to try something new :(

Upd: Just noticed, 40 minutes till the thing starts. Come join us and feel the magnificience of IRC!

Dualnames

Quote from: Ben304 on Sat 03/10/2009 16:11:36

That happens if a woman doesn't let you ...eh.. in.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

bicilotti

Quote from: Dualnames on Sat 03/10/2009 18:44:40

In her shifter's box, he meant. Wait, this isn't the "I love Mark Lovegrove" thread.

Dualnames

Quote from: bicilotti on Sat 03/10/2009 18:46:01
Quote from: Dualnames on Sat 03/10/2009 18:44:40

In her shifter's box, he meant. Wait, this isn't the "I love Mark Lovegrove" thread.

Got carried away, but he wasn't the Awakener when he had some anyway.

EDIT2: Join IRC
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Eggie

Ah, IRC. Damn, I thought it'd be happening on Stickam.
Oh well, too late to start downloading and setting things up now.

I'll be there next time, duuuuuudes.

bicilotti

Quote from: Eggie on Sat 03/10/2009 19:04:31
Ah, IRC. Damn, I thought it'd be happening on Stickam.
Oh well, too late to start downloading and setting things up now.

I'll be there next time, duuuuuudes.

theme has not been chosen yet

Watch this boards and participate.

Akatosh

Okay. I was asked to jump in as host, and so I did. Since exams are draining my creativity, the theme is just

Studying. Or school in general. Or anything that can be twisted to suit that.

60 minutes from now on. (Plus 15 for testing, uploading and that shiz.) Have at thee!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk