The Face of Corruption Chapter One

Started by xenogia, Sun 24/01/2010 23:21:00

Previous topic - Next topic

xenogia

The Face of Corruption
Chapter One: A Sleepless Night

Story:

Guy Marlowe; a homicide detective for the Melbourne police force has watched his life decay to nothing.  His wife left him due to his long hours and his obsession with work which has left him guilt-ridden.  One late evening he is assaulted by a mysterious assailant and barely survives the attack.  Who would have done this and why?  Was it random? Is it linked to one of the many homicides he's recently worked on?  Or is it something more shocking?  Find out in the first chapter.

Screenshots:

Team:

On a side note the reason why I never finished my previous projects was because it was purely a solo job.  Now I have a small ensemble.

Dean Thomson - Scripting, Video Production, Story
Tom Lake - Dialog, Story
Megan Dale - Vocal Direction

Features:

• 640x400 32-bit photorealistic graphics
  • Real actors filmed on my home-made green screen
  • An original jazz soundtrack
  • Multiple paths and solutions which can affect the story
  • Full Voice Acting
  • Episodic Content

Inspiration

I wanted to develop a game that was inspired two classic to me.  Both being Martian Memorandum and Amazon: Guardians of Eden.  So I have taken aspects of the serial formula with a noir setting and this is what I have come up with.  Let's hope I don't lose sight of making this game.

Progress

Graphics: 40%
Puzzles: 40%
Scripting: 30%
Music/Sound: 100%

[video link]

Here is the new video with speech:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zKKJtlpzU4

* The old video *
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP81GsciESk

Goldfish

Looks cool so far! Best of luck with it amigo.

abstauber

Seems like Devin's a big Ikea lover ;D

Good luck with this!

Timo.

Looks good, and the photorealistic effect sounds quite something to look forward to.
Just trying to picture how the main character looks like moving about. (Then we'll really see how photorealistic it is, huh  :P)
Smile :]

Igor Hardy

I'm afraid that this title will get confused with the upcoming game from Frictional Games. It's also called Amnesia.

xenogia

Ahh thanks for that Ascovel, I didn't realise.. So you want to know how well he animates do you? :)

For most part all character animations are 20 fps.. some fullscreen stuff that is in-game engine is 15fps.  The game is going to be fairly large (megabytes wise).

Here is the speed of the character, though the gif is making him walk slower than normal.  For the gif I haven't bothered making it a seemless loop, I am just showing the idea of it.

Igor Hardy

The animation is splendid. The MB count will be high indeed.

CTxCB

I've got a question, why dont you make amnesia like phantasmagoria, where you walk from place to place and pick up things, not that many ganes do that... what do you think?

xenogia

I was contemplating that, I might look into it actually and see how it goes.  Size wise it might be very difficult.

CTxCB

Quote from: Xenogia on Tue 09/02/2010 00:08:13
I was contemplating that, I might look into it actually and see how it goes.  Size wise it might be very difficult.
yeah, but that might be a good thing, I got an Idea that just popped into my head, what if you made the game with video files (for movement, talking scenes, logo, ect.) and made the installer and put it on a cd so that it installs the game but keeps video files on a disc then it would load the files from the disc and not fill a hard drive up...

Also, why don't you make chapter one have  7 chapters like phantasmagoria or Tex Murphy and rename it Episode 1: No way out instead of: Chapter one: No way out, also i recommend one more thing: Having all the controls on the front to make the game more immersive, look at phantasmagoria gui, that means that you wont have to pause the game to use things...

does that help you in your game?
thanks for your time,
Techodog

markbilly

That animation has so many frames that my eye is tricking me into seeing the background colour by his feet slide along towards me. As if he were on a treadmill ;D

Good luck with this!

xenogia

That is because he is on a treadmill markbilly.. lol

@techdog

The game will not be available on dvd or cd as it is a purely downloadable game.  The problem with your idea is that it really makes the game not very interactive at all and it becomes more like a movie.  The game itself is staying to a similar adventure style of your classics but using digitized characters.  A good example of this is Noctropolis, Amazon: Guardians of Eden and Sherlock Holmes The Rose Tattoo.  But thanks for the input anyway.

xenogia

Update:

Here are some more screenshots, sorry for the 1280x720 display.

Dualnames

Very phantasmagoria like..will there be sex?  :D

Looking better and better!!
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

xenogia

Quote from: Dualnames on Fri 12/02/2010 23:42:21
Very phantasmagoria like..will there be sex?  :D

Looking better and better!!

Haha, it would require my girlfriends drama friends simulating sex.. that would be pretty hilarious.  As the game goes its pretty dark all round and disturbing theme wise.

xenogia

Just so you know here are some updated screenshots of the game.

RedTalon

*Very* impressive looking. Glad to see you are making good progress.
www.redtalongames.com
Twitter:
www.twitter.com/redtalongames

Stupot

Looking pretty darn sweet.
Can't wait to see some in-game footage ;)

Ali

Those new screenshots look very promising! They really benefit from the wider aspect ratio. The only thing missing is a nice anti-aliased speech font like American Typewriter.

Good luck!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk