[MAGS] The Lurking Horror ( now with a review from Reloaded.org!)

Started by Diath, Mon 02/05/2011 11:23:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Diath

After taking a break on AGS, I decided to finally push myself and make a game once again. This time via the MAGS competition!

I present to you:

THE LURKING HORROR
This games influence and inspiration originated from the old 1979 movie, 'Phantasm'

You are Mike, your brother has just run off to follow up on a lead about his missing friend at the local cemetery. If the rumors prove true about the place, your brother is in mortal danger and so are you!

http://www.mediafire.com/?5cemzr8a5zuwm4w a 4.19MB download size

The game has multiple endings and should provide some replay value with multiple dialogue and solutions.

WARNING: GAME CONTAINS STRONG LANGUAGE AND GORE........download at your own risk  :=

Pro Tip: You can LEFT click AND RIGHT click on inventory items.

Enjoy!

TheRoger

Can you die in game? Because I don't like when i die...

Diath

Quote from: TheRoger on Mon 02/05/2011 11:44:40
Can you die in game? Because I don't like when i die...

Yes there is one instances when you can.

arj0n

Gratz on releasing this maggie Diath :)

Khris

Really nice, loved the animations.
The one at the end is marvelous.

And it always cool to see a technical thread come to life as part of an actual game :)

abstauber

When I first spotted this, I thought: Finally, somebody redid the Infocom version :P
But your game was fun too :)

Edit: Forgot to mention that I liked the animation work as well. And finally, a convincing reason to be trapped in a room. Well done!

TheRoger

Finished this like in 5 mins and didn't died ;D Though I was saving like crazy.

Spoiler
Well, I used gun just when I saw something moving. Also faceless man...well played I guess, though after Chzo mythos it is becoming a bit stale.
[close]

Nice job in overall, but it was way too short...

arj0n

So, anyone has found all the 3 endings yet?

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Okay, so I'm curious why you didn't just call this Phantasm since 95% of the story and plot come from that movie, including most of the character names.  When you've got Mike, Reggie, the tall man, the midgets, why did you change Jody's name to Ben?  In fact, I was half-expecting you to use Mike's locked door solution from the movie (taping a shotgun shell to a hammer and banging it against the door).  Overall it's an interesting game, but not calling it Phantasm or stating where you heavily borrowed from for it is a bit dishonest.

Diath

Thanks for all the comments.

QuoteWhen I first spotted this, I thought: Finally, somebody redid the Infocom version

I just looked up that game on Wikipedia seems fairly interesting! I need to start actually looking up titles to see if they are taken since Dead Silence was obviously a movie name a couple of years ago as well.

QuoteNice job in overall, but it was way too short...  

Yeah it is pretty short which is why I decided to put the possibility of dying at least once in there.

QuoteOverall it's an interesting game, but not calling it Phantasm or stating where you heavily borrowed from for it is a bit dishonest.
Yeah sorry...this wasn't really anything I was trying to hide. I put this game as a fan game in the AGS database and I figured if people have seen the movie then they would know. But regardless, ill  re-edit the entry and tell where the game was influenced from.

Bulbapuck

Could someone upload a mirror for this? Mediafire doesn't work for me today..

EDIT: Now it works again, weird :P

EDIT2: Apparantly it still doesn´t work.. It downloaded an empty file.. yay..

arj0n

Bulbapuck

Thanks Arj0n :D

EDIT:
Played through it. Nice little game :) Very eerie atmosphere.

I've only found two endings though, and that's if I count
Spoiler
the death. Does that count?
[close]

Hudders

The animation at the end makes the game, in my opinion.  ;D

Diath

Quote from: Bulbapuck on Mon 02/05/2011 20:46:15

I've only found two endings though, and that's if I count
Spoiler
the death. Does that count?
[close]

Yes that does count as one of the endings. The third is more of an Easter egg if anything else.

LRH

Now I'm curious as to how to get the third...

Secret Fawful

I really liked this one for a short game. I could see how Phantasm could make a great full-length adventure game now. Now I got to find the other endings.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

QuoteBut regardless, ill  re-edit the entry and tell where the game was influenced from.

Fair enough.  I wasn't knocking you or anything, but as a fan of the film and as someone who has met Reggie Bannister I thought it only fair that people know about the source material.  Afterall, if they like your game they should see the movie that inspired it!   :)

Wyz

Nice game!
The final scene was genuinely frightening. :D

Hmmm, a third ending?
Is it
Spoiler
the fact you can use the shovel on the rock to retrieve the key of the mortuary?
[close]
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

arj0n

Quote from: Wyz on Tue 03/05/2011 12:18:23
Nice game!
The final scene was genuinely frightening. :D

Hmmm, a third ending?
Is it
Spoiler
the fact you can use the shovel on the rock to retrieve the key of the mortuary?
[close]
Nope.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk