AGS 3.2 Final 5 - Recession-busting edition

Started by Pumaman, Sun 03/05/2009 15:34:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

I found a 'bug' in AGS 3.1.2

When I tried to make a voice acting script I got a blank txt file, well, not totally blank, it had one line, this one:

"*** All text lines, in order of appearance in the scripts ***"

And my game has many dialogs and text...
Copinstar © Oficial Site

Dualnames

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

To be more precise, there's a menu option in ags to auto-number speech lines for you, Joe.  I will warn you to wait as long as possible before doing it because it does not work well with numbering lines then adding/subtracting lines and re-numbering.  Try to get the game as finished as possible first.  If the auto-numbering system always continued from the last speech number it wouldn't be an issue, but since it starts from the beginning each time you can have some issues.

Joe

Ok thanks very much Dualnames and ProgZmax
Copinstar © Oficial Site

TerranRich

Joe Carl: Also, don't be afraid if you happen to use custom "Say" functions; auto-numbering works properly on those, too.

Pumaman

QuoteIf you try and assign too long a string to a button's text property AGS will crash with "SetButtonText: Text too long, button has 50 chars max" error. However it looks like the actual limit is 49 characters.

Hehe well spotted, I might fix this one :D

QuoteYou'll get something about me trying to use a renamed file in place of a valid icon.

I know you've said before it has to be an actual icon but I was being lazy. Anyway, if you create a template with an invalid ICO file the editor crashes (at least when you try to load it directly, i.e. for testing the template).

Interesting point, I suppose that is something that people might do so it probably should handle it better.

QuoteMy game is on 640x480 resolution, and if I want to change the background, I can't do it properly without the following steps and all the hotspots/walkable areas/regions get delete anyway.

What do you mean exactly? Is your game set to 640x480 in General Settings but you can't import a 640x480 background?

Knox

QuoteChanges in 3.2 beta 4:

* Added option to automatically add side borders when running 4:3 games on widescreen monitors

Great news...might not seem like a big thing to some, but to me this is good good news! :)
--All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

Matti

Quote from: general_knox on Tue 01/09/2009 01:41:18
QuoteChanges in 3.2 beta 4:

* Added option to automatically add side borders when running 4:3 games on widescreen monitors

Great news...might not seem like a big thing to some, but to me this is good good news! :)

These are definitely great news. I hate how everything's stretched on the laptop.

Knox

QuoteThese are definitely great news. I hate how everything's stretched on the laptop.

Yeah, totally agree...Man I love AGS...Tried Wintermute and Visionnaire...this is the best! Plus, people are really nice here :)
--All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

Dualnames

Quote from: Pumaman on Mon 31/08/2009 19:30:42

What do you mean exactly? Is your game set to 640x480 in General Settings but you can't import a 640x480 background?

Exactly..
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I've found a rather odd bug in 3.1.2 that appears to exist in the latest beta as well.  If you set the baseline of a character all seems to work fine in DDraw, but in D3D mode it appears to ignore custom character baselines altogether.  I tested this rather quickly by placing a character above the player and setting the character's baseline to 2.  In DDraw mode he appeared correctly behind the player, in D3D he appears in front every time.

abstauber

QuoteHas anyone else had any crashes like this with the beta?

I do: AGS 3.2 beta 4. No probs in 3.1 SP2 so far.

Code: ags

Error: Es wurde versucht,I'm geschützten Speicher zu lesen oder zu schreiben. 
Dies ist häufig ein Hinweis darauf, dass anderer Speicher beschädigt ist.
Version: AGS 3.2.0.93

System.AccessViolationException: Es wurde versucht,I'm geschützten Speicher zu lesen oder zu schreiben.
Dies ist häufig ein Hinweis darauf, dass anderer Speicher beschädigt ist. ---> System.AccessViolationException: 
Es wurde versucht,I'm geschützten Speicher zu lesen oder zu schreiben. 
   bei ccCompileText(SByte* , SByte* )
   bei AGS.Native.NativeMethods.CompileScript(Script script, String[] preProcessedScripts, Game game, Boolean isRoomScript)
   bei AGS.Editor.NativeProxy.CompileScript(Script script, String[] preProcessedData, Game game, Boolean isRoomScript)
   bei AGS.Editor.AGSEditor.CompileScript(Script script, List`1 headers, CompileMessages errors, Boolean isRoomScript)
   bei AGS.Editor.AGSEditor.CompileScripts(Object parameter)
   bei AGS.Editor.BusyDialog.RunHandlerOnThread()
   --- Ende der internen Ausnahmestapelüberwachung ---
   bei AGS.Editor.BusyDialog.Show(String message, ProcessingHandler handler, Object parameter)
   bei AGS.Editor.AGSEditor.CompileGame(Boolean forceRebuild, Boolean createMiniExeForDebug)
   bei AGS.Editor.Components.BuildCommandsComponent.CompileGame(Boolean forceRebuild)
   bei AGS.Editor.Components.BuildCommandsComponent.CommandClick(String controlID)
   bei AGS.Editor.ToolBarManager.ToolbarEventHandler(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripButton.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

edit:
I also get this error in the Output Window of the editor:

Unexpected error: Der Prozess kann nicht auf die Datei "D:\Eigene Dateien\AGS\shatten\game28.dta" zugreifen, 
da sie von einem anderen Prozess verwendet wird.

Roughly translated: The process can't access the file, because it's in use by another process.

When I try to quit after that error, I get:

Error: Es wurde versucht, im geschützten Speicher zu lesen oder zu schreiben. 
Version: AGS 3.2.0.93

System.AccessViolationException: Es wurde versucht, im geschützten Speicher zu lesen oder zu schreiben. 
   bei ccFreeScript(ccScript* )
   bei AGS.Native.CompiledScript.!CompiledScript()
   bei AGS.Native.CompiledScript.Dispose(Boolean )
   bei AGS.Native.CompiledScript.Finalize()

AGD2

Speaking of baselines, I recently noticed that the following code doesn't seem to work:

cCharA.Baseline=cCharB.Baseline+1;

Additionally, if you call the -registergame parameter on your game's .exe file in order to make double-click loading of save-games possible, there seems to be a crash when restarting the game.

For example, load the game's .exe, save a game, and then quit. Go to the game directory and double-click on the recent save-game file to quickload it (this seems to bypass the creation of the restart point save-game file--especially if you placed SetRestartPoint in the game_start function or in your title screen).  

Click your game's "restart" button, or trigger any other place where RestartGame(); is called, and the game will crash out with:

QuoteError: unable to restart game (error:File not found)

These likely aren't exclusive to 3.2 and probably existed in previous versions of AGS too.

GarageGothic

Quote from: AGD2 on Thu 03/09/2009 15:05:03
Speaking of baselines, I recently noticed that the following code doesn't seem to work:

Isn't it because you actually want to set

cCharA.Baseline=cCharB.y+1;

?

Unless you've specifically have set CharB's baseline, his Baseline property will be 0.

AGD2

I was just wondering if the character Baseline property was working as intended. If a character's baseline is 0 (which doesn't actually represent 0 in this case, but the character's current y-pos instead), would it make sense to set the baseline relative to that character's y-pos instead?

But yes, as you mentioned, manually setting a baseline relative to that character's y-pos also has the same result. So, either way, it's no big deal.

--EDIT--

Something else I noticed is that if you put code in the game_start function like:

if(IsSpeechVoxAvailable()==false) QuitGame();
if(IsMusicVoxAvailable()==false) QuitGame();

... and then use the test game feature, the game will quit because it doesn't find the .vox files in the "_Debug" folder. At present you need to copy them across manually for the test game feature to work.

Any chance that the test game feature could automatically check inside the "Compiled" folder for the existence of said files first, rather than the "_Debug" folder?

OneDollar

Spotted another tiny inconsistency, again with AGS 3.1.2 SP1 (I can't see any record of it in the change log for 3.2). The Speech style section of the Game Options manual entry references "QFG4-style speech", but this has been renamed to WholeScreen in the General Settings.

I'm sure you want to know :=.

Pumaman

QuoteIs your game set to 640x480 in General Settings but you can't import a 640x480 background?

Exactly..

Can you upload an example of the problem? I can't reproduce any problems with this.

I've found a rather odd bug in 3.1.2 that appears to exist in the latest beta as well.  If you set the baseline of a character all seems to work fine in DDraw, but in D3D mode it appears to ignore custom character baselines altogether.  I tested this rather quickly by placing a character above the player and setting the character's baseline to 2.  In DDraw mode he appeared correctly behind the player, in D3D he appears in front every time.

I just tried this and the problem only seems to happen if the character has IgnoreWalkbehinds set. I'll look into it.

QuoteI do: AGS 3.2 beta 4
System.AccessViolationException: Es wurde versucht,I'm geschützten Speicher zu lesen oder zu schreiben.
Dies ist häufig ein Hinweis darauf, dass anderer Speicher beschädigt ist

Did you just get this error once, or have you had it multiple times? Had you made any changes to the script just before it happened?

Guys, if you have any crashes PLEASE use the Send Error Report button. I haven't received any error reports from the beta in the last 3 weeks so I was assuming that nobody had had any problems with it.

QuoteSpeaking of baselines, I recently noticed that the following code doesn't seem to work:

As GarageGothic says, this is correct if CharB has no explicit baseline set. Perhaps the Baseline property should return the Y co-ordinate if it is working with automatic baselines, but since the manual states that it will return 0 in this case, I think it should continue to do so.

QuoteAdditionally, if you call the -registergame parameter on your game's .exe file in order to make double-click loading of save-games possible, there seems to be a crash when restarting the game.

Hmm, well spotted. The quick-restore feature does bypass the game startup, so the restart point is never created. I'm not sure how to fix this, I'll have a think.

Quoteif(IsMusicVoxAvailable()==false) QuitGame();

... and then use the test game feature, the game will quit because it doesn't find the .vox files in the "_Debug" folder. At present you need to copy them across manually for the test game feature to work.

Thanks, i'll look into this.

QuoteSpotted another tiny inconsistency, again with AGS 3.1.2 SP1 (I can't see any record of it in the change log for 3.2). The Speech style section of the Game Options manual entry references "QFG4-style speech", but this has been renamed to WholeScreen in the General Settings.

Hehe well spotted, i'll correct that.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

QuoteI just tried this and the problem only seems to happen if the character has IgnoreWalkbehinds set. I'll look into it.

Really?  Well spotted, old bean!  I should have tried turning that off to further narrow down the problem but to be quite honest I didn't even remember I'd set Ignorewalkbehinds on the character (probably because it doesn't show up in the properties list).  Well, I'm glad you found the problem, at least.

abstauber

Did you just get this error once, or have you had it multiple times? Had you made any changes to the script just before it happened?
It happens all the time - it's hardly possible to work with Beta4 at all.
And it's also not easy to tell, when this happens. It definately happens, after I've changed a header and AGS wants to compile all the files again (16 script pairs so far).

It also happens a lot after I change a room script without opening the room - but in the end, opening the room and editing the script later hasn't helped either.

Saving for example works all the time, but after hitting compile often makes the editor crash. When I then restart AGS, compiling works fine again.

Guys, if you have any crashes PLEASE use the Send Error Report button. I haven't received any error reports from the beta in the last 3 weeks so I was assuming that nobody had had any problems with it.

'will do in the future :)
Or better: I start up beta4 and crash it some more times  :D

Dualnames

CJ I've taken the liberty to send you a pm, due to I' rather not have anyone to claim a copy of HHGTG( ;D).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk