AdventureX 2014 - 6th+7th December - London

Started by , Tue 16/09/2014 14:48:24

Previous topic - Next topic

m0ds

Watch live/read schedule: http://www.adventurexpo.co.uk
Print a schedule! http://www.adventurexpo.co.uk/docs/AdventureX_Schedule_2014.pdf

AdventureX 2014
http://www.adventurexpo.co.uk
Sat Dec 6th and Sun Dec 7th

Sponsored by Skygoblin
WADJET EYE GAMES - SCREEN 7

FREE ENTRY

Special thanks to the London South Bank University BA (Hons) Game Cultures course/professors!

Please Tweet about the event! Use hashtag #adventurex

Doors open 10:30am. Show ends 6.30pm daily. Join us for drinks on Saturday night at nearby pub!

Special Guests
Jon Hare
Dr. Ernest Adams
Josué Monchan

More special guests to be announced!

Talks/features/panels/masterclasses
Kevin Mentz
Mark Estdale
Alasdair Beckett-King (Ali)
Pieter Simoons (Radiant)
Dave Gilbert
Jon Ingold
Francisco Gonzalez (Grundislav)
Tom Kitchin
Florian Mehm
Stephen Brown
Stuart Lilford
Mathias Johansson
Joey Jones

Demos/games on show
The Devil's Men
Cargo
The Weavers
Technobabylon
Nelly Cootalot: The Fowl Fleet
A Golden Wake
Downfall (remake)
Absent II
The Legend Of Hand
Jason The Greek
Captain Disaster & Troll Song
The Apotheosis Project
Nefastos Mis-Adventures
The Slaughter
Exgenesis

Exhibitors
SkyGoblin
Fenton Film Games
Grundislav Games
Yeppoh
Science: Gamed
JD Wasabi Studios
Geek Is Chic
DreamFever LTD
Cloak And Dagger Games
Scared Square Games
48h Studio
Screen 7

...many more yet to be announced...

Preliminary floorplan:

AGS attendees (and those interested to attend) include:
AGA, Azure, m0ds, Miez, Dave G, Grundislav, Technocrat, Ali, IntenseDegree, Stee (maybe), Cat, Magintz, CaptainD, shaun9991, Andail (maybe), ddq (maybe), Blount, Yeppoh, MattFrith (Tier),

More info and website to follow.

Although you will be required to use the website to formally submit a request to exhibit, talk etc - if you have ideas or want to note that you're interested to do something, feel free to say it here for now :) It'll be just a few more days til the website is up. regards!

PS. Also, special guest ideas, speaker ideas... now is the time to let it out, before anything gets confirmed/sorted by other means :=

Grundislav

Thanks, Mark. I'll be booking flights within the next few days!

Excited to attend my first AdventureX!

I'd also be interested in doing a talk/panel.

Radiant

Glad to see this is happening again. I'm interested in attending as well, although I can't promise yet that I have the opportunity to travel then. I would be interested in doing a talk and/or panel, just like last year.

AGA

Quote from: Grundislav on Tue 16/09/2014 18:35:38
Thanks, Mark. I'll be booking flights within the next few days!

Excited to attend my first AdventureX!

It'll be good to see you after your missing the last two Mittens like some sort of bastard.  It'll give you an opportunity to bring me the handmade, signed boxed copy of your game you totally promised me you'd bring me.

cat

Is there another girl who attends and would be willing to share a hotel room? Hotel prices in London are just crazy!

Yeppoh

Yes!

The flight has been booked way before the official thread was online. I has become a tradition for me to attend. I hope to exhibit new stuff in my game (and not stammer like I did last time). And I will try to invite a friend to exhibit his game as well. Maybe two friends.

I'm still considering of doing a panel about sprite animations using After Effect, but that'll depend on how my fluency has improved.

Matt Frith

I am in as always (can't believe I'm not included on the regular attendees!! :P). Hopefully I will have something meaningful to show this year...

straydogstrut

Count me in for this one - I still have fond memories of the first and only AdventureX I managed to attend back in 2011 :-D Watching videos of the last two i'm super excited for this one. There's a hashtag and everything :shocked:

It looks like AdventureX is going from strength to strength, well done Mark. Give me a shout if I can do anything to help since i'm London based.

Sslaxx

Would like to try and make it this year... dunno if I can (proximity to Christmas, and of course the ol' bugbear that is money), but I'll try.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

CaptainD

I'm planning to show Troll Song and Captain Disaster in Death Has a Million Stomping Boots - both now planned for release in the Summer of 2015.  Possibly also A Playwright's Tale... depends on how the rest of the team feel.

Looks like there's a Nandos near this venue just like the last one, which is a very important point to note. ;-D

Grundislav

Booked my flight!

I'll be showing A Golden Wake as well as unveiling the next project I'm working on with Ben304. An AdventureX exclusive! AdventureX-clusive? I don't know.

Also racking my brain for a suitable topic to talk about.

FNGames

It was a great event last year and looking forward to coming back! :)
I'll be there on the Saturday with a playable demo of Absent II on show. :)

Speaking of which, think it may be time to update the official thread... :p

Adeel

Will there be a live stream this time too? I can't attend in person because of many reasons, I'd like to attend the event virtually, though.

Grim

I'll be coming too. There's gonna be some people there I want to meet;) Like, all of you, I guess;)

shaun9991

I'll definitely be there. May have something to show... will confirm when my co-game-maker person gets back from his holiday.
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

m0ds

Adeel, good point. Positive there will be a "live stream machine" again yep, but keep in mind all the technical stuff in this facility is unfamiliar to us, so it won't be without its hiccups I'm sure... But I'm pretty confident it will work well enough for special guests and key talk segments this year. I should be able to avoid the problems we had last time too (sound cutting out), but can't say that the image quality will be any improvement over last year :P

cat

Just booked my flight - looking forward to seeing you guys and lots of interesting talks and presentations!

Dave Gilbert

Booking flight/hotel now! As always, I'm down for a talk/panel/whathaveyou.

Adeel

It's okay if the image quality won't be high, Mods. I don't have fast enough internet connection for HD Stream anyway! :tongue:

m0ds

Haha :)

I noticed some comments about accomodation. Mm, them hotels are NOT cheap are they 8-0

For those that maybe can't afford such an expensive option: I suppose people can sort out hostels for themselves, but this time I'll highly consider renting a dorm for the benefit of AGS visitors if there is interest, of say one room of 4 (mixed) or 2 rooms of 4 one for M one for F. PM me if you think that could help you out, up to 3 night stay Fri, Sat and Sun, and walking distance from Elephant & Castle (http://www.safestay.co.uk/en/faq/). It'd be about £75 each (and i'd have to do it so its 75 if you stay 3 nights or just 1 or 2, to recoup the cost). I just need to get an idea of how many rooms (of 4 or 6) could be filled.

Of course it'd be cheaper to do it by yourself and get put in a standard mixed dorm. This way could ensure that we're in rooms with people we know though... :)

Stupot

Gutted I'll be missing it again this year. I'll be watching remotely from Japan-land.  I'd like to try to put together a little video presentation or something about Escape games and/or visual novels, which are both pretty popular in Japan, much more so than straight adventures. I'm not much of an expert on either, but that's what research is for.

theo

Really hoping to attend this year. :D

I'll try to drag my colleagues Henrik and Mathias with me too. They need to be cultured in the awesome ways of true adventure game nerdery. 8-)

m0ds

Great stuff theo, hope to see you and your guys there!

PS. The website is nearly ready. Just had to think about sponsorship and the application form bit before putting it up, but nearly there!

Dave Gilbert

Plane and hotel booked! Getting there on Thursday morning so if anybody is around Thursday or Friday, do let me know. I'm staying at the Bridge Hotel close-ish to the event.

yamipanda

Sound fun, but I'm too poor to go anywhere. :( I hope you can get a live stream so I can attend from home. :)

m0ds

The website is up. Please use the "apply" form if you want to be an exhibitor, talk, demonstrator etc :) (thanks Grundy who already has!)

http://www.adventurexpo.co.uk/

Ali

I'm really looking forward to the "TBA" talk led by TBA with TBA. Sounds like it'll be a classic!

Great work Mark!

CaptainD

I may be showing A Playwright's Tale as well - formerly known as The Journey of Iesir - won't be able to confirm that until nearer the time.  (Yes Mark, I know I need to use the official forms and all that, before you remind me. :cool:)

FNGames

Think I've filled the form in okay. Got an error message the first time but seemed to work the second.

Little thing, the Absent II links to a Kickstarter for "The Slaughter" from last year. :p Could it be linked to here instead? Thanks!  I'll get another image mocked up for you for the site as well.

Thanks!

m0ds

Well spotted, fixed it. Thanks for using the form :) I will reply to emails as soon as possible :) (Theo - thanks, will reply asap)

Glad you like it Ali, you better start researching the subject - that's the one you're leading! ;)

And Dave, d'Aww Iesir changed its name? whhy?

CaptainD

Quote from: Mods on Tue 07/10/2014 17:54:16
And Dave, d'Aww Iesir changed its name? whhy?

I'm not sure I'm at liberty to say ... until AX itself, maybe! :-D  (Should be a new website etc for the game going live soon btw.)

Azure

It is creeping up on us. Reminder to everyone to start checking their travel and accommodation plans!
www.voiceacting.space - Casting Calls for voice actors

Grim

Got my tickets to London already. And managed to only pay £16 for a return trip! ---> if anyone's coming from within UK check out Megabus. Their prices are insanely great!;)

CaptainD

I've booked a hotel but thought the news of me coming from Brum wouldn't excite people as much as DG coming from NY! (laugh)

Miez

Got me a ticket and found a hotel ... looking forward to this! :D

Technocrat

I look forward to showing off Technobabylon! :-D

m0ds

Last chance to let me know if you need a bed for Fri, Sat, Sun night or some/all of those. Likely 2 hostel beds available (standard mixed room tho with shared WC facilities). Cost: 75 gbp (no matter how many nights you stay). AGS/people I know only though sorry.

Also: Space is reserved for us at The Albert Arms, a nice pub/restaraunt 2 min walk from the venue both Friday and Saturday evening from 7pm. Similar size to the place we were in last year on Sat night, can't remember the name - The Berian or something. The Albert Arms serve food (so you can get a meal) and we're likely going to have a buffet there on Saturday evening. If anyone thinks they will specifically want to eat directly after the event on Saturday night, let me know, and I'll try and pass the menu on to you, because ordering earlier means it will be ready to eat earlier :)

ps. Nice one Misja! Glad you can make it :) And thank you for the donation (and you too James!)

Systems check, 6 Nov :P (ArcaderX)

One thing I want to note: The live stream is going to be a bit iffy this year. This venue is not live stream friendly, moreso - moving the camera around is going to be difficult and awkward. Leaving it in one place would be best, but then it's a matter of deciding where to leave it, special guests, talks or demo room. Anyway still looking into it trying to find a way to be able to scoot it about like last year.

PS. The website got updated (as did the first page of this thread, which is even more up to date) but will get another minor update to the website over the weekend, I realize there are a few silly spelling errors in the last update like "Clock And Dagger" games. Sorry Shaun!

AprilSkies

ArcaderX rocks tho!

I hope I can come this year. Still not sure. Let's see.

www.apemarina.altervista.org

MurrayL

I might try to make an appearance - I've got some ideas swimming around in my head, and it'd be good to talk to some people!

I'll aim for the Saturday, too - I missed out on the awesome after-party at AdventureX 2012.

m0ds

I don't remember much about that one myself ;) But yes, come along and join us!

ddq

I've booked my flight, so count me in for my second AdventureX in a row.

m0ds

Nice of you to make the trip! Just a couple of weeks to go. Where has the time gone :)

Grim

Quote from: Mods on Fri 21/11/2014 15:24:47
Nice of you to make the trip! Just a couple of weeks to go. Where has the time gone :)

Better hit the gym and get ready for it!;)

AprilSkies

I finally found the time. Hotel and flight booked!
Unfortunately I can be there only sunday (My city has a crappy airport and planes to London take off only saturday and land saturday night).

m0ds

Nice one! I'm sure you'll find the Sunday insightful. You are also 100% of the Italian turn out that I know of so far... Great! Cos it's not an adventure game event without someone Italian!  8-)

neon

Flight and hotel booked for me and my camera girl (this year Adventure-Treff doubles the number of editors on AdventureX). We will be there with a lot of camera equipment, try to record all game presentations and special guest appearances and of course... do a lot of interviews. Looking forward.

[delete}

Looking forward to see some footage. Please consider a  film summarizing the highlights. You have talent as an independent filmmaker, I just loved the funny UFO Watch UK series.

m0ds

Haha thanks Amelie. Adventure-Treff are recording the event this year so there will be lots of video content after (3 cameras I believe should capture everything in zone b, c and d. I might make a short video, but you're absolutely right, I just don't have the time for such tasks on the weekend. So I encourage other people to make videos :)

PS. A new special guest! Josué Monchan will be telling us about the rise and fall of Pendulo Studios

Azure

If you want a digital copy of the schedule on your phone's calendar ( Save paper!!) then I made one in google for that very purpose:

You can simply scan the code above on your phone or download it directly from:
https://www.google.com/calendar/ical/3nk51nf94regibbqeefjpk2qd4%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics

You'll download an ics calendar file which most decent phones and tablets should read. It will then copy the events to your calender. I don't think it updates so keep an eye out for updates at the event. If I have time and things do change I'll try to keep it up to date, but this should be good reference.

There's also an HTML link
https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=3nk51nf94regibbqeefjpk2qd4%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Europe/London which will take you to the Google Calendar page.

cat

I will probably not travel with a web-enabled device. It think two years ago there was such a handy pdf containing all travel information and the schedule. Will there be such a thing this year?

m0ds

Cat, probably that you signed up as something in previous years (when you did your talk). As you didn't this year, that info doesn't get sent out to you, sorry. The schedule gets a fair amount of alterations leading up to the event, putting up a download even now would possibly be inaccurate on the day. The website schedule is accurate and Becky's google calendar uses info from the sites schedule. Presumably the google one has a "print" option? (that said, I can't find it if it does, nor make heads or tales of google calendars in general).

cat

No problem, I'll just print the info on the website. Looking forward to seeing you all!

cat

neon

Packed my stuff, ready to go. I will be there again for Adventure-Treff this time with a camera assistant. We have 3 cameras in place. One for the talks/panel discussions, one for  the game presentations and one for special guest talks and interviews. We're expecting to tape everything this year.

btw. somebody switched off a camera last year to save SD card space or power. Please don't do, we have enough to let the cameras run through.

Developers, if you want to show your games to us, one of us is always around with an adventure-treff shirt. Just bump into us, we will look into it.

For those who have been there the last two years, I'm really looking forward to see you again. :-)

Chicky

Super excited to return to AdventureX, i'll be there on the Sunday. Looking forward to meeting some new faces!

Grundislav

Getting ready to head to the airport with ddq! This is going to be  lot of fun, I can't wait!

Matt Goble

Can't quite believe I'm going to say this, but I think I might actually make an AGS event this weekend!

Any of the old guard around tomorrow evening?

Grundislav

Dave G is already there, and I'll arrive in the morning. I know others will be around too.

neon

Are there already an plans for the evening? We would join.

Matt Goble

Quote from: Grundislav on Thu 04/12/2014 22:59:22
Dave G is already there, and I'll arrive in the morning. I know others will be around too.

Cool, I'll drop him message on the book of faces.  Looking forward to seeing you again and hearing about "A Golden Wake".

m0ds

Great! Safe journeys

No idea what you can do in the days but in the evenings there is a dedicated space for us all:

Fri night: The Albert Arms, suggest arriving 7 onwards. Buffet from 8. AdvX crew will be there from 7.30-8 ish.
Sat night: Same as above.
Sun night: Again The Albert Arms happy to accomodate but no buffet (but may still order one on Sat night depending on what the consensus is amongst those staying sunday eve, or perhaps we'll go somewhere else)

see you soon!

If you are demonstrating/speaking/anything with a big screen - TRY AND BRING THE RIGHT CABLES FOR YOURSELF. Whether that is HDMI only, or VGA + audio jack, it is strongly recommended!!! We do have spares, but like video cameras that apparently stop recording, cables also go walkies sometimes. And if you don't have an HDMI connection (like me) then you need to think about how your audio will reach the sound desk (typically a 3.5mm - 3.5mm jack or a 3.5mm - 2 RCA phono plugs jack. We do NOT however have spare HDMI cables!!!

PS. Minor update to the schedule PDF (link in first post) now has talk titles in it (well, kind of ;) )

cat

As always, there is stuff I want to hear happening at the same time. Will be hard to decide!

theo

Me and my fellow skygoblins are packin' our bags right now. We'll try to drop by the Albert arms this evening then. :D May get there a little later though, depending on how long our various transports take.

Gonna be great meeting some of you folks for the first time and remeeting the rest! :)

MurrayL

It's Ludum Dare this weekend, so I'll probably spend some time working on a new game while I'm there on Saturday.

Anyone who wants to help out is welcome!

IndieBoy

I don't think I've mentioned on the forums that I'm heading along too. So say hi guys and go easy on me, it is my first AGS meetup. :grin:
Quote from: Calin Elephantsittingonface on Tue 08/02/2011 09:00:55
The only person in favour of the mobs seems to be IndieBoy.. but he's scottish so we dont listen to him anyway.

Grim

Leaving for London in 2 hours. Probably gonna be there in The Albert Arms place tonight for a drink or two;) See you all later!;)

Grundislav

Five of us are currently early birds sitting at the Albert Arms. If anyone is around and wishes to join us early, come on down!

Matt Goble

Quote from: Grundislav on Fri 05/12/2014 16:49:48
Five of us are currently early birds sitting at the Albert Arms. If anyone is around and wishes to join us early, come on down!

Finishing work shortly, then I'll be heading down.

FNGames

I'll be there first thing tomorrow with Absent II!
Looking forward to coming back for another year and meeting you guys! :)

Miez

Flying in tomorrow morning, will be there around 13:00ish. Looking forward to this!

Technocrat

It was fun tonight! We shall have to do our again - let's say tomorrow. And the day after.

FlyingMandarine

I just moved to London (40 minutes away from AdventureX) a couple of weeks ago. Really looking forward to presenting A Poison Green and talking to people I've happened on virtually for the past few years.

See you there! :)

AprilSkies

Quote from: Technocrat on Fri 05/12/2014 23:32:51
It was fun tonight! We shall have to do our again - let's say tomorrow. And the day after.

Hey guys save a bit of fun for Sunday, when I'll also be there ;-D

straydogstrut

Enjoy everyone, i'll be making my way down on sunday :)

Andail

I'm super sad I couldn't attend this year, sounds like you're gonna have a blast! Say hello to everyone from me!

shaun9991

We showed our new game at AdventureX today, had a great time! Awesome to meet some people from the AGS community like Captain D, Cat and Technocrat!

We'll be there again tomorrow, if you are around London do swing by. Theres some amazing games on show
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

Radiant

See you guys next year, probably with a fancy game to demo :)

CaptainD

Had an awesome time at AX today, thanks so much Mark, Rebecca and whoever else helped to organise it!  Looking forward to tomorrow.

theSynapse

Sorry I couldn't be there for Sunday :-(

But I had a great time on Saturday this year. I feel so bad that this is the first time I've missed a day of AdventureX!

Anyway, it's always a really inspiring time for me, and everytime I come I think, "Damn, should be working on an adventure game...". Maybe next year I REALLY should have something to show!

Hope Sunday went well and that you all have decent travels home.

Tom

P.S. Mods, you said come back to the forums....well....here I am!

Grundislav

Had a fantastic first time at AdventureX! Great seeing old friends, meeting new people, and seeing all the great games on display and being demonstrated. It was also a real honor to be able to participate and give a talk as well as be on a couple of panels.

Bring on AdventureX 2015!

Stupot

Calypso

Yay for another successful AdventureX! Looking forward to any materials from the event.
Chaos is just patterns we haven't recognized.

Azure

Quote from: Stupot+ on Mon 08/12/2014 05:50:17
Are there any videos yet? :kiss:
I don't think so but Adventure Treff filmed a load and were taking lots of pictures. I didn't take as many this year as my phone was acting up, but I got to play with my tablet and take some nice dioramas (laugh) I will try to get those up asap

IndieBoy

I had a great time at the event this year. I'm so happy that I managed to attend and meet all of you for the first time. I wasn't expecting to learn so much, see such exciting games and have so much fun. The guys recording the event have a big job ahead of them cutting the hours of footage but when it is available online I would highly recommend to everyone to watch it all. Especially the panels and the presentations from Josué Monchan and Dr Adams. I highly recommend them.

I'll make sure Im there next year, and who knows I might have something to show.

Rob
Quote from: Calin Elephantsittingonface on Tue 08/02/2011 09:00:55
The only person in favour of the mobs seems to be IndieBoy.. but he's scottish so we dont listen to him anyway.

AprilSkies

I had such a great time sunday. Talks and games were so interesting, and what made me happy the most was that I met so nice people, captainD, cat, shaun, grundislav, matt, dave gilbert, technocrat, yeppoh... I didn't expect you to be so nice, guys and gals.
And a big thank to Mark and Rebecca for organizing it and for being so nice as well.

Intense Degree

Had a great time over the weekend, some really interesting stuff and cool people. Well done to Mark and all the team who organised it. Nice to meet those of you I managed to speak to over the weekend too!

CaptainD

Quote from: AprilSkies on Mon 08/12/2014 14:17:18
I had such a great time sunday. Talks and games were so interesting, and what made me happy the most was that I met so nice people, captainD, cat, shaun, grundislav, matt, dave gilbert, technocrat, yeppoh... I didn't expect you to be so nice, guys and gals.

We're not!  We just put it on for your sake. :P

Just to echo - was really great to meet AprilSkies, Shaun, and many others.  It was a really great event, thanks again Mark . Rebecca / whoever else helped behind the scenes!  Even my useless laptop didn't quite manage to ruin the experience. :grin:

AGA

You people should all get giant hats with your usernames on or something.  How else am I supposed to know who's an AGS person and who's an evil other engine person??

Technocrat

Quote from: AGA on Mon 08/12/2014 14:54:58
You people should all get giant hats with your usernames on or something.  How else am I supposed to know who's an AGS person and who's an evil other engine person??

Hey, I had a t-shirt with "Technocrat" on it!

shaun9991

It was so great to meet some of you legends! Such an amazing event, what a great community. Already looking forward to next year!

m0ds

You're welcome. Lots of fun! Way more fun than the broken internet and boiler back at home here. So I will write more soon when I get some of my vids up in a day or 2. Thanks for coming along everyone :) And those who tried to turn up virtually - sorry about the live stream. I'm still trying to work out what went wrong there. It was as if the permissions needed to broadcast weren't allowed within our dedicated wifi setup for the event. But others managed to upload photos and stuff so I'm a bit confused. Anyway A-T got all Saturdays game demos and I got a bunch of talks, panels & special guest vids. Should not take long to get them on YT but right now I'm freezing and can't find the camera charger :P Real nice games this year and I hope the Betram Fiddle release goes well in a few days :) I can't remember where I put my deformed Nelly dubloon but I love it, thanks Ali! Everyone did really well. We had about 75-80 people on Saturday and about 50 on Sunday. And everyone helped raise 132 (but we'll make it 150) for charity which I will sort out by the end of the week. It'll be interesting to see a repeat at LSBU next year, so am thankful to Becky & Siobhan for their help and Berian for standing by (literally). Looking forward to Steve's write up which will presumably be biased as he won loads of prizes ;) More to say but not right now. Well done everyone!!

Hopalong

Just to say, I had a great time and I hope my talk provided a modicum of enlightenment. I'm definitely fired up about playing some more adventure games.  And maybe making one? If one of the chaps I was talking to about the Cold Call of Cthulhu game is reading this, drop me an email: we can definitely make this happen.

- Joey Jones

Azure

Thanks Mark too for all your hard work!
Thanks for coming Joey, I really wanted at least a few interactive fiction talks. I'm sorry I had to dive out of your talk, I hope someone filmed it so I can watch.

Chicky

Thanks to everyone who took part for an awesome Sunday! There weren't enough hours in the day for me to meet everyone but I had a lot of fun chatting to those I managed to meet :) Also sorry to Dave for going a bit fanboy on him 8-)

Miez

I had a great time at my first AdventureX! Met some dear old friends, and some cool new people. Watched a whole bunch of awe-inspring games and got soundly beaten in the quiz. Feeling very inspired and ready to make some games :D

Note to self: best not to check your homeward flight details after having visited the pub. I went to Stansted airport, but my plane was leaving from Gatwick. Felt like a bit of a dumbass, thank the gods for a taxi service from Stansted to Gatwick!

CaptainD

Quote from: Miez on Mon 08/12/2014 19:08:17
Note to self: best not to check your homeward flight details after having visited the pub. I went to Stansted airport, but my plane was leaving from Gatwick. Felt like a bit of a dumbass, thank the gods for a taxi service from Stansted to Gatwick!

Wouldn't worry about that too much!  I thought I'd booked the same Premier Inn as I always do when I visit my folk down near London, managed to book a different one (only found out when I tried to check in at the normal one...) - fortunately it's almost next to where I grew up so I knew the area, and it was if anything better positioned for getting the train into London for AX! :-D

Did you see any of the games I presented btw?  I only ask because I kind of remember a guy who looked like your avatar...

selmiak

Quote from: CaptainD on Mon 08/12/2014 19:23:47
Did you see any of the games I presented btw?  I only ask because I kind of remember a guy who looked like your avatar...
:-D
Sounds like you all had lots of fun. Sadly I couldn't make, maybe next year. So instead I'll watch all the recordings I can get my hands on! Is there a picture gallery somewhere already maybe?

Miez

I watched your presentation of Captain Disaster :D

CaptainD

Quote from: Miez on Mon 08/12/2014 19:41:36

I watched your presentation of Captain Disaster :D

Ah man, I wish you'd come and introduced yourself instead of being a face in the crowd that I vaguely remember :P

I think CD and The Weavers were the only demos that didn't get recorded?  I can't remember exactly when treff set up their camera in Room D on Sunday - it was there by the time I presented Troll Song (which hardly anyone came to as they were having too much fun in the quiz!)

Grim

Matt Goble

Oh WoW! :shocked:

You definitely said Gatwick on Sunday night.

cat

I'm glad I even made it home today (long rambling travel story hidden)
Spoiler

When I left the pub and got my luggage from the hotel I was a bit late so I thought I'd better be safe than sorry and take the Heathrow Express. Or that is what I WANTED to do. Because when I came to Paddington they said that HE is out of service and the next train will only leave in like 40 minutes. So back to the subway. Stupid me, I didn't have the boarding pass printed (yes, Miez, you were right, I should have done that at the hotel) and they almost didn't want to let me board. Finally, I think they felt pity for me and let me enter, the gate was already closing...
However, I'm glad I didn't take the Easyjet flight I was considering, because that was delayed several hours!
[close]

Anyway, I'm home and I have to say, it was a fantastic weekend. It was great to meet so many new people, see people again after a long time and see such great games and talks. However, now reading the forums I'm kinda sad there where so many more AGS people at the event that I didn't meet. Next time we should do name stickers instead of Mr. and Mrs. X
Thanks a lot to Mark, Rebecca, Berian and whoever helped organising this event. Beeing there the two days was worth all the travel issues.

Miez

Wow Cat, that sounds like a bit of a struggle! :D

Adeel

Quote from: Mods on Mon 08/12/2014 17:27:01
And those who tried to turn up virtually - sorry about the live stream. I'm still trying to work out what went wrong there. It was as if the permissions needed to broadcast weren't allowed within our dedicated wifi setup for the event.

It's okay, Mods. I don't know about others but I forgive you. As luck would have it, I was quite busy the whole weekend myself and couldn't have virtually attended, even if live stream was working.

neon

Thanks to all, I'm also back home.

Unfortunately we lost all the pictures we've taken on Friday. Video material is complete, but we have only the pictures from Sunday. I can't express how sorry I am about that, because there were a lot of nice ones.

Yeppoh

I had a really great time this year again. Great people to talk to, great games (for the ones I had the time to play). I can't wait for next year to come back again!

neon

Good news. After testing lots of programs that promised to recover EVERYTHING, I found Recuva, what is a pretty cool tool that managed to bring back 44 pictures from Saturday.

Here's the link to our Facebook picture galery, even if I was already told that people need to be logged in to Facebook to see it, so we currently try to figure out how to open it for public:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152637260493208.1073741834.169227068207ype=1

AGA

In the settings page of the Facebook page, try unchecking "Targeting and Privacy for Posts -> Allow targeting and privacy options when I create posts on my Page".  The AGS page at least is visible to all, even without a Facebook login...

m0ds

Woot, some videos over the course of the evening. Sorry no high def, not at the upload speeds Post Office broadband provide! :~(

Keep an eye on the AdventureX youtube page: http://www.youtube.com/adventurexpo

Starting with the Sunday talks, first up:

Francisco Gonzalez - Do's & Dont's of Writing in Adventure Games
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptpjDFR94zo&feature=youtu.be

Next Florian Mehm & Stephen Brown

theo

Wow. We skygoblins had a great time. I don't think I've quite figured out who's who yet but you certainly are a lovely lot all of you, who I had the pleasure of bumping into!

I had loads of really awesome out-there adventure game design discussions at the pub too. There's nothing like pubbing with passionate designers. 8-) Crazy inspiring.

I really hope we'll get the chance to join in again next year. Huge thanks to Rebecca and Mark. You guys rule.

Cat - we wound up nearly screwed by the express trains as well. Must have been some hugeass delay somewhere central that day. Glad you made it! We did too, fortunately. We checked in at the airport pretty much the very last minute. An oddly hectic end to an otherwise wonderfully laid back weekend. :) Anyhow great meeting you, hope to see you next year too. :)

Btw awesome to see some vids up, gonna go have a look now. I missed Fransisco's talk, so excellent that it went online!

neon

Btw., we also had some trouble with transports because, naive as Nadine and me are, we thought we can just walk the way the bus goes and find the tube station (it turned out surprisingly different)... what took us an hour once and another hour the next day... and while she had to fly back to Munich and I had to fly back to Frankfurt, both from different terminals, we also had great fun in catching trains (at least me, who as a Gentlemen thought it's better to bring the Lady to the plane and then check how I get home).... Ahh... don't ask.

cat

I'm sorry to hear you also had troubles with your transportation. I thought about warning you guys, but didn't have any phone numbers - probably it's time to finally get a phone from THIS decade with internet and stuff (roll)

cat

Quote from: neon on Tue 09/12/2014 17:15:30
You HAVE my phone number :-)

OMG, I completely forgot about that! I'm so sorry :(
I was so nervous and in panic I would miss my flight...

FlyingMandarine

Heya!

I had never presented our game, A Poison Green, to anyone else than my family, my bathroom mirror and my cat Rouquinette, so I was quite apprehensive of having to talk to people in a language that's not even my own. Fortunately, people were receptive, smiling, and very welcoming. Sorry to those who asked me to come around to the pub for bailing out; my social anxiety got the best of me.

I already look forward to showing the progress we made on the game next year -- if all goes well, it should be close to completion by then!

Some URL-dropping if you don't mind:
The game's page: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=48207.0
Our Twitter: https://twitter.com/FarawayInd
And my Facebook page (for those who wish to stay in contact): Patrice Hermenault

Thank you to everyone, especially Mark and Rebecca! It seems to have been an overwhelming task for both of you as you rushed left and right, but you should know some people truly appreciated the efforts you put into it. :)

Until next year!

neon

Quote from: cat on Tue 09/12/2014 17:22:39
Quote from: neon on Tue 09/12/2014 17:15:30
You HAVE my phone number :-)

OMG, I completely forgot about that! I'm so sorry :(
I was so nervous and in panic I would miss my flight...

Don't worry, we made it. Glad you made it home :-)

Looking forward to meet you again next year!

Blount

Hi Everyone! AdventureX was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. I almost didn't have time to socialize much cause the talks were ALL extremely interesting and I didn't want to miss any of those.
If anyone in the forum is living in London and wants to meet informally once in a while, please get in contact and we can figure something out.
Looking forward to the next one!!!

EDIT: As a small suggestion, IMHO there should be some time of small break of 15 mins between a talk and the next one, and the main break should leave time for lunch (more than 30 mins, probably an hour)

THANKS REBECCA AND MARK FOR SUCH AN AWESOME EVENT!

Miez

theo

Those are great pics, Miez & Neon! :)

We didn't really photodocument the event quite as well as we should have, but we'll probably be putting some pics online shortly as well. Probably up on our devlog. :)

neon

Quote from: AGA on Tue 09/12/2014 12:56:04
In the settings page of the Facebook page, try unchecking "Targeting and Privacy for Posts -> Allow targeting and privacy options when I create posts on my Page".  The AGS page at least is visible to all, even without a Facebook login...

It turned out that it's only necessary to log in when using the mobile Facebook site and that's no issue with our galery, more that the mobile version of Facebook always requires to be logged in. However, thanks for the tip.

Ali

I had a smashing time at AdventureX as well. It was lovely to meet faces both familiar and unfamiliar. I wish I hadn't been so busy over the weekend, because I would love to have chatted to more of you in greater depth. I'm looking forward to so many of the games I saw!

Dave Gilbert

Back home and back at it. AMAZING time, as per usual. So great to touch base with everyone again. Thanks to Mark, Becca, Berian and everyone else involved!

Azure

Here's my Flickr Stream:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/70368927@N03/sets/72157649692844201/

Not as many as last year had awful tech problems all weekend

Grundislav

Now that I'm home and recovered, I can again say what a fantastic time it was and how much I enjoyed talking to people and meeting AGSers and others alike.  (Although I also think we should have nametags, there were 1 or 2 people I knew would be there who I didn't get to meet - Shaun, sorry I missed you!)

neon

We've added a gameplay video of Bertram Fiddle we recorded in Zone A:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGoAtGOyr-Y&feature=youtu.be&a

Btw., Episode 1 of the game has been released today for iPhone and iPad.
http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/bertram-fiddle-episode-1-dreadly/id930404329?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

Unfortunately I did not have the chance to look into everything i wanted (not even half of it), but if you were there with your games and want to make it into the article I'm preparing, send screenshots, videos (download links, please no YouTube links) or whatever to neon [at] adventure-treff.de. I will add the videos to our youtube, twitter, facebook and DailyMotion channels and create picture galeries on our website.

neon

There is also a video from the Absent 2 presentation on AdventureX (not best quality, but I think it's ok for an unattended MPEG-Camera).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rORA9RDBNI

Also there is a kickstarter for the game now (actually the reason why I decided to cut this one first)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fentonfilmgames/absent-ii

CaptainD

Steve Brown's coverage for AdventureGamers has been posted:
http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/27781

Some slightly bizarre observations about one or two of my games, but it's a very good read overall/ :=

cat

Great write-up that makes me realize how many games I didn't notice - there were so many things happening at the same time.

Monsieur OUXX

Is there any way to find a video of Dave Gilbert's presentation on how to write efficient dialogs with fewer words? I'm supremely interested. I've found that I completely lack that skill.

Azure

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Wed 17/12/2014 20:01:53
Is there any way to find a video of Dave Gilbert's presentation on how to write efficient dialogs with fewer words? I'm supremely interested. I've found that I completely lack that skill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfHpch-ipFU&list=PLCsMVt0zsko3s_4GtqKVbhHBXC_pkMXnG

Monsieur OUXX

Yeppoh

theo

cat: Yeah I realize now how much awesome stuff I missed out on. There was a lot on show! :D

Glad that Dave Gilbert talk got reoorded because I totally missed it. I spend a lot of time ranting about the importance of editing your stuff down, I'm glad Dave shares this opinion and helps spread the wisdom!

FNGames

Hey, thanks for posting my presentation on Absent II to YouTube. And cheers for the write up at Adventure Gamers too! Was a really great event and looking forward to next year!

Also, the Kickstarter for Absent II is in effect now as noted on the day:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fentonfilmgames/absent-ii

Thanks!

-Fenton

neon

Meanwhile we also have the presentation of The Slaughter on YouTube.

Unfortunately the main issue with this room was that the camera was located at the end of the room, the music of the games came from the speakers in the ceiling and the presenters had no microphone. So the game music is always too loud and the presenter is sometimes pretty hard to understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwoen-x9Jp4

Stee

Hope you all had a great time!!

Sorry I couldn't make it this year, accommodation and stuff was just too expensive so close to xmas, and I couldn't get the time off anyway
<Babar> do me, do me, do me! :D
<ProgZMax> I got an idea - I reached in my pocket and pulled out my Galen. <timofonic2> Maybe I'm a bit gay, enough for do multitask and being romantical

Brainchild

I had a truly awesome time, it was great catching up with everyone and meeting some new people too! It was great to be able to attend some talks this year, though I did kinda miss having a booth.

Thanks for the recording Neon, and don't worry, I'm hard enough to understand at the best of times! It's been a good lesson in making sure I speak up from now on!

And thanks theo for getting my proverbial 'ass' in gear regarding alpha testing, I need to get started on that right away, and get a copy of the game over to you asap!

CaptainD

Thanks Neon!

You even kept the bit with me muttering away to myself at the beginning... :-D

cat

*bump*

Will there be an AdventureX 2015?

Dave Gilbert

Was just about to post here to ask this myself! Would like to book tickets and things, so do let us know.

m0ds

As there hasn't been any particularly positive news so far, I've held back posting anything. LSBU have not given a greenlight, they seem to not want to host events there anymore (of any kind). This is the higher ups, not Siobhan, of course, she wants AdvX to happen there and all the other events she runs. So she's in negotiation with them, as you might expect dollar signs probably get them motivated. Just depends how many... I'll nudge them again and express that international attendees really need an answer now.

Of course I am very interested in making it happen, it's like family now ;) But whilst I'm not opposed to a new venue, the workload of moving to a new one is, to put it politely, annoying. And year on year new venues is becoming slightly tedious!! I'm not entirely sure I have the time/mental strength to deal with that this year. But we will still give it a try if it's necessary, and Becky or someone else may be able to head up the venue part of the organization, which would allow me to concentrate on the event itself.

cat

Thanks for the info, Mark!

Too bad this not as easy as I hoped it would be.
I hope things get sorted out soon, since I have to book a flight and also there might be a different event I'd attend if AdventureX does not happen. Do you maybe know the weekend AdvX will take place? Is it going to be 5/6th of December?

m0ds

That's the aim, although Germans are telling me that weekend is a particular Xmas national event, so maybe the one after, depending on how it might affect numbers.

Azure

I will add if anyone knows of any venues in London ( especially if you have contacts there ) let us know as a back up. I don't live in London anymore so it's hard to scout places but I can certainly look into it.

cat

m0ds

Sadly not Cat. News is still stalled cos of LSBU's indecision. And whilst we are looking into alternative venues, finding a balance between space and cost, taking some time. We have had a few suggestions (thanks folks!). If anyone is particularly connected to a Uni in London definitely get in touch with me!

Admitedely, LSBU seemed like such a sure thing at the end of last year's event that I didn't plan a contingency. So a smaller scale event or even a break this year, are other possible outcomes. That said, we are trying to make something happen... I just don't see the point posting updates about things that haven't happened yet. There's also the physical burden of running an event when you're supposed to be releasing 3-5 games before Christmas and your business is dealing with a bunch of new EU VAT regulations.

If more people want to join the AdventureX team, help ensure gaurantees over it and what not, you're more than welcome. You can help us with venues by emailing details of our event to potential places, negotiating prices and stuff. AdvX needs a stronger PR team like that anyway, if it's to survive. Find us more sponsors and we could have any venue in London! If you want to help out on the day, or take some other role, anything that you think can benefit it then there's room to get involved. Becky no longer lives in London and I am still not earning enough to live anywhere near it myself, so it suffers a bit from not having a "ground team" (who is mostly Tom now!) so even if you just live in London you could be useful to us for checking out a couple of places/things etc. We have a subforum here so you can get access and join in the organization. PM Azure or me. The rewards, are mostly that you are helping a physical part of the adventure gaming machine, I guess? (laugh) and get to see an event to fruition and see people enjoy it.

As soon as there is better news relating to our efforts for 2015, it will certainly be posted :)

Dave Gilbert

Does it have to be a university? Would an auditorium and one track of events work just as well? I know a few theatre directors in London who might know of a few places we could use.

Dave Gilbert

Check your facebook PMs, Mark and Rebecca. I got in touch with someone who might be able to help.

m0ds

It doesn't have to be a uni, but we tend to need rooms with digital projectors. That's really our #1 necessity, doesn't matter if there aren't computers etc but projectors so people can present, demonstrate, talk etc... Built in facilities like that are a better option than us having to rent projectors and screens. Anyway thanks for emailing (and Broomie), I will try and follow these suggestions up tonight or tomorrow by sending some info of what we typically require.

Andail

Mods, maybe you should edit the first post so that it reflects the current (uncertain) state of things. For a second I looked at the thread and thought it was all sorted out, until I saw the date of the thread.

I'd love for a AdvX to happen this year, but unless it's the first weekend of December or earlier I probably won't make it, as I'm away mid December...

m0ds

True. It looks like we'll need to go from the ground up on this, and you're right the best way to see that through is probably an up to date thread. So, I'll lock this one now and start a 2015 one shortly, and we can hopefully make something happen from there.

I've had venue suggestions, thanks! So far what's clear about each is that to make any of them happen in similar capacity to the last 3 yaers is a bit more expensive than usual. By "a bit" I mean a lot. Like, the last 4 events costs' put together. We do not seem to have a direct, clear (and let's also add "lucky") route into any venue this year as we have the last 4. AdventureX doesn't have quite the structure to just say "we have £4k, let's go!"... And when you need to raise more money you typically need to offer more incentives which I don't think I can personally handle this year. But hopefully with the new thread we can see about raising enough to make it happen, or alternatives to ensure there can be an event of some similar nature if we need to do something drastically different (smaller location etc) cos of costs etc.

I will post a call to arms thread tonight or tomorrow and sort out the website once that has some traction :)

m0ds

Looks like we'll be at Goldsmiths University (big square "NAB" building near bottom of site) this year... Thanks to Tom for making that happen and Goldsmiths for willing to accommodate. Proper thread and website update early in the week, just wanted to put a heads up here for those wondering :)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Goldsmiths+University+of+London/@51.4736202,-0.0373487,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xeb2cff5d2300d7f8

What do we know about this place/stuff?

> New Cross is well connected via London overground, stations about 5-10 min walk from venue
> Lots of shops around New Cross, restaurants 5 mins from the venue, and some local hotels/hostels
> Exhibitor space, large & small lecture halls planned to be in use this year
> On-site cafe selling tea, coffee, snacks - hired & open especially for us
> Disabled access (via lifts), toilets and (hopefully) secure storage

What are we still unsure about?
> The 5+6 Dec date is not fully confirmed yet, but is likely to be by the time of website update & new thread
> We have not covered ALL costs for the rental yet, so get in touch if you're willing to donate/sponsor etc
> Nothing known about Wifi & live streaming yet, only that we may have a Computer dept. behind us so these should hopefully work this year...that said, you never know what issues the layout of the venue may present. It was impossible last year to get the speaker and the screen all in one shot (not that live stream worked anyway)...
> We are looking into local pubs for evening function room hire over the weekend

More info and confirmation asap, in a new thread 8-) I will answer any Q's when I fire that up :=

m0ds

Right so it's 12 + 13 December 10-6pm each day at Goldsmiths uni, New Cross. A new thread will be up in a day or two for questions, discussion & signing up!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk