What is your favorite game company or developer?

Started by Xionix, Tue 13/09/2011 17:04:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Xionix

There was so many great adventure/graphic novel games over the years. But there was always one company or developer that always give us the best. And for me it was Hideo Kojima from Konami. He only have done two adventure games (Snatcher for Sega CD and Policenauts for the japanese Playstation, but there is a translation avaible that you can patch in the game), but they where the best for me. Especially Snatcher, although he is more famous for his action game Metal Gear Solid,  he always tell an awesome history not mather the genre.

m0ds

Xionix, sorry to be off topic - where did you write this post from, an iPhone?

I just wonder because the accompanying image - - I've never seen before, and it's cool, and I want one!

Xionix

lol not problem.
From a Motorola Grasp but I dont know about the image. I only see text when I connect from the cellphone so I guess it put it automatically.

Igor Hardy

Never noticed these little images before.

Mods, did you write your own post using a blue coffee cup? How is that even possible?

hedgefield

My favourite studio would have to be Naughty Dog, I just love Uncharted and their whole design process and company structure. Starbreeze I like too. As far as adventure game developers go I'd say Wadjet Eye and Revolution. They put out consistently good games (even if Revolution is starting to go the Nintendo way a little bit with their re-re-re-releases :))

Domino

Bethesda Softworks

I love their games, and they always keep me playing for hundreds of hours.

The Elder Scrolls, Fallout 3....I would mention New Vegas, but they only published the game. (Had to stop playing after constant freezing after the Old World Blues DLC)

edit: Obsidian you can kiss my ass!! okay I feel better now.

Sslaxx

Quote from: Domino on Wed 14/09/2011 00:32:18
Bethesda Softworks

I love their games, and they always keep me playing for hundreds of hours.

The Elder Scrolls, Fallout 3....I would mention New Vegas, but they only published the game. (Had to stop playing after constant freezing after the Old World Blues DLC)
Agree with you about Bethesda, Morrowind is a game I love. Just got Fallout 3, great game that as well.

Other publishers, past and present? Sierra and Infocom, I guess, are two fairly obvious choices. Never was much of a LucasArts fan. Revolution Software. Adventure Soft. id Software, it goes on.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Wonkyth

"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

Radiant

kconan

In the old days...SSI, Brøderbund, Origin Systems, and LucasArts.  Origin didn't just do the Ultimas, they made an awesome game back in the mid-80s called "Autoduel" which is one of my all-time favorites.  

These days...Valve and Bethesda.  And Telltale Games is pretty good as a smaller developer/publisher.

Xionix

Lots of good companies. Most of the games I play are old or indy. One of my favorites games of all times is Anachronox (and posibly my favorite game of all time) and it was made by Ion Storm, that's the only game from that company I have played but heard all the other where great, like Deus Ex. Too bad it exist no more.

Ali

Quote from: Radiant on Wed 14/09/2011 11:27:11
The Bitmap Brothers!

I see your Bitmap Brothers, and raise you an Oliver Twins!

Dualnames

If we're talking indie, Michael Molinari definitely.

If we're talking commercial, then well, Remedy or Delphin. :D
And if it's individual, Eric Chahi. For simply being fantastic.  :D
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Hudders

Used to be Bullfrog. Man, those guys could make a game: Populous, Syndicate, Theme Hospital, Dungeon Keeper...

God damn you EA.  >:(

KodiakBehr

Quote from: Xionix on Thu 15/09/2011 22:51:16
Lots of good companies. Most of the games I play are old or indy. One of my favorites games of all times is Anachronox (and posibly my favorite game of all time) and it was made by Ion Storm, that's the only game from that company I have played but heard all the other where great, like Deus Ex. Too bad it exist no more.

I miss Anachronox dearly.  It made me laugh so much, but is now far, far too ugly to be playable.

Igor Hardy

Mine used to be LucasArts and Looking Glass Studios...

Right now it must be Wadjet Eye Games. :)

Xionix

Anachronox might not be a graphic masterpiece now, but u can't seduce someone just by looking pretty. That game got it all, the puzzle are like an adventure game, awesome story, perfect gameplay for me.
Talking of LucasArts I want to get Grim Fandango, never play it.
Michael Molinari and Eric Chachi? Never heard from them...  I will look for some info.
I also like this old school RPG company indy Aldorlea, amazing games.

Dualnames

ANACHRONOX IS PROBABLY THE MOST FANTASTIC GAME I'VE EVER PLAYED.
I mean, i just started playing it cause i couldn't play anything else, only to fall in complete and utter love with it. Eric Chahi made a game called Another World. And some other games.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Xionix

Yes, Anachronox is a masterpiece it combines my two favorites genres in one game (adventure and RPG), the puzzle where ingenious.

As for Chachi I have heard of Another World, over here is call Out Of This World, he also did Flashback I think. Its interesting because that game you mention was an inspiration for Hideo Kojima (who create my favorite adventure game Snatcher). I think Chachi also make an adventure game but I'm not sure.

Igor Hardy

Quote from: Xionix on Sat 17/09/2011 00:00:59
I think Chachi also make an adventure game but I'm not sure.

Chahi worked as the graphic artist on Future Wars - a traditional adventure game. Also, he almost turned Another World into a point&click at one point.

KodiakBehr

On Anachronox, I always felt that as an RPG, it never really wowed me, as a puzzle game, it barely rose to the occasion...but as a story goes, it made me laugh in a way no adventure game has since.

"You left me in there for a year!  That was messed up."
"Or...you could repent, you cold-blooded killer..."
"Sly Boots...MASTER OF TIME AND SPACE!"
The concept of a planet as a NPC -- brilliant!

Good times.

Just dawned on me now.  PAL-18 is like a precursor to Jeff Jacques' Pintsize.

Xionix

I never saw those comics before, but yeah they are kinda alike. By ingenius I not meant hard, I mean clever and diferrent. The ones in Getta's Mansion or the way you beat the last boss, even now I have not seen any of that kind.

Guess Chachi was a very influential one, another god developer is Agustin Cordes, he created Scratches & Perfil De Riesgo, now he is making Asylum and I want to buy that one the very 1st day!!!

qptain Nemo

Anachronox is still pretty. :| And in fact it's prettier than most modern games. Because the count of polygons defines beauty much much less then attention to detail and actual sense and talent of making beautiful things. And that's not even touching the subject of how the life is blown into these models by characterization and emotion of their roles...
Saying that it's far "too ugly to be playable" just makes me wonder what the hell are you doing on AGS forums where most of games have amateur drawings for graphics and not Crysis-level graphics. Surely that's not satisfactory for you either? Oh and hey, have you seen your own game? That doesn't look like 2011 game, man. Where are all the shaders?

Sorry, say that I'm overreacting all you like, but I can't take such crude insults to the game that I consider the very pinnacle of gamemaking.

On-topic:
de-funct favourite companies: Ion Storm, Westwood studios, Legend entertainment.
alive: Revolution software, Pendulo studios

Ponch

Xionix

I agree with u qptain Nemo about the graphics,  but I also respect KodiakBehr's opinion, it does not look like Gears Of Wars 3 or any other of those games but its presentation is a work of art. I'm new into PC so I discover all those games recently, and I loved every minute of Anachronox, and after beaten it was an easy choice as my favorite game of all time. Is good to see all those companies I was not aware off  so I can learn some more about PC gaming.

Pyke

I'm a really big fan of Visceral (Deadspace series) and Irrational Games (Bioshock series). But my older all-time favorite dev was Black Isle.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk