Night of Fire (working title)

Started by Mr. Mozzarella, Tue 25/10/2005 22:24:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Mozzarella

Night of Fire

Beautiful green forests, valleys filled with all kinds of plants and animals, majestic mountains, a big and mysterious desert and lively towns and villages - this is the Kingdom of Talerien. At least it used to be a kingdom. But since the castle burned down more than a decade ago and almost every inhabitant was killed, the country is left to decay.

You are Calean, one of the few survivors of the Night of Fire. Since your mother, a kitchen maid, lost her life that night, you've spent your life in the orphanage of Varythia, the capital of Talerien. But all these years you felt you've been lied to. You were unable to remember anything of your life before the orphanage, but you had dreams. Dreams in which your mother was still alive. Now you've turned 18 and under normal circumstances you would have to leave the orphanage, go into an apprenticeship and find a life of your own.
But before anything else you want to be certain about what happened that night.

So you set off to a journey into the unknown, not knowing that your own personal fate is tied to the future of your country tighter than anything else.

Night of Fire has been in production since February 2005. At the moment I am the only one who is working at it, but I would be glad, if someone was interested in helping me with the music since I don't know very much about composing.

- NoF will be a full-length game
- in 640x480, with 640x400 for the room and 640x80 for a permanent GUI at the bottom.
- the colour depth is 16 bit (Hi-colour)
- NoF will be a chapter based game. So far I have finished the first two chapters (except music) and am working at the third one.

Progress: (2005-11-20)

Story: 99%
Programming: 50%
Backgrounds: 68%
Characters: 55%
GUI: 90%

Edit 2006-06-02:
I changed the URL of the screenshots, they are put on photobucket until I find a new, more reliable webspace.

Night of Fire - Thread

I control, I am in charge of
Everyones future, red button is mine

Mordalles

those are some beautiful backgrounds!

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

sparkle

this looks realy interesting i will look forward to playing it!

Kal-El

NOTE TO SELF: Definately download this!

Your background art is fantastic! I can't wait for this one!

Great work!

Candle

Very nice Mr. Mozzarella, I look forward to playing your game.

DanClarke

Looks nice, the snow scene reminds me of Curse Of Enchantia.

calacver

gee, some nice backgrounds! Your lighting rules! :)

Derwo

Stunning backgrounds!
Gonna keep an eye on that game.

Ben Jordan Fan

Ubel

Wow. Absolutely amazing graphics! Makes me really want to play this game. I especially like the background of the first screenshot. :)

One question, will you release this game chapter by chapter? Or will you release all chapters as one game?

Sinitrena

That's defenitly a game I will download when it's finished. As other people already said: The artwork is fantastic.
I don't know why you said "Night of Fire" is a working titel  ???, I like this name.

Nikolas

So beautifull. I envy you... :(

I want to be able to draw BGs like you!

I want to make games like you do!

But most of all I want to play this game. And I'm willing to wait. But not much. BTW how many chapters are we talking about? 3? 5? 7? At least the percentages are encouraging...

Beautifulllll

Mr. Mozzarella

First of all, thanks to you for all this positive feedback.Ã,  :) This really encourages me to continue the work.

Quote from: Nikolas on Fri 28/10/2005 03:30:10But most of all I want to play this game. And I'm willing to wait. But not much. BTW how many chapters are we talking about? 3? 5? 7? At least the percentages are encouraging...

There will be 4 chapters. The first and the fourth one are in seperate areas that can't be entered before or after. The second and third chapter take place in the same area (although there are some more accessible areas in the third than in the second ...) so some smaller puzzles can be solved either in the second or third chapter.
All chapters will be released in one game. They are just there for dividing the game into different parts with each part having one or two major tasks.

At the moment, I can't really say how long you will have to wait. Originally I was aiming for a release in mid 2006, but I wouldn't rely on that because I don't know how my "real life" will develop and how much time it will leave me for working at the game.

Quote from: Sinitrena on Fri 28/10/2005 02:53:19
I don't know why you said "Night of Fire" is a working titel  ???, I like this name.
Because I might come up with something better  ;)
But until then, it is "Night of Fire"
Night of Fire - Thread

Mr. Mozzarella

Here, because it's almost Christmas, a frame of a talking view:

Lately, I've been wondering whether it is possible to release a beta testing version of the first two chapters once they are finished (which hopefully won't take too long anymore) - given that there's someone who would like to bugtest a game that's only half finished.
This would have several advantages. The tester doesn't have to test the whole game at once (which would take longer). I wouldn't have to get rid of all bugs at one time but could "clean" the first half of the game right away and the other half later ... and I could get feedback to the first two chapters at a point where I'm still closer to them than I'll be later ...

Is there anything to be said against that?

Merry ChristmasÃ,  :)
Mr. Mozzarella
Night of Fire - Thread

Kaelem Gaen

Sorry for Necroposting...

But I must say those are some beautiful backgrounds... and that face pic is very nice.  So I look forward to seeing this game when it is released
~ Chaos, panic, disorder...  My work is done here. ~

Barbarian

Story and idea seems interesting from what you've described.

Unfortunately, the screen-shots don't show for me. And if I copy and paste a link for one of your images, I get taken to some 404 error page: http://404.ohost.de/403.html/
  Maybe you've exceeded bandwidth for your pictures, or they took them down? Anyways, would love to see the pics if you can find better hosting for them.

Good luck with the project.
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

Gilbert

Since this thread was 4 months old, missing images is not a surprising feature of it. ;)

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: TerricMoonborn on Wed 26/04/2006 07:13:37Sorry for Necroposting...

Don't apologize for "necroposting" ... apologize for not reading the forum rules.

Read them, and don't do this again.

Mr. Mozzeralla - PM me if you're still working on this game and wish to update the thread.  I will unlock it.

Mr. Mozzarella

There is not much new I could tell you at the moment, but the posts made in april (I somehow didn't get email notifications for them, although I enabled that) remembered me that I maybe should post an update.

Sometime earlier this year I finished the second chapter and now I am working at the third one. Four backgrounds and some of the scripting are done, the next thing I should focus on are the characters of the third chapter.
This is something I don't like that much, especially if animation is involved, but it has to be done and so I try my best.
There are supposed to be some poeple standing on and walking across a town square, so that the town itself looks a bit more lively. If you are interested in making such an animation (or any other animation for that matter), please write me a pm :) I'd be more than grateful.

Music for the first and second chapter is not finished yet, but Aleksander Mosingiewicz is working at it. He composed 5 tunes that are already in the game.

Thanks for your interest in "Night of Fire"Ã,  :)

Edit: My old webspace turned out to be rather unreliable and now they wanted to be paid for external linking. This is why you couldn't see the screenshots. Now I put them on photobucket until I find a better webspace. Nevertheless, please tell me if you are unable to see them.
Night of Fire - Thread

Bai Karl

I like the first two screenshots, but third one needs more work. ButI think it will be nice game. I like it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk