Stediddy in IP1; Employment.

Started by uncle-mum, Sun 28/09/2008 01:25:47

Previous topic - Next topic

uncle-mum

Stediddy in IP1; Employment.

This is my first real attempt at making an adventure game, and even now its questionable what kind of a game will be achieved, with its “unique” takes on graphics, dialog and puzzles.
What I am in the process in finishing is the tale of a humble young fellow who has been sent to get a job for hazy and wholey irrelevant reasons.  When he reaches his interview he is confronted by abstract thought, wavy lines and a number of different possible endings (7 and counting…) all wrapped up in a crude, yet hopefully endearing, hand drawn world.
The game will not be a lengthy one but is the first in a series of adventures for the stick-figure protagonist as he attempts to navigate his way though a life filled with obtuseness, mice rail-roads, hot girls and the ever present threat of untimely death.

To begin with I know these are not the most action spectacular screenshots you will have been presented with but they are A) the only ones I have to hand and B) representative of the game (some how they do make sense when you seem them in action).
Now, as you can probably see from the screenshots illustration is not my strong point, but I thought I may as well work within my limits (and the game features characters from an original, kinda pants comic strip I did while bored in work which can be viewed here http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=66001781&blogID=243368377
and what I was striving for was an interactive episode of the comic, though hopefully the games will have more structure than the strip)
So, while it may not be pretty, the graphics I feel are functional, consistent and fitting for the 15ish minutes of left-field game play that this first Stediddy game will offer, and like I say static images don't do them full justice (well, its never going to be Okami, but I think you know what I mean).

Progress -
- Graphics 100%
- Puzzles 100%
- Scripting 80%
- Music/sound 20%

I can kind of understand that so far I have not made Stediddy’s first adventure seem like an essential one, but I hope that there will be a few people willing to give something a bit unusual a go when I finish it off in a week or so, and if nothing else it should make you smile (and will really not eat up that much of your life with its short play time)

Thanks for reading and I hope you've got a place in your gaming heart for a moron with a stupid name (it’s pronounced stee-did-ee) and a Billy Whizz haircut.

Che-oz,
Ceri

ThreeOhFour

I think that the graphics, particularly the first screenshot, are quite endearing indeed. Looks interesting, good luck with finishing the game :)

Ubel

This looks like something I'd have fun playing, as long as the dialog, story and gameplay are appealing. I'm a sucker for simple graphics. :)

Dualnames

Style seems unique and I really think it sort of is cool in many ways.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

uncle-mum

An update…
I’ve now finished this, thanks in no small part to the help of Nelly Cootalot creator Alastair who ripped apart my code and then made it work.  I’m just finishing beta testing (it can be found at hosted.filefront.com/unclemum if anyone fancies giving it a quick whirl a pointing out what’s broken) and I hope to have it all done in about a week.

Ali

Quote from: uncle-mum on Sun 12/10/2008 13:26:17
I've now finished this, thanks in no small part to the help of Nelly Cootalot creator Alastair who ripped apart my code and then made it work.

Hooray! I know you in real life! Do I have to call you uncle-mum on the internet?

This game is in a similar vein to the Life of D.Duck, Good Morning Mr Gingerbread and the Achtung Franz game, by which I mean it is too good for your eyes.

To make it a bit easier for anyone interested in beta testing, the link is here:
http://hosted.filefront.com/unclemum

Dualnames

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

kaputtnik

Hey - that accent...sounds like a mixture of a Ukrainian figure skater and an Italian gangster rapper to me. No offense, I can't judge that very well, I guess. Also, I beta-tested it for a while and kept on learning my lesson the hard way. It didn't feel very coherent, yet, and was sadly very demotivating. I like games that try unusual approaches on storytelling or on anything, in fact, but Stediddy still felt a bit too random.

Eventually, I felt like I only had to die in every possible way to see the clever or funny response that follows. And I am too young to die so frequently.
I, object.

Iliya

I don't like that kind of graphics...

Peder 🚀

Id love to see him with a walkcycle :P

I played, got very confused, generally liked the grapichs, but I think it need some changes. As it is now not much made sense to me at all, and just diddent really know what to do etc. Though it could definatly be a good game!

Whatever this game ends at I will love to see more games with Stediddy!

uncle-mum

Thanks to all that have so far replyed, glad people have been open to trying something new and a bit different.

I do understand that this game is a bit random a tad messy but I'm going to power on and finish it off in the form it's in (after making the tech changes suggested and mending bugs)
and then I can concentrate on working on Stediddy's second adventure which will hopefully retain the sense of character of this installment while also listening to the criticisms that have arisen and making the kind of game that more people might want to play.

Bai Karl

It looks like this game graphics are drawn by 6 year old child...

uncle-mum

Cheers Stan, I've now got the quote for the front of the Big Box compilation of the game

Ali

Quote from: Stan on Thu 16/10/2008 08:14:22

I hope the child welfare folks aren't reading this...

SSH

Quote from: Ali on Thu 16/10/2008 11:59:31
Quote from: Stan on Thu 16/10/2008 08:14:22

I hope the child welfare folks aren't reading this...

Don't anyone tell them about this, then:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk