Wretcher (Updates on the website)

Started by Alan v.Drake, Thu 22/04/2010 23:38:28

Previous topic - Next topic

magintz

Wow, definitely the highlight at AdventureX for me. Made me jump several times. I'm really looking forward to you completing this :)
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

m0ds

Yeps, was certainly brilliant! Goddamn man eating wall!  :=

sthomannch

selmiak

WOW! MORE!  ;D
The atmosphere and the puzzles are great, true horror. The pixel art and the noise are just perfect, there is only one downside... it's too short.

Ali

Nelly and I also played the demo at Adventure X. It has a very absorbing Lovecraftian feel. I particularly like the way the violence is kept on the edge of obscurity, so it doesn't become tiresome or gratuitous.

Looking forward to the release!

Surdy

The project looks promising.  :o

If you are interested by a free french translation, tell me I am your man.

Dave Gilbert

Loving it so far, but I'm already stuck. :o  Is there a way

Spoiler

past the man eating wall in the second room?
[close]

Mati256

My Blog! (En Español)

Alan v.Drake

I'm glad you liked it. Another year (or two) and it might be done  :=

@Surdy: Thanks, when I complete the game I'll contact you.

A little feedback on what to improve is always appreciated, the road is still long and there's time for improvements.

- Alan

Secret Fawful

This could surpass every AGS game ever made.

nihilyst

Great work! :D
That's gonna be one hell of a game :)

Trapezoid

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Tue 20/12/2011 22:55:39

Spoiler

[close]

I have the same problem, running doesn't help!

david

Quote from: Trapezoid on Thu 29/12/2011 23:07:13
Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Tue 20/12/2011 22:55:39

Spoiler

[close]

I have the same problem, running doesn't help!

who says about running, left-clicking would be more effective  ;D

Trapezoid

Ohh. Ok. Didn't realize you could. For the record, in my mind, when the cursor disappears = non-interactive cutscene. That bit needs a visual queue that the player still has control. Perhaps a different cursor icon instead of none?

Edit: Oh, I should've read the "How to play" section at the intro screen. Still, a panic mode cursor icon wouldn't be bad. Anyway, great demo. I love the graphics and atmosphere, and the scripting's really slick.

magintz

The panic mode seem to be that blue glowing crystal in the bottom right.
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

Alan v.Drake

The panic mode is when the portrait's background flashes.

By the way I'm glad you liked it, let's hope the finished product won't be a disappointment

- Alan

Darius Poyer

I was really blown away by the demo. I really like the puzzle style and the art is really well realized, damn good work.

I have a nitpick, it may be interesting.

I don't understand why you have the character say "I think I'm safe", or whatever it was after he exits the wardrobe/dresser once the monster is gone.

If I understands it's intended purpose correctly, it's a part of making the player understand the current situation.

That is obviously very important, but at the same time you have a plethora of ways in witch you communicate this.

You see the monster walk in, you see the monster banging on the metal door. The monster turns around and walks out. The player exits the wardrobe thing and speaks.

The whole segment with the monster banging the door is just such a great piece visual communication with the player. You understand that the monster has some intelligence because you see that he made an assumption. The monster was clearly wrong so you feel like you bested him, when the monster then walks out, you understand why that is and because you feel like you've outsmarted him somewhat the immediate danger dissipates. Having the character speak at this point is entirely redundant and I feel it takes away from a great scene.

On top of this of course you have the crystal to tell the player he is safe, or that there is danger in the current room.

I played a bit of clock tower on a snes emulator, and if I recall correctly, there are bits where you are chased by a monster. At the end of those, if you managed to not get killed, the monster would go back out the room. You would then walk back into the same room the monster walked into. It sends a mixed message and I like how you've addressed that here. It's like the monster drives you forward and into corners.
So when the character tries to walk out the room the way he came in, where the monster is, he tells you it would be dangerous and refuses. That's great, and once again, why does he have to talk after exiting his safe place?

You've got so many good things here, I feel you really need to focus on the subtleties because the game speaks volumes outside of dialogue and in this case that little bit of dialogue screws over a lot of better things that are already there. You have the opportunity to convey a feeling non-verbally but instead I felt beat over the head by it in that moment.

MASSIVE DISCLAIMER: It' could have been for the demo because you need to give new players as good a chance as possible, some didn't even read the how-to-play thing so, there's that.

Peder 🚀

:o <-- the look on my face while and after playing this!

Tabata

Well done â€" gave me a nice creepy feeling!     

splat44

Wow what a major improvements from first demo built!

Just a question, I managed putting two red orbs on door, is that end of this demo?

If not, can anyone explain?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk