World Map?

Started by CorCAD, Tue 20/01/2004 19:40:06

Previous topic - Next topic

CorCAD

I've just joined the Forums after lurking for a month or so. I've finally found a topic that wasn't dealt with in too much depth. I'm thinking of creating a world map which has various town and points of interest, similar to an RPG. I was then thinking of having the towns and such regular size.I've started my game with a 640X480 resolution, but I was thinking of making the world map bigger by 4 to 6 times so it will scroll . Will this work? If not I may just trash the idea. Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
CorCAD
If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how are you going to find time to do it again?

Ishmael

Ofcource it would. If you draw your background that big and import it to a room, the room scrolls when the main character moves.

If you want to make the map without the main character in it, and so that it scrolls when you move the mouse to the screen edge, just do something like:

in room repeadetly_execute:

if ((mouse.x > 630) && (character[GetPlayerCharacter()].x < game.room_width - 160)) {
character[GetPlayerCharcter()].x++;
}
if ((mouse.y > 470) && (character[GetPlayerCharacter()]. < game.room_height - 120)) {
character[GetPlayerCharcter()].y++;
}
if ((mouse.x < 10) && (character[GetPlayerCharacter()].x > 10)) {
character[GetPlayerCharcter()].x--;
}
if ((mouse.y < 10) && (character[GetPlayerCharacter()].y > 120)) {
character[GetPlayerCharcter()].y--;
}

I think...
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

CorCAD

Right on! I figured it was do-able. Just making sure, as I'm drawing the BG at work then taking them home where AGS is. Will post back if I got any more questions. Thanks for your help.

CorCAD
If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how are you going to find time to do it again?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk