Hourgame Saturday! (Today, December 12th)

Started by NsMn, Sat 12/12/2009 15:35:34

Previous topic - Next topic

NsMn

It's Hourgame Saturday again! And I cheated to be your host this week!

The purpose of Hourgame Saturday is, to encourage the amateur game-making, or to put it bluntly, to make you tear your ass off your chair and finally make something.
In this activity your task is to make an AGS game within a strict and a very short deadline (i.e. one hour).

Timeline:
The event takes place every (surely hope so) Saturday, starting at 7:00 pm GMT, when the theme is revealed on the IRC and in this thread. The participants then have one hour to make their entries and 15 more minutes for uploading. In brief: the deadline for entries is 8:15 pm.
Then the voting takes place till the Monday Morning.

Basic rules:
- Participants can join IRC for rules and updates (how do I join IRC?), but every information will be posted here too, so it's your choice.
- The theme is set by the previous week's winner and by the contest's host in event of his/her absence.
- While it is not forbidden for the theme-setters to participate in the activity, their games cannot be voted for (to prevent accusations of cheating and to discourage regular participation).
- Instead, theme-setters are encouraged to draw trophies for the contest's winners.
- Making your game from scratch is strongly encouraged, though it is not forbidden to use music or artwork from public sources if you are allowed to (e.g. using public domain music tracks in your game is OK, but not really necessary). It is also possible to use a pre-existent AGS template for your game (e.g. that Verb-Coin GUI template).
- You cannot use the stuff you've made earlier, because this competition is about making something new.

Uploading:
Suggested hosts to upload your entry to are:
- http://shutupload.com/
- http://www.mediafire.com/
- http://www.sendspace.com/
- http://www.rapidshare.com/
- Or your own place.

Voting:
Just tell us your favourite game (and possibly a couple of less favourite ones), and hopefully someone will do the counting.

Important: please post here if you'd like to join but the timeline is not ok for you! Slight changes are always possible!

NsMn

Let's start!

The topic is: "CITIES" (like, you know, plural of city)

Let's just hope someone enters...

Edit: Does someone need more time? Doesn't seem like it...

Bulbapuck

Sorry that I didn't join, lost my connection yesterday :'(

Since I was all pumped up about the hourgame I still made a game:
http://shutupload.com/dl/b2720b0f6b01/
But I didn't know the topic, so it's about christmas.

This activity seems to be dying... It seems like the only ones doing anything here are me and NsMn...
I hope it comes back to life.

Jim Reed

Well, I can offer some suggestions if my thoughts on the topic matter at all.

Bulbapuck

Jim Reed

Firstly, excusse my hangover.

Well, you lack entries IMO, because you lack appeal in the competition. Why would anyone want to make an entry here then?

I hosted one competition and I can say, although it was my first, that it was a succsess. I plastered Mr. Matti's (sp) name on the topic, even if I don't know him, just to try to make him make an entry. I pissed of Angelic Charon to make an entry, and it worked. I made a wooden trophy which is still flashing about in a sig here on the forums. It worked also. I got dunno 6-7 entries. I went on IRC pleading and gunning for entries. That worked also. I promised a trophy for all entries. Don't get me all wrong, that compo wasn't all stars and stripes, but it's my only expirience.

Look, I'm not some, dunno, guy who made all that happen, it sort of happened by itself, but I did try my best to get some entries and I got them.

This competition lacks flair man. I think you need to make enough fuss about it, so people want to make an entry. Offer something unique, go individual, grab sleeves, kick butts, show some grit! Put some effort in it!

This is the hardest competition on the forums, you should be aware of that. Make prizes in proportion to the effort. Make it a 15min compo. Make it a 2hour compo. Ask a mod or CJ to make a practical joke (April s fool thing) to make the compo have more appeal. Be imaginative. Offer to ship your old socks via mail to the winner. Blackmail someone to make an entry! =P Make your sister do an entry even if she doesn't know much about AGS. Offer your art/scripting services for a limited time as a reward. Make a template they must use, but make it unique. Cities? Who are you kidding? Is that all you got? Where are your balls?! What do you think, it rains entries around here? Put some backbone in it and push! Make the winner hand all of you prizes. Bribe Dualnames (example) to make an entry, by offering him an interview with someone interesting. Make the competition about Itally to make bicilotti want to join. Insult me to make me make an entry. Suprise everyone by making 3 different entries by yourself in less than an hour. Go individual. Make a song of it all and record it. Make it a prize. And a million other things you can do.

And what do I see when opening up the HG compo topic: "Cities." and that's about it. I'm sure you can do better than that.

Don't missunderstand me, I'm not criticising NsMn here, but the lack of effort. Things don't get done without effort. You need to work at it.

Again, this post is gonna look stupid later when I come to my senses =( sorry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk