Background Blitz - Nov.25 - Dec.07 - Trapped - (WINNERS announced)

Started by Geratuza, Tue 25/11/2008 11:44:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel Thomas

IDEA - babar
ATMOSPHERE - abstauber
COMPOSITION - abstauber
TECHNIQUE - abstauber
FUNCTIONALITY - babar
Check out The Journey of Iesir Demo | Freelance artist, check out my Portfolio

abstauber

IDEA - Zyndikate
ATMOSPHERE - Barbar
COMPOSITION - Zyndikate
TECHNIQUE - Zyndikate
FUNCTIONALITY - Babar

@Neil
I'm not really sure you can compare
this
http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/indy_jungle.gif
with that
http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/runaway.jpeg
?

Apart from that, zyndikates entry is pretty amazing and if I could draw like that I'd probably go highres too ;)

Neil Dnuma

Quote from: abstauber on Thu 11/12/2008 08:09:44
@Neil
I'm not really sure you can compare
this
http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/indy_jungle.gif
with that
http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/runaway.jpeg
?

Apart from that, zyndikates entry is pretty amazing and if I could draw like that I'd probably go highres too ;)

Hi, I'm sorry if it came out as if I was favoring Zynd's background because of it's higher resolution. I think he had the best idea, it has a very original twist while the other two BG's have scenarios I've seen before. I also think it was the most functional background - such clear walkable areas and exits. I adored your go with the very limited palette and think you pulled it off well, it has atmosphere and looks quite good. I think the copying of houses are a little too apparent, and that also gives some slight inconsistence with the perspective. Also, I find the tree to be very generic, and believe it could have looked a little more exiting. But great job, and I am sure you are more than talented enough to give high-res a go if you wanted. Looking forward to seeing more of your work :)

BTW. I prefer the Indy BG of those two! I think the colors (and light effects) could have looked better in the other.

Babar

Heh...yeah, my BG is a pretty pretty clichéd setting, although I haven't seen it any movies for a while now :D. Not trying to 'defend' myself in any way- I realise that mine is probably the most 'simple' of all the entries and it STILL didn't go the way I wanted (narrower, with a more 'trappy' feeling)- but while I do have a basic entry and exit point, I didn't pay them much mind, considering the theme of this contest. I got the 'bug' when I saw the contest, and I had the time, but as I mentioned before, I realised halfway  through that I didn't have anything else I could add after the basic background was complete.

Speaking of hi-res...can anyone tell me of any games that had non-cartoony (and non-3D, obviously) hi-res backgrounds? Just curious.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Daniel Thomas

Not to go totally off topic, but I would like to say my opinion on this(not pointed to anyone particular person).

Resolution doesnt make art better IMO, it doesnt even has to resemble anything(but it probably helps in this kind of game, but sure doesnt have to).
It doesnt mater how how much details, "hip" character or beautiful colors you have put in your painting, if the , for an example, composition isnt good, then its simply not. May it be modern abstract art or 3D renders - they're still on a flat surface and both has to consider the same picture-problems (composition, color, rythm, shapes, lines, edges etc etc.)

Thats why pixel art can be as much or more pleasing then a 5x5m Paul Rubens painting if its in the hand of a great artist(although its hard, since Rubens is awesome) ;)
Just head over to pixel-joint and look at the awesome people there, like Fool, helm and bulrogh.
I would also think that its the same with "styles", just because its cartoon it doesnt mean you have less problems then an artist painting realism, maybe some diffrent problems as "interesting shapes" vs "rendering".
This why I think many in my school with high 3D/maya knowledge still doesnt make good work, sure they can try to hide it with fancy stuff - but it only takes you so far. But those with strong artistic knowledge makes really great stuff, eventhough they just started with 3D this term - atleast thats my opinion, but it seems to be the general opinion in the school too.

So watch out for  judgments or prejudice, great art is always great art - no mather resolution, style or medium  :)
Thats my current opinion on the whole, if its a "big" topic, Ill gladly would discuss this more in another topic, if anyone feels like it.

(sorry for off topic, and bad english)

Babar

Whoops! I hope no one misunderstands me. I have nothing against hi-res, or cartoony, or 3D, or anything...and when it looks good, I like it. I was just curious, because all the hi-res games I played (admittedly not that many) before everything went 3D....they were all of the cartoony style: KQ7, SQ6, Torrin's Passage, Monkey Island 3, etc. I was just wondering, because as I said, I was curious.

I guess I should have explained my votes along with them....As Neil said, Zyndicate's technique and composition are obviously the best, and that doesn't really have anything to do (as far as I'm concerned) with hi-res or lo-res. Zyndicate had an interesting and creative angle to the theme, but I personally preferred abstauber's more traditional interpretation, as well as how the pure black & white worked with the snowy background to make it so atmospheric.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

G

If your asking for games with hi-res graphics, without 3D o cartoony style, there you have Broken Sword and Broken Sword 2, which use a 640x480 res graphics, I think. And the amateur game Broken Sword 2.5 also has hi-res graphics without 3D technology or cartoony style.

Geratuza

Idea
1st - Babar (3 votes)
2nd - Zyndikate (2 votes)
3rd - Abstauber (2 votes)

Atmosphere
1st - Abstauber (4 votes)
2nd - Babar (2 votes)
3rd - Zyndikate (1 vote)

Composition
1st - Zyndikate (4 votes)
2nd - Abstauber (2 votes)
3rd - Babar (1 vote)

Technique
1st - Zyndikate (6 votes)
2nd - abstauber (1 vote)

Functionality
1st - Zyndikate; Babar (3 votes both)
2nd - Abstauber (1 vote)

votes overall
1st - Zyndikate (16 votes)
2nd - Abstauber (10 votes)
3rd - Babar (9 votes)

Summary

Most participants liked the unique atmosphere of Abstaubers monochrome-b/w-image despite its technical simplicity. Compared with this, Zyndikate's background (as well as its composition) was considered as technically brilliant. However, it seems that it somehow could not generate an atmosphere that underlines the theme "trapped" well enough (in comparison to the other entries). Babar's entry is based on a good idea that could have been better realised.

So with 16 votes, Zyndikate is the deserved winner of this contest.

Thank you for participating everyone.

It's up to you to start the next round, Zyndikate!

Daniel Thomas

thanks!
Ill start the next one one a couple of days, crazy busy right now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk