OROW 2008 - Results!

Started by scotch, Tue 10/06/2008 18:43:36

Previous topic - Next topic

scotch

OROW V, 2008

Time is up. Hooray for all those that entered. We have 12 games this time, and they're all in the zip below.
download: orow5.zip (79.6MB)
Voting is now over, here are the results:

The audio winner is: Man Boy vs Doctor Sock by Ben304
Best game design goes to: How Many by AJA
The visual arts award goes to: Seed by LimpingFish
The highest writing score went to How Many by AJA

Aaand the overall winner for this OROW is... How Many, AJA's second win in a row. First time that has happened.

A special commendation to MashPotato's Beauties and Beasts which scored high in every category, winning none.

if you want to see your scores in detail: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/aga/orowv/res.txt

The authors of the games were:
Baltazar the Familiar - King Wiking
Beauties and Beasts - MashPotato
Chatroom - JBurger
Cheerful Science - Akatosh
How Many - AJA
Man Boy vs Doctor Sock - Ben304
One Week, One Room - Jon
ONNA - Dualnames
Seed - LimpingFish
Think Outside the Boxland - TheOrator
Unfinished Business - Ishmael
Wisp - SimB

zenassem

I'm definately in. Need to start thinking of ideas....

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Good luck to those with the time for it.  I will play your entries and vote accordingly!

The Suitor

I think I'll enter this! I was going to enter MAGS this month but couldn't quite fit my idea in with the rules. This might be a good start for me (even though I've been here for a year now). I'll start thinking up some more ideas!
surely I can do a one roomer  :P

zenassem

edited oops!!

Evil

SHHH! Don't tell. It's all a secret!

Akatosh

Quote from: scotch on Tue 10/06/2008 18:43:36

There is no restriction on theme or content, only the time limit of one week. The game can have more than one "room", but the one room guideline is a good goal if you want to finish on time.

So it's a lot like a WAGS, right?  :P

Anyway. You're rather likely to see my drawing style in the competition.

IndieBoy

Edited for Zenassem
Quote from: Calin Elephantsittingonface on Tue 08/02/2011 09:00:55
The only person in favour of the mobs seems to be IndieBoy.. but he's scottish so we dont listen to him anyway.

zenassem

Forgot it's an anonymous competition. :P

I edited my first post, but if it makes it fair I'll disqualify my entry, or come up with something diff't and keep it quiet this time.  :-X

Ishmael

I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Erenan

Yippee! OROW! Time to start brainstorming!
The Bunker

scotch

It doesn't run all the time, it gets a lot more entries, the vote system is different, there is no theme constraint, and because of the lower investment of time you often get more unusual entries and more finished ones. It's a time limit game activity but I wouldn't want people to think of it simply as a shorter MAGS.

Retroid

Maybe I'm the only one not getting it, but how do you submit a game anonymously?

scotch

Sorry if that's not clear, by that I mean you send the game to the voting organisers in private, and don't put your name on the entry, they then host the games in one place. It's meant to make it less of a popularity contest as well as a bit of fun trying to guess who made what.

voh

This'll be fun, and with me realizing it's going to happen before it's already ended, I may even get to do something for it. I'm going to go to the pub with my notebook now and brainstorm over a cup of coffee ^_^
Still here.

Alarconte

The last OROW winners were Amazing to be done in a week!

Every OROW need to have 100% original art? 'Cause I've thought 'bout do little chapters of my games series, but I can do 100% original art for every little chapter if is for an OROW, but the possibility of use some of my character templates is important.

Is in the same way if you make a photo of a real building for a game,  You don't drawed the building,is and existent building, isn't 100% original art. Is only a photo. If I want to use an existent character, I can't use it? I need to redraw?

This first week I can't participate, but I would to know this for the future..

Thanks ;)
"Tiny pixelated boobies are the heart and soul of Castlevania"

Galactic Battlefare Capital Choice Part 1 , finished, releasing soon
GBF CC Part 2, WIP

Ishmael

The general rule has been that you should make all art specifically for the game and within the competition week. I don't remember the policy for pre-made publically available art, tho.
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

scotch

Anything publically available before the competition is allowed, eg instagame, plugins, modules, photos off the internet. Anyone can use these things so it's not an unfair advantage. Reusing your own things is a bit of a grey area, the game shouldn't be a continuation of work you did before OROW, but I know people have their character templates and whatever, obviously nobody is going to get mad if you base your art off them. Just try and be fair.

Saberteeth

Akatosh

OROW stands for "One Room, One Week" and it's a competition we've run four times now, fairly successfully, for small adventure games.

You have a week to make a short game using AGS.
There is no restriction on theme, and less typical games are encouraged.

So... just adventure games or AGS games in general?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk