The fall of European Undersea Facility 02 [FINISHED]

Started by WHAM, Sat 06/08/2011 22:02:54

Previous topic - Next topic

WHAM

Quote from: Frodo on Wed 18/04/2012 04:39:40
But most adventure games have some kind of Save feature, to save your progress.  Is it possible to go back to before we were shot?   ???

> Load Game

:P

Nope! No such thing here, I'm afraid. :D When it comes to combat and NPC interactions, I use the "magic-8-ball-of-doom" to resolve outcomes randomly (such as weapons hits, injuries, hit locations etc), so even I don't always know what will happen the next turn until I start to draw it. This one turned out quite dramatic. To be hones, I was quite sure you guys were going to high-tail it out of this place on a sub a long time ago! I was fully prepared to start a story of what happens after you reach the surface, but nope, looks like the 8-ball says we are going a different way.

QUESTION TO PLAYERS:
would you prefer
A: Keep the same character, mystery and seamless continuity?
B: Get a new (less shot-in-the-head) character, but slightly break continuity and reveal all the mysteries (like "where are we", "why are we there", and "who was our original protagonist"?
C: Just end this story here, and start writing a new all-original one?
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Utterly untrustworthy. Pending removal to memory hole.

Eric

Quote from: WHAM on Wed 18/04/2012 05:37:13A: Keep the same character, mystery and seamless continuity?

My vote is for this one, if you can manage a Chapter 6 scenario where we still have some agency in our condition. We will just have to be much more cautious in the future.

In any case, I absolutely vote against C. To start a mystery story, tell it over the course of 3/4s of a year, and then never finish it? That would be cruel.

Also, I still would like to see a director's cut edition, where we find out all of the things we didn't discover, the paths we didn't choose, the answers we didn't solve, etc.

WHAM

If we had gone with C, I would have done an epilogue story to end off the story, reveal some story aspects etc. But I also agree, let's see if others do as well.

Whever we do end this story, I will probably draw a sort of a time line where you can see how the different characters moved and acted when you weren't observing them, how the map of the game works out and what key items, clues and events you could have seen but didn't. ;)
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Utterly untrustworthy. Pending removal to memory hole.

Eric

Quote from: Victor6 on Wed 18/04/2012 00:12:38Some people just skip the committee and go straight into the asteroid field.

At least they have chicken....

Quote from: WHAM on Wed 18/04/2012 06:59:01Whever we do end this story, I will probably draw a sort of a time line where you can see how the different characters moved and acted when you weren't observing them, how the map of the game works out and what key items, clues and events you could have seen but didn't. ;)

Good good good!

Joshy

Although I'm technically new here, I've been reading this whole thread and I just think this is the coolest idea and since a new chapter is beginning I'd like to join in once it does!

But like Eric said (and having read the whole thing myself!), I agree it would be too cruel to not continue this story to the end :)

WHAM

Quote from: Joshy on Wed 18/04/2012 08:32:38
Although I'm technically new here, I've been reading this whole thread and I just think this is the coolest idea and since a new chapter is beginning I'd like to join in once it does!

But like Eric said (and having read the whole thing myself!), I agree it would be too cruel to not continue this story to the end :)

Welcome aboard, Joshy! More players are always welcome and if you've taken the time to read all 35 pages of previous posts, that is just insanely awesome of you!  8)

Frodo

Quote from: WHAM on Wed 18/04/2012 05:37:13
Quote from: Frodo on Wed 18/04/2012 04:39:40
But most adventure games have some kind of Save feature, to save your progress.  Is it possible to go back to before we were shot?   ???

> Load Game

:P

Nope! No such thing here, I'm afraid. :D

It was worth a try   ;D

QUESTION TO PLAYERS:
would you prefer
A: Keep the same character, mystery and seamless continuity?
B: Get a new (less shot-in-the-head) character, but slightly break continuity and reveal all the mysteries (like "where are we", "why are we there", and "who was our original protagonist"?
C: Just end this story here, and start writing a new all-original one?

My vote also goes to A. Keep the same character, mystery and seamless continuity?

Let's see this story through to the end.   ;)

Joshy

Quote from: WHAM on Wed 18/04/2012 08:54:39
Welcome aboard, Joshy! More players are always welcome and if you've taken the time to read all 35 pages of previous posts, that is just insanely awesome of you!  8)

I think it just goes to show you've taken the time to create a really engaging game!  I lay in bed all day one day reading through these on my laptop, it kept me in bed until about 2pm!

Anyway, now I'm looking forward to actually getting involved.   :)

selmiak

I also vote A and a timeline later :D

if you look closely at this:

you will notice there is no entry point for the bullet on the guy's head so it sh/could be just a grazing shot that destroyed parts of the helmet...

Joshy

Quote from: selmiak on Wed 18/04/2012 10:41:46
you will notice there is no entry point for the bullet on the guy's head so it sh/could be just a grazing shot that destroyed parts of the helmet...

I noticed this too.  But that's a lot of blood if it's just a graze, no?
That being said, the blood might just be part of the drama! ;)

Keith Keiser

Quote from: WHAM on Wed 18/04/2012 08:54:39
Quote from: Joshy on Wed 18/04/2012 08:32:38

I did that to D:, and nobody said hi to ME, unless i missed it, i could be just whining but idk.

WHAM

Quote from: Keith Keiser on Wed 18/04/2012 15:27:39
I did that to D:, and nobody said hi to ME, unless i missed it, i could be just whining but idk.

Oh dammit...
Welcome aboard, Keith! :D
Also, pre-emptively: welcome aboard everyone else who has been playing so far! ;)

Tabata

I am voting for "A" because I like the story, the gameplay and what WHAM makes out of it (and I am curious how it will go on)  ;D

Ponch

Tis clearly but a flesh wound (says the man who got him shot). I vote "A".

And kudos to whoever it was who said "put on the hard hat." That (or the cooking pot) may have just saved our little dude's life.  :D

Keith Keiser

Yay :D
I vote A

Sane Co.

Please note option D is invisible, and no one but sane co can see it.
Option D is: You can control the whole lot of all the characters.
Surprisingly I vote for option D, because I am a control freak.
But in reality I vote for option A.
Subtext:
Please note that Ponch never said any of the above.

WHAM

Will take me a while to get to the new updates, since I need to plan out  a whole new map, some characters and puzzles and the like before we get to it. However, I just wanted to make this post to thank you all for participating! I'm looking through the thread myself to learn from past mistakes and to improve future gameplay, and I am only now realizing how many people have been part of making this little story/game/interactive fiction possible!

AGS community: keep being awesome!

selmiak

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I would vote C if only to get some closure to the story but if A will wrap up events in a reasonable way that's fine too.

WHAM

Votes tallied, option A it is, ladies and gentlemen.

Just posting to let you guys know that I'm doing a slight overhaul of the games visuals and interface. Here are a few notes on upcoming changes:
- New character views (still loveable bobbleheads, but hopefully with a bit more characterization and a more manageable and modular body)
- New UI with distinct inventory slots (to clarify how much stuff you can carry), ability to EQUIP any inventory item as current weapon
- NERVES -bar removed, replaced with a multitude of possible status ailments like "concussion", "unconscious", "deaf", "panicked" and "Limb Broken"
- The fabled MAIN FACILITY to explore, with a bunch of new NPC's, puzzles, timed events, steak and more

"Chapter 6 - Breather" will begin within the week. If I have time I might even be able to start it up on sunday, but no promises.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk