6 Days a Sacrifice

Started by Rui 'Trovatore' Pires, Thu 25/01/2007 08:00:15

Previous topic - Next topic

mwahahaha

As far as free games go, yahtzee's games are really close to as good as it gets, just played through the whole of 6 days todayt, being once again startled at how truly engrossing the game is.

5 days was a tad confusing at times, but all his other games really are brilliant, with very good stories.  Even if they're a tad short, a few hours for a 40 second download is really pretty nice (the same applies to most AGS games)

Stupot

I think the title of this thread should be altered now that it is no longer the 'new' Yahtzee game.

Johnn

*sigh*
I thought I'd find people on here being a little more positive about this game. And the series in general. But every other post seems to be ripping it apart either because of apparent plot holes or because it isn't 5DS. I mean, maybe I appreciated it more and saw a greater fluidity to it because I decided to play all the games in rapid succesion, but seriously the series is great and most of the 'plot-holes' are easy to explain.
Like Chzo's motives. Firstly, don't confuse Chzo with the Cult. They are two different things. It was the Cult's plan to destroy the bridge, Chzo had a different agenda. He probably didn't even want to intervene with it. I mean, he's the closest thing to a god, and is barely seen in the game, so I can't really understand why people try and work out his motivation. In fac, if anything he could have been seen as TRYING to prevent it form happening by sending the arragont man to kill the clones.
As for the New Prince. Why did Chzo make him? Because he got to the other end of the board. Not exactly the best answer ever, but it's more or less true. The 'it hurts' message that kept coming up all the time, probably indicated he's the perfect candidate for apprentice to a God of Pain.
As for time-travel and time loop. For god's sake, do you not get the point of this game? The basic story behind it? It's all about the past affecting the present as well as the future affecting the present. Past, present, future all one big blur. Which is PERFECT if the game is about tying up loose ends.
I know I'm bringing up a very very VERY old topic here, but I don't see how the Chzo series was in any way damaged or ruined by this. At its core it still has a familiar feel, along with new ones thrown in, creating a multi-textured series, which is quite good considering it started of as a horror/mystery game.
So yeah... Just saying...

Nlogax

I've played the game through twice and tbf the first time I played it through I was a little confused, but then I went back and played the other games through before playing 6DAS through again, and it made more sense the 2nd time around.

My main problem with this episode is that it's more like an interactive story than a point and click game; not enough puzzles. But hey that doesn't detract from the overall series I don't think.

Jared

Quote from: johnnLike Chzo's motives. Firstly, don't confuse Chzo with the Cult. They are two different things. It was the Cult's plan to destroy the bridge, Chzo had a different agenda. He probably didn't even want to intervene with it. I mean, he's the closest thing to a god, and is barely seen in the game, so I can't really understand why people try and work out his motivation. In fac, if anything he could have been seen as TRYING to prevent it form happening by sending the arragont man to kill the clones.

Ironically you yourself seem to have misunderstood the plot. Nobody in the cult is trying to destroy the bridge. They are trying to destroy John DeFoe's mind which will make the bridge - and Chzo does not try to prevent it. The Tall Man is working against his Master's wishes to try and prevent it because he knows he dies at the birth of the New Prince.

QuoteAs for time-travel and time loop. For god's sake, do you not get the point of this game? The basic story behind it? It's all about the past affecting the present as well as the future affecting the present. Past, present, future all one big blur. Which is PERFECT if the game is about tying up loose ends.

From my point of view, the ending was quite unsatisfying that it all turned out to be much ado about nothing. That everything that happened was simply about getting Chzo a new minion and that Somerset uses his superpowers simply to transform himself into the biggest Uncle Tom in the Universe.

I think it's very debatable that the game was actually about 'tying up loose ends' either. There is no 'Czho mythos' in the series at all before TN. Before that, the stories are essentially shock horror slashers that are definitely scary but nowhere near as deep as the AGS community would have you believe. In fact, 7DAS is very shallow and crude IMO. More than anything else, TN feels like a deliberate lengthening of the series through a slightly forced retcon to provide room for a third game. The biggest problem with it is that it needs to be anchored to the series, though - I think it is by far and away better than any other game in the series.

Then, I'm a critical guy. And I'm not surprised that people are very critical of Yahtzee, given his overbearing online persona and stratospheric ego. To give him his dues 5DAS is brilliant escapist entertainment, 6DAS is a great bit of storytelling, and TN sits next to Adventures in the Galaxy of Fantabulous Wonderment as one of the best AGS games I've played.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk