The Original Leitor's Edge - A Gift

Started by Snake, Thu 04/03/2010 21:21:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Snake

Don't get too excited!

I've decided to fix up and recompile the near zero progress I made with Leitor's Edge back in 2003.

I figured I'd release this version as a gift to those of you that are STILL patiently awaiting this game after all these years.

It includes the unfinished intro sequence and the unfinished first "playable" scene.
Besides fixing some spelling errors, adding in some hidden "Fun Facts" and additional information about this original version, it is still intact as the same version I worked on back in 2003.

Nobody has ever seen this, including David Olgarsson... so enjoy!

SCREENS:

No... she's not naked, there's a towel there ;)

DOWNLOAD

\\--EDIT--\\
This is NOT an early April Fools... I promise :P
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

Dualnames

If it's n April fools (even an unfinished April) I swear the CJ I'll hunt you down and kill you. :P
Cheers!

EDIT: Also great!! I was surprised I was mentioned once and referred once! Also, because of the melancholy that was brought to me with the excellence of this game, I've gone into some thought about HHGTG. It's a really funny thing but I'm always reminded of my game when someone refers to Legend of Leitor's Edge.

Best of luck with this. I know you'll finish this. Seriously I know how hard it can get. Re-writting and re-adjusting and in the meantime see people work on their projects so naturally so fluently, while you (meaning me) are stuck with a scene that has gotten so many re-writes and is about to be written again.

EDIT2: Lol, I just noticed your edit!
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Kweepa

Wow, this has atmosphere written all over it.
Great stuff. I want more!

I got all 8 fun facts, but no achievement. :'(

Spoiler

Mailbox, trash can, sky, neighbour's mailbox, pines, top left window, city, Seth.
[close]
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Snake

Sorry, guys. There is no notification for when you find all 8. I thought of putting little red flags or some sort of marker for when you find each, but I didn't want to take away from the atmosphere any more than I had already done with all the little notes I through in during the intros.

I'm glad you are enjoying it, nonetheless :)

LRH

Snake, this is cruel.
I want to play this.  :'(

abstauber

Wow... it's like looking at a really dark Willy Beamish.

(and I bought that two times - floppy & CD version)

I hope that one day you'll make progress on this again.

Cyrus

Can we expect that you'll finish the game, or is it abandoned?

Rincewind

Quote from: Snake on Thu 04/03/2010 21:21:16
Nobody has ever seen this, including David Olgarsson... so enjoy!

Wait, what? Snake, you sneaky bastard! :P Downloading and playing this right away, then I'm getting right back to LE-planning, so that you won't release the finished game all of a sudden, without me knowing anything... ;)

Snake

Captain Ricco

Is the kid dead?

This looks amazing! Will you post the progress somewhere or youll only release it when its finished?

LRH

Quote from: Captain Ricco on Sat 06/03/2010 00:09:26
Is the kid dead?

If that's the twist I'm going to be really mad at you because I hadn't thought of that.  >:|

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Very moody music and intro sequence, Snake.  It's a shame you've not made more progress because this game could have cleaned up the ags awards in 2003-2004 ;D.

Ponch

So when can we expect the finished game?

Vel

How many years did you work on this 5 minute, unfinished sequence?

GarageGothic

Quote from: Vel on Fri 12/03/2010 15:08:10How many years did you work on this 5 minute, unfinished sequence?

How's that "Who Wants to Live Forever" prequel going, Vel? ;)

EDIT: Realized that I never actually got around to replying to this thread. Thanks for the release, Snake - I wish a few more abandoned or, as in this case, entirely reworked games would be made available. It's very inspiring to see work-in-progress, and I enjoyed hunting down the commentary hotspots. Heh, I remember those starry skies being discussed in the critics lounge. The cutscene artwork is wonderful, the style reminds me somewhat of Willy Beamish.
Leitor's Edge remains on my "games to look forward to" list, no matter how long it's gonna take. Keep up the good work!

Snake

@Proggy: Thanks. Someone said something to that effect years ago too.

@GG: ;)

@Ponch: It'll be finished whenever it gets finished. There is no release date in the near future, or far at that.

@Vel: This didn't take me years to work on, Velly, probably a couple of weeks fiddling around with it here and there. Drawing the actual background is what took the most time. As time went on, there was a year or so I didn't even think about this game, life took hold and all that happy horseshit. After that came the realization that the story needed to be tweaked a bit. Tweaking ended up being a complete rewrite, and another after that. The story was too depressing and dark and was falling way too far away from what I had originally wanted for this game. Rewriting and having to take out all kinds of shit I loved and grew SO accustomed to, because it didn't work with the new story, wasn't very fun for me. It dragged on and on.
Now David and I have a final story we love and are working on the finalization of the main characters and their backstories. We're taking it slow and steady this time, trying not to make the same mistakes. What I like the best is that the story is more adventurous and light-hearted than the old one. I'm much happier with it now than I ever was.

Sorry if this has dissapointed you, but this was only a gift for those that haven't forgotten about it and are still holding some sort of hope that they will see this game completed one day - the few that there are anyway. I think about you guys every time I think about this game and how much I wish I never announced it in the first place. It's collected so much hype over the years it's rediculous. I'm still puzzled at how well, and not to mention quickly, it got excepted when all I had to show for it back then was a screenshot (which wasn't even finished at the time) and a synopsis.
And because of this I'm afraid that all it's going to lead to is dissapointments, much like it already has. So we'll see.

Vel

Well, good luck with it. I am sure it will be well worth playing, if it does get finished one day. It's just that I'd expected more from that version, at least a finished intro.

EKM

I was around 19 years old when I found out about the Legend of Leitor's Edge and Evil Night back on Snake's old GeoCities site. From the screenshots alone, I wanted to play the games so badly back then. Now I'm 27 and I STILL want to play Snake's 'in developmental hell' games. It's something about the nostalgic graphics and environments. They take me back to a certain 80's feel.

If I don't die first, I eagerly anticipate the Legend of Leitor's Edge. And thanks for this one. Goodbye.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk