New Room

Started by Estaog, Thu 03/03/2005 19:56:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Estaog

Hey guys what do you think:

I tryed to get a new style, using tick lines for the outlines, and normal lines for detail. I was aiming for the "simple" look, and it turned out quite nice, in my opinion. C & c and edits are welcome.
Think about the kittens man!

http://members.aol.com/johnk0/godkills.jpg

DoorKnobHandle

ah... now thats something to start with! not bad, much better than ripping monkey island graphics, isn't it..?

I kinda like the thick outlines actually, it adds to your personal style.

Check how "deep" the cupboard goes to the left. Make it shorter.

Then add details, shading and of course something behind that window...

Also check the proportions of your door. It has to be higher and thinner in my opinion... But see for yourself...

Oh and you may consider making that tarpet a little smaller, since there are not many tarpets out there as big as the whole room...

Problem

Good so far. The left door of the cupboard looks bigger than the right door, just shorten it a bit.
The perspective seems to be a little off here and there, but that might be the style you were going for. It doesn't look bad this way. Some shading would be nice, but not too much.
The room looks a little empty, some furniture could be added.
Otherwise it's okay, just a matter of detail and shading.

big brother

Maybe try using colors that have lower saturation levels?
Mom's Robot Oil. Made with 10% more love than the next leading brand.
("Mom" and "love" are registered trademarks of Mom-Corp.)

Estaog

Edit:

It is supposed to be off perspective, its part of the style.

Ozwalled

It's fine, if sparse.

Of what it there, I agree that the door looks ill-proportionned. It looks odd in relation to both the height of the cabinet and the height of the walls. Make it taller, and it'd look better, IMO.

Also, the door might do well with a better handle/ knob.

Oh, and the right part of the carpet is only darker red halfway down in the boarder.

Krazy

That's looking MUCH better, nice to see you taking some time to make original graphics. Nice wacky style too, like DOTT.
My Stuffs:
Tumblr

Peter Thomas

Yeah, tanker, this is GOOD STUFF. And I mean that. I really love the slightly wacky perspective. It's really comical - like krazy said, a bit DOTT.

I guess it could use some furniture. Maybe a table or a vase or suchlike, but definitely keep this style. It suits you!
Peter: "Being faggy isn't bad!"
AGA: "Shush, FAG!"

Estaog

Privateer Puddin'

Quote from: big brother on Thu 03/03/2005 20:50:04
Maybe try using colors that have lower saturation levels?

DragonRose

This is just a suggestion, but the outlines are very jagged. If you smooth out the pixels a bit, or anti-alias them, I think this would look AWESOME. And I really like the lock on the door.
Sssshhhh!!! No sex please, we're British!!- Pumaman

Neil Dnuma

Here's a quick edit with slightly less saturated colors, a fixup of the cupboard and a longpig thrown in.

PS. The longpig was just because I was bored and didn't want to go back to work.

EDIT: Didn't see DragonRose's reply, but it might be good idea.

Khris

Quote from: Problem on Thu 03/03/2005 20:27:26
The left door of the cupboard looks bigger than the right door, just shorten it a bit.
Actually it looks thinner, as the left door should be effectively wider in 2d. (check Neil's edit)

You're aiming for wackyness, ok, but the bed is too far off perspective, especially the pillow.
What makes DOTT's backgrounds so great is that you can still sense the correct(!) perspective underneath the very wacky lines. Everything is deformed and twisted but the proportions still feel right.

Back to your pic: you should really get rid of the dark triangles in the ceiling's corners, no lightsource would ever produce these shadows.

Damien

Here is my suggestion to you regarding your future artwork:
1. Study this tutorials
  Mr. Collosal's tutorials
  Hobbes' background tutorial
  Minimi's tutorial
  Increator's tutorial
  BigBrother's tutorial
2. For more tut's check out the Tutorials thread.
3. Practice and make new art with what you've learned.
4. Post here when you're having troubles with something or don't know what to do next.

Creating your own artwork requres a lot of patience.

Jay

Quote from: Damien on Fri 04/03/2005 20:24:27
At first I wanted to do a paintover of your BG, but then I thought: Why should I spend more time on a paintover then you spent on the actual background? Did it take you more then 15 minutes? I doubt it.

That was pretty mean. Tanker's BG looks good, and I like the style.
Is that a lock on the door? Doesn't it need a doorknob too?
I agree with Neil's edit on the cupboard size.

MrColossal

Way to be a huge jerk Damien... How do you know how long this background took him to do? Man, that was one of the assiest things I've read in a long time...

Here is one of tanker's older backgrounds:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=19330.msg235627#msg235627

I think this one is a big improvement and looks much better and has some style to it. Sure wacky angles isn't the best style but the thick outline looks cute.

My suggestion to you tanker is move onto another background, don't spend too long on this one trying to prefect it, you'll get better as you work on different, more varied backgrounds and then you can see what you like in the newer backgrounds you do compared to the older ones. Good work so far.

Eric
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Ozwalled

Longpig aside (and oh, I do oh so love the longpig, Neil), I think that Eric's got some good advice there. This new style seems to be nice and palatable enough, so try to run with it. Try to make a bunch of backgrounds wth it. For, 5, 6, ten maybe. You'll really start to see the practice paying off as your ideas come out onto the screen.

Keep it up!

I do like the new lock, though. Still, I'm bothered by the lack of a doorknob or obvious door-openning handle. And if it's menat to be a prison room, you'd think the lock would be on the outside.  ;)

As far as the bed goes, it's a little stiff. It's an opprotunity in the picture to get some more flowing shapes and get out of the rigid lines of the wall, door and cabinet, so why not use it by having some sheets, blankets hanging off the edge of the bed or at least some wrinkles/ loose folds on the surface? And to further spruce things up, some curtains could be added to accent the window and get some additional organic shape into the picture.

(Ugh. My art teacher once said I should have been an interior decorator. Damn her.)

Khris

Yes Damien, you are being very mean, I think it took him at least 20 minutes.

Seriously, this is the critics lounge.
And there's hardly anything to c&c in this bg.

I feel the bg is screaming: paint over me! So my lazy creator doesn't have to do the hard work!

edit:
I prefer people to tear apart my posted artwork, it motivates me and makes me be like "Just you wait, I'll show you I can do better!".
Encouraging replys to posted crap always make me feel like people just wanna be friendly.

It's quite interesting that good stuff almost always gets nit-picky replys focusing on minor not-so-well-done details, while overall crap makes people go like "keep it up!"

MrColossal

I'm confused by you khrismuc, if there is hardly anything to crit what are all these posts doing in here along with a post by yourself offering crit?
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Khris

I wanted to point out that this background is obviously not finished, of course you can c&c a lot, but, as Andail put it in his Read-before-posting:

* Consider if you actually need criticism. Some people seem to jot down just anything, publish it here and expect a step-by-step tutorial on how to improve it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk