Release Something!

Started by Kinoko, Mon 06/06/2005 03:11:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Kinoko

I'm actually stealing this idea from the game maker forums. I thought it was a pretty crappy idea there, but I reckon it could be cool here (I guess because I have a lot more respect for what people are producing here).

Basically, the idea is "Release Something". A date is set, and on that date everyone (well, anyone who's interested) posts -something- related to their game. It could be some sprites, some screenshots, a demo, a little one-roomer game, some music... anything you want.  This could even inspire you to finish your full game by the date.

It doesn't matter if what you release isn't complete, or if you don't think it's good, you just release something. I think this could be a great way to motivate us to finish something, to get started on something or to play around with an idea. It's also fun to get a look at what other people are producing, and that alone may motivate us.

Would anyone be interested in this? Any thoughts?

Paper Carnival

is this AGS-only? If not, I'm interested :=

=The=Brat=

smart! im in!

oh yeh im not a moderator so it doesnt matter

Ponch

Sure, I'm in. I just released a batch of screenshots for my next game on my website but I could probably find something else to push out into the world.

If nothing else, it would inspire me to stay on track and make my release date.

Good idea. Count me in!

MrColossal

Release Something! was basically the idea behind the One Room One Week comp, get people who are just sitting around pretending to work on their huge 400 room game to actually do something that they can release, I'm glad it worked and so many people entered [though there are more of you out there!]

I think if this were to happen everyone who says they'll release something puts there name in, that way everyone will know that you're going to release something and if you don't do it no one will like you and call you names behind your back.

I'd release something... Hell, it's been a few years since I mentioned Time Out, I guess it's time...
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Disco

I have some stuff that will not yet make a comprehensible game, so I'm in for the "Release Something" event. Screenshots and perhaps an animation or two can be expected from me. Let's set a date! How about June 22, say......'round noonish (GMT)? Anybody? Have you're people call my people.
Eh, make it whenever you want..it wasn't my idea :P

scotch

Darkstalkey and I might Release Something... although three weeks probably won't be enough time to get it ready.
Hmm, AGA, want to Release the next part of our Something?

PsychicHeart

sure, i've got loads of screenshots just waiting for someone to see. plus i've got a demo... and some sprites... and some.... anyway, I'd love to, but I'm not sure when exactly it is. I know the date, but i can't work out the time. I live in Australia, i dunno if i'm backwards or forwards or whatever. Maybe if i actually listen to one of my geography lessons for once...  :=
Formerly known as Flukeblake, Flukezy etc.

Gregjazz

This is so exciting I might just release something right now.

In my pants.

Err... no? :P

Intoxicatedowl8

^bwahahaha.

This sounds like a great idea dude. I'm really excited and it would get me motivated to finish the tutorial. I will release a demo and sprites and screenshots.
I need a title for my game! Please PM me if you'd like to find out what it's about. :D

Andail

Great idea. Start a thread over at competitions, set a date and we'll be rolling.

Gord10

Yeah, nice idea :) I'm in.
Edit: I have an idea about this. What about if all the released materials were downloadable in a zip package? Like in One Room One Week. We send the materials to somebody, and s/he hosts all them in a zip file.
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

Kinoko

Done! I set the date for the 25th of June... if that's way too short, we can always have another one later, and the idea is just to release SOMETHING, even something small like a gif.

Redwall

You could make it a monthly thing.
aka Nur-ab-sal

"Fixed is not unbroken."

simulacra

Kinoko

Release Something! part 2.

I've had a few people ask, but I didn't want to make this too regular. Anyway, I'm thinking of starting the next Release Something soon with the deadline perhaps at the end of October.

Could I get some feedback on whether people think this is a good idea or not? It just feels like about the right time, to me. But what matters is how it feels... to YOU.

I reckon I could work hard and get my demo out by then.

Gilbert

I'll say go for it, it's nearly 3 months from the last try (which I think was a success, I'm not sure as I didn't participate and I'll never participate, but I think this surely helps pushing people toÃ,  put more efforts and time in game making), and I think it may be right become a quarterly activity, which I think is a reasonable duration. just don't make it too frequent and it'd be okay. :)

Just post in the competition forum when your're ready, and I'll lock and stick that post until the release date arrives.

Privateer Puddin'

Yep, nice to see another.. good to see stuff from games that haven't been updated for a while or don't yet have a GiP thread :D

Kinoko

Well, I'll probably start the thread later on then (got classes now)

GarageGothic

Oh yeah, just as I was ready to get working on the two Shadowplay tech demos again.

IM NOT TEH SPAM

I almost have a demo ready for a crappy small game I've been working on... all I gotta do now is fix up some bg's and I've got a game... or at least part of one.  This is really convenient for me  :)
APPARENTLY IM ON A "TROLLING SPREE"

Paper Carnival

I've barely done anything new for my project since the last Relase Something event. I gave up on it, so I guess I won't take part in this one :-\

PsychicHeart

Superstar Games will be there will be there, no worries. We have been doing mostly short arcade games for a while (ooh, that reminds me, i gotta post one of em' soon), but we have also been working on two other titles. Amatuer Valet, and Nuclear Army. There'll be some screenshots, a trailer and a promo vid.
Cheers,
Fb.
Formerly known as Flukeblake, Flukezy etc.

Ubel

Mozesh and I are working on a new game and will probably post a tech demo and some graphics of it to the competition. So we're in!

Sam.

yupp, team hasselhoff are up fopr a release something day. We would release some graphics or a tech demo or something.
Bye bye thankyou I love you.

Snake

Good idea for motivation :=

Which reminds my stupid ass about something...

--Snake
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

Pet Terry

If this means we get to see more stuff regarding The Legend of Leitor's Edge, I have only one thing to say.

Go for it! Now!

EDIT: Uh, of course I'll do my best to get my own stuff done, too. Honest.
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Kinoko

Okay, the thread is up in the Competitions forum,  I hope Gil locks it sometime soon (don't go posting there!).

The date is October 30th. Hopefully I'll have my demo ready by then.

Gilbert

scotch

Over a month? Quite a long time... I'll take part, though.  Please, if people are going to post something could you wait until the deadline this time? It will be a lot more fun that way.

Gilbert

Well that thread had been locked, may be this thread should be locked and abandoned so people won't spoil their fun posting stuff here.

Snake

Petteri: Glad to hear you're still interested - you were into this game as soon as I posted just the idea for it :) There wouldn't be much to show. I'm still kinda half-assed struggling with the story. I'm thinking about changing it some. I gotta get back in contact with Rincewind and start on this again. It's been forever.

On another note: I'm still waiting on Byzantine, Revenants and Run Hot. I'd love to see some new shit from those games.

Not that what I think matters any, or anyone's even reading this ;) They see Snake has responded to a thread and mysteriously it floats off the bottom of the screen...

--Snake

Squinky

Wow, I wouldn't know what to do if you finished a game man.....It will blow my fecking mind...

Edit--All jokes aside, good to see you around again. I had started to think that "sanchez" (was that the name?)had taken care of you...

Snake

Squinky! I miss you man! I was reading a few threads a couple days ago and came across some of your replies. You're humor still slap's the cat's ass!! We need to work on Monkey Wrench too ;)

BTW, Don't be suprised if I'm dead after Friday...

*cue the Halloween theme song*

--Snake

Kinoko

Hey yeah, how did all that stuff with the guy and his wife go?

Squinky

Hoodily har! I too have missed you around man, especially all your weird-ass sayings like "Slaps the cats ass"...

About the Monkey Wrench thing, I have come under a curse of non-productivity that would rival even yours. Blame it on Online Roleplaying Games....

Sam.

monkey wrench as in the books by PJ tracy? or completely different..?
Bye bye thankyou I love you.

veryweirdguy

Monkey Wrench was the most awesome game that was ever due to exist. Or close to that. An amazing looking project it was. Do a search on the forums for it - the GiP thread may still exist.

EDIT: damn, a quick search indicates it's lost. Any chance of an update/repost of those old screenies, Snake/Squink?

Squinky

See. The game is so old, the forum ate it man. I don't have any pics on my HD or anything to throwout really. It did involve Snake's cool-ass art, a monkey-boy named Hirum that I always wanted to call Hirium and wacky hijinks.....

Snake

I do agree that it was a coo-ass game... I don't like to brag, but, I loved writing ideas for it with Squinky. We NEED to work on that, Squinky!

I may post the old screenshot of Allie's bedroom again and the sypnosis in time.

I gotta get back with Rincewind about Leitor's Edge though, gotta get that going again. A lot of people seemed to like that.

Thank you, verywierdguy for you comment on MW :) I appreciate it :D

--Snake

Ponch

I'm in. I've been busy as hell since I went back to school, but I'm sure I could release a tech demo or something. Maybe something that shows off the arcade driving code or something.

- Ponch

Ishmael

Oh yes, if I get some GUI graphics gone there will be a techy demo of some lame excuse's relative showing up for this.

And Snake, the link in your sig is le b0rked, fix it please :=

scotch

I'll show something of my current project, perhaps a tech demo, or some screens, I don't know yet.

Adamski

QuoteOn another note: I'm still waiting on Byzantine, Revenants and Run Hot. I'd love to see some new shit from those games

Byzantine will surface next year.

Snake

Ish: The thread must have floated off the forum... when I get some progress done (according to the forum rules) I'll make a new thread. For now I'll just redo my sig. Thanks for letting me know :)

wOOt for Byzantine!

--Snake

Ishmael

Snake

Yeah, that's it ;)
I read the promo again and some things have changed a bit since then - I really need to update it. I never noticed all the spelling mistakes and gramatical errors in it before either.
Ah well, for now I'll lock it and update it when I get something worthwhile accomplished. Anyone seen Rincewind around?

--Snake

Squinky

I never realized I had been edited before, heh. (You left my edited quote unedited in one of your following replies...if that makes any sense)

What I love is, like in 2003, you said it would take 3 years....getting pretty close man...

Snake

Haha - VERY close indeed. If it's not released by 2008, I'm giving up all together with everything ;)

--Snake

Nine Toes

Heh.  Maybe you and I can quit together. We'll do a "buddy system" type of thing.
Watch, I just killed this topic...

esper

Hey, I have an idea for "release something" day...

Why don't we put together teams to make production quicker and better? We can have people say "I'll make GUIs for people who are going to release a game on Release Something day," or "I'm taking requests for backgrounds," or "I'll throw out some tunes for anyonew who wants them," all specifically for Release Something day. I know I'm going to try to release a whole game (see my sig) for it, and it would be a great help for me. If we did that, then maybe people who are just going to release screenies or demos or something will have a full game to present at the end of the month...

Just a suggestion ;)

PS I'm not that great at art or music, but I'll proofread (I r gradurated from collidge)and playtest any game, as well as help with anything else anyone might want.
This Space Left Blank Intentionally.

Kinoko

Just a reminder people. Deadline's creeping up!

(Holy shit, I'm behind)

Snake

Deadline? Reminds me of the good-old school days. Kinda forgot.
Shit... guess you won't see anything from me. I did have something in mind though, but screw it - all my games are pipe dreams anyway.

Good Luck to everybody else, btw :D

--edit--
Mr. Hyde! *buddy system engaged*

--Snake

Kinoko

That's a shame, Snake :/ But you know, screw the deadline. Just set your own and use that to motivate yourself.

Okay people, one more week! The 30th is creeping up! I'm devoting almost all my time after work this week to finishing what I can for the demo.

Pet Terry

Oh yeah.

I was supposed to have somethingsomething scripted by the end of this month so I could pass it along to dialog writers and stuff, but then I found myself knee-deep in requests for music. And because I have a job, I can't work on game stuff all day long! And there are some games I'm supposed to play! But I'll try my bestest!
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

edmundito

I'll release something! So.. deadline is the 30th or the 31st?
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

IM NOT TEH SPAM

the 30th-- rules and such are stickied in the top of the competitions and activities.

Barbarian

I have an old project I had started on, that's been lying around for a while on my hard-drive collecting dust, that I've decided to dust-off and am now working on it a bit and will try to submit for this "Release Something" thingy.  I think the setting of my little game might fit in nicely with the whole Halloween timing too (though I don't celebrate Halloween either  :P ).
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

Squinky

I was planning on releasing something too, and am so close, just need some more inspiration and time....

Ubel

Planning is a funny word. Yes we are planning on releasing something with Mozesh. I just have to stop being lazy so that we can get it done for the deadline. :=

Bernie

I've made a little thingy for Release Something, and this time it even has something to do with adventure games!

Who else has something to show? :=

IM NOT TEH SPAM

I do, updating all the artwork on my game so I have an excuse to release it...

Gord10

I'm going to join, too. It's impossible for me to finish Lost In The Nightmare till 30th of October, so guess I'll release something like trailer again.
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

Bernie

Funtastic, Gord10 and King_Nipper! The more releases, the merrier! Go, us! :)

Privateer Puddin'

Yep, everything is being polished now :)

Barbarian

Well, as mentioned in my previous post in this thread, I've been working on "something"Ã,  ;)Ã,  Ã,  It's the beginnings of an old adventure game I had sitting around.
I've been working on it a bit the last couple of weeks to make it a bit playable through the first few areas & puzzles.Ã, 

I didn't have time to make a really good (or new) main-character sprite (so I used some old character sprites I had around from some of my other projects for now), nor did I do too much with the GUI's, but still I think it still looks fairly good and that hopefully people will enjoy it.Ã,  It will have a bit of a "creepy / scary" setting to it, with a few surprises and nice "special effects" I was working on for it, which should fit in nicely with the Halloween release date.Ã,  Ã, More details when the deadline arrives.Ã,  ;D
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

Theme

Afflict

This is a great idea and i would love to release something... its just Sorry have nothing, except scripts, scripts and oh some concept art...

I have realised that no matter how much I would love to realease my games (one of them are actually scripted up to 7 expansions) It will probably never come to mind cause I am a slightly very judgemental about my art work... and if its nor perfect its not happening. Sad I know but true. I also need music and music will be the end of me as I know that I dont have any, but intend on making some (which I have but just a little)

Last but not least I cannot focus on a single project at one time... I need to expand my creativity over many projects and thats how it is. So more than likely you will never ever get anything from me...

Kinoko

Well, I was thinking about this again. Seemed to me the previous one had been a decent while ago. I checked and indeed it had, since the last one was the end of October.

Most people seem happy to have these every 3 or 4 months. I think 3 would be too short notice for people right now, since that would be the end of this month which isn't too far off at all. Instead, I thought perhaps we could set the next Release Something for mid-February. Seeing as the last one was roughly Halloween, how about we make this one around Valentine's Day? (just for the heck of it, these aren't themed so don't worry).

So, Release Something #3 set for February 14th? Think that's a fair amount of time to get your crap together? ^_^ (Of course, given the time differences around the world, and the fact that this isn't about strict rules, but motivation, that means you don't need to panic if you're gonna be out with your honeys all day and night... anytime around the 14th/15th will be fine)

Gilbert

Seconded.

I think if all the details are settled, you may start a new post about it, so we can lock and stickie it until the day arrives.

Kinoko

Done! ^_^ Feel free to lock away.

Gilbert

Kinoko

Call me paranoid but I wanted to give everyone another chance to see this thread. Was just thinking that I have to get my own crap together to get my Something Released by Friday 14th, and it occured to me how horrific it would be if noone else knew about the deadline.

So, please read this thread. Oh wait, you have! Awesome :D

Kinoko

Sorry for bumping this.

Just a reminder! 3 days to go! I sure hope people are working on things to release :/ Otherwise it'll be just me! I'm giving up my whole weekend to try and get my demo ready (as if I'd wanna do anything else right now but sit inside at the laptop all day listening to music).

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Hmmm.... I do believe I'll RELEASE SOMETHING this time around. :D
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

rharpe

I've also entered these into competitions, but I figured I would enter them here to entice more submissions:

Time Travel Comic Competition

Simon Belmont in the late 80's and Simon Belmont now... retired.

Winona Ryder as Alice... (She just seems to be the best for that part, if it were to be a real movie.)

Eric needed a single-eyed creature for his start-up company... I don't think he will pick this one. :)
"Hail to the king, baby!"

jetxl

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=25051.0

I wanted to release a demo as well, but I think it's better to have a propper demo released later than a rushed, half working one.

Mordalles

i'll also release something. the 1st 100% finished background of my new game.  ;D

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

Kinoko

rharpe: Uh, tha'ts great but please read what the post is about first ^_^ RS starts in a few days and is held in the comp forum.

But it's not a competition by any means so anything is welcome!

Thanks anyone who's gonna bring something out!

rharpe

Quote from: Kinoko
rharpe: Uh, tha'ts great but please read what the post is about first ^_^ RS starts in a few days and is held in the comp forum.
Sorry, like you said, I caught the tail-end of this thread. I wanted to post some images to get people more active in this thread... sorry, I thought release something, meant anything... game or no game? Oops!  :-\
"Hail to the king, baby!"

Alun

Hm, well, I did release something for the first Release Something day back in June (and then I disappeared for a while and wasn't around for the second one in October), but while I wish I had more to show about that game by now...alas, I don't, really.  I've had very little time to work on it since then, and most of the work I have done on it has been story and puzzle design, which, er, obviously aren't things I really want to release just yet.  ;)

Still, I should be able to whip up something by Tuesday.  So count me in, though my release isn't likely to be terribly expansive...

Soup - The Comic Strip
http://www.soupcomic.com
Gods, heroes, monsters, and soup

Kinoko

rharpe: It DOES mean to release anything at all, but like... at the official time in the official place :P You know, not trying to constrict you all with my rules or anything, but otherwise it defeats the point of having a deadline.

But I'm happy you're motivated! Check out the sticky thread in the comp forum for more details, people!

Kinoko

Time for another one? Well, I guess I decided that myself because I've already posted about it in the Comp forum.

The next date is November 25th. The previous ones have been great so I just want to thank everyone for participating, though of course... this is about YOU, not us. I just hope this has been helpful to people.

Gil: Could you sticky/lock the post in the C&A forum? Thanks ^_^

sanou

I want to join! \(^_^)/

Gilbert

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk