No-Action Jackson

Started by cerebrit, Fri 07/05/2004 05:24:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Azure

Wonderful stuff! I'm already stuck by brain hurts, and I'm sure I'm missing something obvious. Ahhh nostalga!
www.voiceacting.space - Casting Calls for voice actors

EKM

This game really is awesome haha....
man...it's been a while since I've played something as fun, witty and cool as that.
Some of the reactions of the characters in that game are real funny, gramps is hysterical.

I like how you made it so that we never get to see Thurston.

Nice plot too...the whole, trying to get Anderson and Morry to the War Room is nice and he's telling this story of how he got there and how he brought them there too, nice work.

kristofski

I found a bug, don't know if it's already been spotted. I've already given brotehr the brownies and got the hearing aid, but when I talk to him the conversation is like it never happened.
wow, a blue car!

www.bluecanary.deviantart.com

Yvonne

Brilliant game!
Puzzles, story, characters, sense of humour, graphics - everything is really awesome!
Congratulations!

Esseb

The game is quite excellent Cerebrit. I haven't come very far yet but what I've played has been of a very professional quality.

I took the liberty to announce it over at Adventure Gamers. Hope you don't mind.

The exact thread is here:
http://forums.adventuregamers.com/showthread.php?p=59494

Joe999

Any chance of putting together something for the Linux users?

Scid

The people from slashdot are reading this thread. I think the forum may die soon :(

Check it out at the games section back at www.slashdot.org
Those who can, do, and those who can't brag about how they do it at least fifty times a day somewhere on the internet.

scotch

It's only on the games section, I'm sure we can handle it.
I'm off to play the game now.  Hi /. readers, yes it can run on linux :P

Barbarian

Quote from: Joe999 on Tue 08/06/2004 06:54:27
Any chance of putting together something for the Linux users?

Hi Joe. From what I understand you can run AGS games on Linux.

Here's a text-quote and link from the AGS downloads page (under other downloads):

"Linux port of the AGS game engine. This allows you to run all AGS games created with v2.5 and later.
Maintained by Shawn Walker. "  http://drevil.warpcore.org/ags/
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

Gilbert

Quote from: Barbarian on Tue 08/06/2004 09:05:33
Well, not if the game used plugins, I don't know whether this game used plugins or not though.

Joe999

Quote from: Barbarian on Tue 08/06/2004 09:05:33

Here's a text-quote and link from the AGS downloads page (under other downloads):

"Linux port of the AGS game engine. This allows you to run all AGS games created with v2.5 and later.
Maintained by Shawn Walker. "Ã,  http://drevil.warpcore.org/ags/

Thanks for the link, if nothing else I feel like I'm at least making some progress in getting there. I'm on a QUEST! I'm on a debian unstable install, and surprisingly it seems that its version of allegro is a little behind the times. I took the lazy route and used alien to convert the redhat rpm to a deb, and it seems to have installed fine. After that the AGS configuration utility ran like a charm, and the actual AGS binary seems to run fine as well. But then I'm getting "Main game file not found. This may be from a different AGS version, or the file may have got corrupted.". Anyone have an idea if I should be renaming no-action's current.exe? On the off chance that being in a case sensitive enviroment was the problem I tried renaming it to Current.exe with no luck, and while I was at it I tried without the extension as well. No luck with either though. Then while trying crazy renamings I took a chance with current.dat, no luck there either. I wish the error messages were a bit more verbose in their complaints.

The windows binary almost ran with wine, but the mouse was nearly unusable. The taste from the intro was enough to fuel me on though. I'm going to set the cvs version of winex compiling while I'm at school to see if it might work a bit better than the vanilla wine.

three27

Would anybody happen to have a mirror?

cerebrit

I have a mirror available now at http://www.talesofinterest.com/no-action/

Would a DOS executable work better on Linux?  :-[

Cerebrit

AGA

The reason the old link has gone down is because it was linked in the games section of Slashdot.

Joe999

Quote from: cerebrit on Tue 08/06/2004 20:33:41

Good question. :)  I was hoping at least some people from the thread over at
http://games.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=110353&cid=9363112
might have followed me over here. I feel bad placing myself as the linux guy when this is my first experience with ags. :)

Someone mentioned a raw dat file, but I don't know if there might be some issues with releasing something like that. Or even if it'd help for that matter. A dos executable might very well do the trick. One of the posters on the slashdot thread seemd to think there should be no problems with the linux ags reading from a non linux game executable - so that might in fact do the trick if there was something about the windows executable the linux ags was choking on. At the least though, it'd open up one more possibility - dos emulation in linux. While of course native is always better than trying emulation, I suspect ags might not be overly processor intensive to the point where it could possibly run smoothly through emulation, or at least with a little frameskipping in dosbox.

Joe999

Quote from: cerebrit on Tue 08/06/2004 20:33:41

Minor update, I found the problem with the linux client. The problem would seem to be that I'm an idiot :) There wasn't any documentation with the linux client, which I thougth was odd.  But the reason for that would appear to be that there's a FAQ on the page which I somehow failed to notice multiple times. All one has to do is rename the game "ac2game.dat" and it seems to run fine in the linux client.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice, and of course for the game and engine itself!

Barbarian

Good to know you got this sorted out, Joe.
How's the AGS games working for you so far in Linux?

Enjoy.  :)

Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

Grundislav

Just curious, you ever considered making a talkie version? If so, Evenwolf and I would be ideal candidates to do all the voices. Trust me on this one.

evenwolf

"I drink a thousand shipwrecks.'"

Mats Berglinn

The game is great! One of the best ever made of AGS!

I agree with Grundislav on the talkie version, I bet it would rock even more.

By the way I got this error when I tried to take the clothes in the laundry room: Room 4 script line 102 Error: RealeaseCahracterVeiw: invalid character supplied.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk