Ben Jordan Case 3

Started by Grundislav, Sun 03/10/2004 07:41:24

Previous topic - Next topic

netdroid9

Nice game  ;D

I've finished both the paths, and have one thing to ask... Can you post a mirror to the first one?

BTW in the next one, why not make a running feature, that would be nice. And a mobile phone, so you can ring people up when you need to speak with them. (Just have it engaged or 'no service avaliable' when you don't wan't people to ring)

Grundislav

Quote from: netdroid9 on Thu 28/10/2004 04:16:18
And a mobile phone, so you can ring people up when you need to speak with them. (Just have it engaged or 'no service avaliable' when you don't wan't people to ring)

Have you been reading my design documents?  ;)

ggp

Thanks AGA, but im still stuck on the other ending
Spoiler
im In the dark room and have attached the rope to hook. I pull it and it says floorboard is loose, but if i pull it again and again nothing happens. What do i do ?!
[close]

Grundislav

ggp:
Spoiler
You have to pull the rope at the right moment, ie when the person pacing above you steps on the squeaky board.
[close]

Tonik

I finished the BJ trilogy, and thought I should give the author a feedback on the third one, if he bothers to read it, that is. POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD.

While BJ1 started awkwardly, the final puzzle was very good. BJ2 was a very solid gaming experience, better than the first one. And now the third one...

Instead of creative inventory combinations, the gameplay of BJ3 had very little inventory combination. Instead, you walk around, talk around, look around, and once you score a point, repeat to see what changed. In that aspect, BJ2 was more fun. However the best puzzle, including BJ1 and 2, was the one [SPOILER??] where you are locked up in that house [/SPOILER]. Also, the story was ok, and code, wether it is a voodoo code or witch code, is always fun.
Now, the alternative paths were cool. While the shorter path had the best BJ puzzle so far, the other one explained the story better. After finishing the shorter path I read about the other path in the forums, and was lucky enough to have a save at that point, so, I played the other path, and that longer path is much better.
In a nutshell: not better or worse than the secound one

You might consider for future BJ games:
* Problem in all 3 games; the exits. Sometimes not easy to see where to exit the screen.
* More inventory puzzles and less walking around aimlessly to see wether anything has changed.
* The notebook: In both BJ2 and BJ3 it starts out nice, but at some point early in game, BJ stops making notes ([SPOILER??]: last note in BJ2 was 'get moonshine to prosp...' and last note in BJ3 was about the things you needed for the spell[/spoil])
* Last but not least: It would be nice to get a response when you use a inventory item on something which doesnt work. Even a static 'That doesnt work' message is better than no response at all.

Thats about it, I think. Good job :)

Grundislav

Quote from: Tonik on Sat 27/11/2004 17:54:40
I finished the BJ trilogy, and thought I should give the author a feedback on the third one, if he bothers to read it, that is.

Of course, the feedback helps me loads when figuring out what to do in the next games.  Thanks for the suggestions, I'll definitely consider them for the future cases.

[Cameron]

If we can help influence the next one i have one thing to say.
A drug ring made up of clergymen headed my the pope
Reagrds,

Alec
---
BTW its kinda late and im not thinking properly, but i still think this is a great idea :D

jetxl

Quote from: Grundislav on Sun 28/11/2004 06:45:55
Of course, the feedback helps me loads when figuring out what to do in the next games.Ã,  Thanks for the suggestions, I'll definitely consider them for the future cases.

Will that be "Ben Jordan Case 4: Why is there a moose head in an English inn"?

dark witch

plot hole?
Spoiler
Why does the first witch code writing state that "mary will die innocently" if she is a witch and is not wanted dead yet?Ã,  Is BJ *intended* to translate it?

Incidently, I spent so much energy figuring that all out by hand and then we got that cheat-sheet under the floorboard, man...  best puzzle in the game until you realize it wasn't a puzzle ;p
[close]

Suggestion:
Spoiler
If we have to take somebody else's cherished possession with the promise of returning it, at least let the main character mention making an effort of trying to reacquire it.
[close]

brown

I don`t know what`s wrong....I have the witch code,and I
understand the meaning of the message on the tree...
but nothing happens. help please....... :-\ ???

Grundislav

Do you mean the first appearance of the code? If so, don't worry about it, just keep looking around for something else you may need.

Spoiler
like a diary
[close]

If you mean the code on the tree in the "good" path, then
Spoiler
go talk to Percy about it
[close]

brown

thank you.....but I have the diary,I don`t know how to use it. ???

Grundislav

Spoiler
Read the diary, then go talk to Mary in the jail about it.
[close]

brown

I really don`t know what`s wrong....I talk to mary about the diary but still I have problem :-\

Grundislav

Did you try looking for the constable?

Spoiler
Did you find him talking to the robed figure in the woods?
[close]

Once that happens, go back and talk to Mary again, and you should be fine.

brown

thank you very much.... :) :D

MillsJROSS

Wonderfully fun game! I thought the graphics were consistent. The dialog keeps getting better and better. I like how you've kind of made a bridge to future Ben Jordans. And leave us with a lingering question. The music was superb and matched the backgrounds and the mood in the game very well. There really isn't too much to complain about...but I'll try my hardest.

Spoiler
I found that clicking the sherrif when he was dead, didn't correlate to where he actually was. I clicked around him, figuring I'd get something from him, and gave up and wandered about. Only to become frustrated after going through all rooms several times, and finding out on the forums that I could touch the sherrif.  Really that's the only complaint I had.
[close]

I think the non-inventory based puzzles worked very well in the game, mainly because of lack of many hotspots. The few that were there were enough to fill the game out with the important details, and a few non-important ones. So, in this case, I think the bareness of the hotspots worked well, even though I usually advocate for tons of hotspots.

Also loved the Indiana Jones line you threw in there "That was my fathers name." That got me laughing a bit. It was a very fun game!
-MillsJROSS

[Cameron]

Hey Grundy,
I just replayed BJ3 to get the good ending. I have to say i'm eagerly awaiting the next one. I cant wait to find out the answer to that last unanswered question. Awesome stuff.
Regards,

Alec

proximity

i downloaded BJ3 a week ago but both Winzip and Winrar giving an error: The file is corrupt or missing. What's wrong ?
Proximity Entertainment

sergiocornaga

You downloaded it incorrectly, maybe? Did you extract it to a folder? Try downloading it again if you've already tried that.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk