Emily Enough: Imprisoned (Version 1.2 w/ Bug Fixes)

Started by Anarcho, Wed 17/08/2005 18:37:41

Previous topic - Next topic

ors

Cool graphics style and great game.  In enjoyed the humor.
I appreciate the work you put into it.

Thanks

esper

Hey, I so appreciated this game... I love Emily's view of "I hate people... I hope I never become one..." My favorite line had to be when you try to touch her, and I love her abrupt conversation conclusions. This was a remarkable game, and you should totally sell it and get your year's worth of work out of it. I would buy it just to support your efforts.
   There was one error I percieved... I gave Erwin the drugs, then gave him the money. When I (FINALLY) found that damn crack in the window and got the sandwiches ordered, Erwin could care less... I had to go back to my save and do it in the order drugs>sandwiches>money to continue on with the game.
@ Snarky: Ed Gein's crimes were responsible for movies and books from Texas Chainsaw Massacre to Silence of the Lambs... I thought along the lines of SOTL long before I ever thought of Ed Gein, especially since he was wearing a Hannibal Lechter mask.
This Space Left Blank Intentionally.

Snarky

Quote from: esper on Sat 27/08/2005 13:54:46
@ Snarky: Ed Gein's crimes were responsible for movies and books from Texas Chainsaw Massacre to Silence of the Lambs... I thought along the lines of SOTL long before I ever thought of Ed Gein, especially since he was wearing a Hannibal Lechter mask.
Yes, I'm fully aware of that. However, in those stories, the crimes were heavily fictionalized. Really, only the odd picturesque detail was borrowed from the actual events. In this game, on the other hand, Steve's story appears to be an almost completely accurate summary of the crimes of Ed Gein. That, for whatever reason, made it more distasteful for me.

ildu

Are you sure it's the accuracy that's bothering you, or the fact that it's being turned into a comedic light?

InCreator

Holy--!

I kind of disliked what I saw on screenies and all these bits of game that have been around the boards during development... I mean, the style.
But having finally played through this (and finished the game), the heavily desaturated art and nightmarey atmosphere/characters really fit in there and add alot to the story, so my opinon totally changed. Plus, it's an awesome game, with some neat puzzles and about right amount of difficulty.

Weird and not-appealing-to-everyone humor is the thing I liked the most. AGS relations too (arcade machine, look at blue cup, hehe-).

Good job, Anarcho. Despite some nasty bugs and somewhat rushed ending, It's a great game and definetly worth to try.

MissyChelle

I really liked that game - eventhough it was a bit creepy and I kept the lights on in my house - I still liked it, lol.  :)
~*MissyChelle*~

PyroMonkey

I liked it a lot. It's excellent.

It's not as much "scary" as "dark" to me, but that's just my opinion.

Athirwen

Hello! Great game so far, very dark and creepy but I like it.

I'm a little stuck though (posted on the hints and tips forum, would be grateful if someone could help me!)

The humour appeals to me a lot!

Anarcho

I'm really happy to hear so many people like the game.  Keep the comments coming, I find them very helpful (both for future game designs and for self-esteem issues). 

InCreator: I'm glad you didn't let the first impressions get the best of you.  As for those nasty bugs and quick ending---I'm going to sit down tonight and fix the bugs and hopefully make some changes that will extend the end of the game.  I should have done this last week, but I needed a little time to detox after the mad rush to get it out there.

esper: My girlfriend actually told me that I should sell Emily Enough, but I didn't do it for two reasons: 1) As "professional"  as EE might seem to some, it's really lacking compared to most commercial products.  If I were to sell a game, I'd want to be damn sure that it didn't have bugs, and could rival some commercial adventure games.  I don't think EE can.  2) I don't want the responsibility that comes with a commercial game.  I just wanted to release the game and be done with it.  I don't want to have to make constant updates, pay for a server/website to host it, do all the formal things you need to do when owning a "business" etc. 

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the encouragement and I might release future games as "commercial" products, but right now I just want the most number of people to play this without worrying about money.

Snarky: I'm sorry about the whole Ed Gein thing, yes of course Pete is based off him.  Perhaps I should have altered his back story a bit, but it just didn't seem like a big deal at the time.  As for it being funny...well, who said it's supposed to be funny?  Only a sicko would find that all funny...you sicko.   ;)

Snarky

He he. It wasn't a big deal. I just thought I'd offer it as constructive criticism. Good luck with your next game! Already looking forward to it.

Mordalles

still playing, but enjoying. great game. i love the graphics a lot. especially the characters.

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

sunshinegold

Completed the game.  Really enjoyed it.  Hope you have a sequel soon or another good game.

Anarcho

Sequel?  Naaaa.  I have thoughts for a prequel, staring Jorge and Brunhilda, the hired servants seen in the initial scene of the game (for whatever reason they live together as roomates, but neither speak the same language.)  But the chances are slim to nil that I'll ever make that. 

I do have a game design in the works for something entirely different...

That Guy

Quote from: Anarcho on Mon 29/08/2005 18:46:13esper: My girlfriend actually told me that I should sell Emily Enough, but I didn't do it for two reasons: 1) As "professional"Ã,  as EE might seem to some, it's really lacking compared to most commercial products.Ã, 

Don't sell yourself short, my friend.  About the only thing, in my opinion, that would keep Emily from being commercial quality is the length.  The entire game would probably have been the opening chapter of a much larger title.  Otherwise, it's right up there with Day of the Tentacle as far as fully-realized characters and unique art style goes.  Can't comment on the bugs, didn't find any other than a minor glitch with the save screen.

This is coming from a guy who developed an adventure game for the mobile market last year, btw.  ;)

Anarcho

Thanks for the support That Guy.

Hey everyone, I got my first review.  Check it out here: http://www.adventure-eu.com/index.php?option=com_contentask=view&id=100&Itemid=29

Thank you Adventure Europe!

Lordhoban

Quote from: Anarcho on Sat 03/09/2005 23:19:37
Thanks for the support That Guy.

Hey everyone, I got my first review.  Check it out here: http://www.adventure-eu.com/index.php?option=com_contentask=view&id=100&Itemid=29

Thank you Adventure Europe!
See, your game is all that and a bag of potato chips... right?  ;)

When will someone make a hint file and/or a walkthrough for it, maybe on that website, UHS? Or somewhere... I've kind of put the game down for the meantime until that, as I really don't like having to ask for help every time.

gummicommander

I really like Emily... I haven't gotten very far in the game (at all) but she has an unique personality, the graphics are nice, and you probably could sell it as a professional game if you wanted.

I only have one gripe-- why, oh why, would you pick a black background and near-black green text? It took me about a half hour to figure out how to start the game, and this was after giving up once already! As well, I am usually an extremely fast reader, but I ended up missing out on some of the intro text because it was so difficult to read.

compare:

to

Please take pity on those with bad eyesight :'(

Anarcho

Sorry about that, the only thing I can say is that on my monitor, the text is perfectly readable.  Perhaps a little dark, but not bad. 

Lordhoban

I don't remember having any trouble reading the text. Gummi, maybe your monitor is a little dark? Try brightening the settings?

Though I do agree the white stands out a lot better in those two pics.

gummicommander

Brightness-- 100%. Contrast-- 100%. Maybe my monitor just sucks, though.
I just finished the game... very good ^_^
Spoiler
Although I don't understand what the blanket, pillow, pamphlet and suicide note were for...
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk