Ongoing Comic

Started by esper, Fri 09/09/2005 07:32:18

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDeadd

I completed the comic:
You know what they say... no... wait... you don't. What a shame.

Tuomas

There, you happy now? I'll leave something to the next one to use his/her's intuition, as that is the meaning of this as far as I know...

Post edited, sorry, but the rules are a bit tough... Hey, I just did that to show what one should not do... well, this new one ought to do it for now

JudgeDeadd

You know what they say... no... wait... you don't. What a shame.

Gilbert

I'd just done some clean up in this thread, no matter what, this is not a kindergarten.
It's not 640x480.
Also, it's missing the frame number.

Haddas

Frame 7

Czar

Are there spaces ready and free?
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you

Bluke4x4

Phemar

Frame 8

;D

Krysis

I'm next. :)

EDIT: Never mind... Its too hard to draw a comic page.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

I don't want to be a spoilsport, but this is falling prey to one of the things that often happens with these - when it started out each panel actually had content. Don't get me wrong, but these last few panels have been a bit "what he said and this small little bit of small extra thingie and a big l337 suspensefull finale".

No offense, Zor, or Haddas, or the guys just before you, it's just that I was enjoying it when I started reading and now it's falling out a bit.

Yeah, I know this is a community effort and these things are likely to happen, I'd just like to point out that I'd like someone to advance the story again. :)
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

esper

Hmmm. I started this thing, and I never even put up a frame...

Here's a better idea. I like Krysis' art. I see he posted a bit that he would like to be a part of it, but it is "too hard to do a comics page." I also very highly esteem Krysis for his work and for the big part he plays in this community.

I started this thread as a complete newbie, just to let people know that I was here and wanted to be a part of the community. However, Kry, would you take it off my hands?

The original idea was that there be one frame comics, 640 x 480, that told the story the way one-frame comics usually do, unless there was some action, in which case the "manga" style of having a couple frames of animation in one single frame of comic would come into play. That would probably work alot better. I eventually renigged and said "just go ahead and make about half a page of a comic" because it seemed no one was interested in that.

So, if someone wants to revamp this... I've been looking at it for a while trying to figure out what to do with it, but to tell you the truth, I don't even know what the hell happened after this went to second page, so... Maybe we could start again, new rules, a new idea... This is, IMHO, a really good idea. It just needs to be done right.
This Space Left Blank Intentionally.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Oh, well, I wouldn't say "start from scratch" either, that wouldn't be good. If we do that, we risk keeping doing that every time we think it's not going all that well - and in a community effort, that gets us all nowehere.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Phemar

Hey sorry for my entry, guys! I just though that was what we're supposed to do ...

esper

Don't worry about it. Technically, it kind of was what we were supposed to be doing... It's just that the comic has gone in such a direction now that it is completely unrecognizable or unintelligible. You actually did a good job of continuing it, using the same style and format of your direct predecessor, like most people should have done. It's just there wasn't any noticible (or cogent) story going on at the time you got to it.

And Rui, I totally agree with you, even though you no longer are a furry...  :)

However, if you look at all the other comps, entries that do not match the desired, preset qualifications are disqualified. Since this activity has kind of gotten out of hand, it might be best if it were restarted and then just monitored a bit more tightly.

Or, we could do it this way, effectively turning this from a simple "Activity" to a competition...

One person makes a competition starting entry. Then, everyone makes the next page / frame / nostril / whatnot... and they are voted on. The winner's strip is inserted and the competition begins the following period (be it a week or a month) for the coveted spot of "next page."

This could weed out the MSPaint entries from the people who are trying to contribute, and make for a better read (as nonsensical strips would not be eligible for the win).

So thus, although you are totally right, I still think we should backburner this one, having used it as a way to see where this thing should go (or should have gone) and establish some new rules to make it cleaner and more... ummmm... comical.

Phemar

TheYak

It's difficult enough to write a story, let alone communicate your ideas in comic format.  After Eggie's tough-to-follow, excellent entry, I had a pre-conception about the direction of the storyline.  Intervening entries modified that somewhat. 

Without the ability to work on it ahead of time or even figure out what you'll be drawing, the entire thing's on hold while waiting for somebody to submit.  The competition for next page is a worthy idea, but would slow the already sluggish activity to a grinding halt, even if it meant ensuring all entries are aesthetic and make logical sense. 

I submit that a "Director" takes the reins, writing up a short story with X number of scenes.  As people volunteer, that director PM's them the scene number they'll be doing (descriptive narrative becomes pictures, dialog in comic bubbles).  Each scene should be no more than a paragraph with fairly simplistic summary.  Panels are only posted sequentially as available.  Readers get the writers story, illustrators show off artwork & style, director gets to see their vision realized (or massacred). 

My idea might be too restrictive.  Without any creative lee-way, activities are stale; with absolute creative license, however, it's chaotic.  [if activity continues as is, feel free to wipe out my lengthy post]

If it stays nearly the same or the existing images stick around with transfer to new rules, it'd certainly help if someone could summarize "our story thus far . . . "  I was starting to, but to be frank, there's a couple panels that completely lose me.

esper

Zor: Yes, I know it's similar, but the way this would go, every [insert set period of time here] would bring about the continuation of a story... Rather than having one week be "pirates" and the next week be "robots," it would be a serial story, written by different people... And also, it would be kind of like a choose-your-own-adventure, in that voters would get to select which page qualifies to be added to the comic, and therefore are contributing to a linear storyline.

Yak's idea would probably be the best, but he's right... it is too restrictive, and with restriction of outlet comes restriction of creativity...

I think my idea is a happy medium, actually, but I agree that this particular competition/activity would need to be "moderated" by a "director."

Phemar

Oh, I get it now! That sounds brilliant, seriously. I'd love to see this in action. I didn't quite get it the first time.

Ubel

I say let's scrap the Comic Contest for good and continue contributing this idea. It never had much popularity anyway.

Krysis

Quote from: Pablo on Wed 30/11/2005 18:52:28
I say let's scrap the Comic Contest for good and continue contributing this idea. It never had much popularity anyway.
Yey! I agree. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk