1213 (Episode 1) - by Yahtzee

Started by , Thu 29/12/2005 23:46:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Kinoko

(psst, I was calling him a monster light-heartedly) ^_-

c53

Downloaded and playing. I'm still in the very begining, but just like I expected from Yahtzee, it's a good game so far. Good job Yahtzee.

Saberteeth

What the hell is wrong with this "Yahtzee" character ??? ? I played 5 days and 7 days(1213 still playing) and I don't know what the big deal is. I mean, if a person is mad on the whole world, you shouldn't judge him only by that(sorry if I don't get the whole picture, it's 'cause I'm still new on the forums).

Oh, and 1213 is a good game, not a great game, but a good game indeed,...and someone should post a link to the thread considering "Yahtzee's" leave of the forums and us n00bies will all live happily ever after ;), or not :-\.

Kweepa

Episode 2 now available... woop!
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Maybe we should use this thread for the newer episode as well... I mean, it IS the same game. Just needs editing the subject line.

A whooping 18-minute gameplay, this next episode.

Ah well, it's not length that really matters. These episodes are short, but when put together they might make a decent-length game. It seems Yahtzee did listen to the feedback! You can now run, the relation between shooting and actually hitting someone are more satisfactory (and based on distance, I think), and there's much less roaming to and fro to pick up items and use them. This installement is also much more story-heavy, which I really liked. Only thing I didn't like was the ending. Even episode 1's ending, which was a bit of a "bah" after that confrontation with the final boss, was much better than this, which is very, very anti-climatic.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Pet Terry

Ah, it's getting better. Quite a lot easier than the first part, but in a good way. I'm eagerly looking forward to the next part.
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

DeviantGent

Still retains those lovely healing showers. Ah, magical water...

Much more story orientated, and finally some tangible clues as to what the whole thing is about. Plus his use of the 'fog' to represent the escalating madness of 1213 is disturbingly effective.

I too would have like to have seen a litte more closure on the boss. Ah well, a minor gripe. An excellent continuation I think. Looking forward to Numero Tres.
The Deviant Gent
His Tumblr - His Twitter

Vince Twelve

I liked the growing story, and being able to run was nice, even if I could only do it in annoyingly short spurts.  The game was shorter and a lot easier, which is not good in my opinion.  And I still wish he wouldn't make me switch to the mouse for the menus and the one keypad puzzle.

But the story is intriguing.

The ending, however, was a real disappointment.  From a storytelling point of view, that was a complete cop-out.  I think I accomplished something... but what the hell was it?

Spoiler
Gameplay usually involves reward.  I was rewarded for pushing through the first 15 minutes by lots of tidbits of story, but it all the story bits were questions, there were no answers.

Then the final boss fight with, what I can only assume was a hallucination, gave me no reward whatsoever.  The gameplay wasn't especially exciting.  It was pretty much the same strategy of the last boss.  And if you think about it, if someone is unable to beat the boss, or doesn't care to try, they could just quit as soon as they reached it, and then load up episode three (when it comes out) and not miss ANYTHING. 

I know it's episodic and everything, and that the answers are coming, but still... Even a few seconds of cutscene at the end would have given me a bit of validation.  Answer at least one of the questions that the story is posing... As it is, I just feel ripped off.

There are better ways to make someone want to come back for the next episode.  Ways that don't involve giving them nothing but the promise of something of substance.
[close]

Mordalles

played, and it was okay. the collision detection sucked (especially at the ending), and the random hitting looks exactly like episode 1. sometimes shooting 10 times, and only hitting twice.

regarding his games in general, im not much of a yathzee fan. didn't like the rob blanc series at all (not very good in any aspect), and 5 days a stranger and 7 days a sceptic just seemed like an awful lot of walking searching for something new to happen somewhere. i guess it was good when it came out, but games like prodigal shows yacthzee how it should be done.

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

scourge

I hate struggling up those ledges, you have to aim perfectly. Maybe Yahkzee could make the jump more sensitive, like prince of persia and Blackthorne was.

DoorKnobHandle

Well, I agree. While the boss fight left way too much open (and didn't reward the player as Vince said), I believe Yahtzee might have put this fight in just to have something to end this specific episode with. How would've you liked it if episode 2 would've ended without boss fight? After all, it's all building up to episode 3 I guess.

Some other negative aspects: the running didn't make too much sense if you can only hold it for a few seconds (and it even caused me to damage my player because I forgot to take a look at the bar while running every now and then). Also, I agree with Vince again, the switching to the mouse for the keypads was awkward. Finally, the part of the (usually great running) engine which tells if you were hit by a projectile from the end boss or not was really quite strange at times. It hit me although the projectile was clearly way over my head (when I was hanging down from a ledge etc.).

But after bringing up all those nitpicks, I must not forget that I still think that 1213 is a great game. I did love all of his titles and this one fits in the row (it doesn't look like he put as much effort into it as he did with other great titles, but that's understandable, he himself said that he didn't want this game series to be a big one if I'm not mistaken).

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

QuoteWell, I agree. While the boss fight left way too much open (and didn't reward the player as Vince said), I believe Yahtzee might have put this fight in just to have something to end this specific episode with. How would've you liked it if episode 2 would've ended without boss fight? After all, it's all building up to episode 3 I guess.

I don't know about Vince, but I'm not against the boss fight itself.

Spoiler
What I don't like is that after the boss-fight, the game just ends. No messages, not even 1213 fainting, nothing at all. I might as well have skipped that damn boss fight, and would have missed nothing, much like Vince said. How hard would it have been to conclude the episode? Ep. 1 concluded well enough (though I'm still not much of a fan of THAT conclusion).
[close]
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

CodeJunkie

I loved episode 1 more it seems than some people did with all the negativity around, and episode 2 was no worse.  The plot developments and the 'fogging' scenes were great.  Sure, I agree about the ending, and the collisions in the boss fight were sort of dodgy, but still.  I'd like it just as much if it weren't Yahtzee that made it, and it seems that people are being especially negative because it is by him.  I'd be more critical if Yahtzee was particularly arrogant about it, but the games page has a modest one sentence description.
Looking forward to episode 3.

Pet Terry

<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

DoorKnobHandle

Played it through. Very awesome in my opinion, it was a great series of games. Amazing story and good gameplay.

Now I'd like a version with all three episodes put together.

Lucky

I think the last episode felt a bit rushed and unfinished at parts. End was totally Yahtzee though, anticlimatic but still good.

As for the optional ending... ::)

Vince Twelve

I liked the story wrap up.  The third chapter was of the same high quality of the others.  My biggest gripe about the whole series was the (lack of an) ending to episode two.  The hit detection was a bit funky on the bosses, but you could learn to avoid it.  I enjoyed the whole thing.

But I would have loved it more if the alternative ending had been the real one.

Tom S. Fox

Okay, just finished the last part, my conclusion:
Once again, a thrilling Yahtzee-typical story with good art and animation.
I enjoyned playing it, even though I crapped my pants every now and then.
One of the few things that buggedÃ,  me, was the senseless twist between Episode 1 and Episode 2:
Spoiler

At the end of Episode 2, everything seemed to be nigh on being revealed.
And at the beginning of Episode 3 everthing was back how it was and the main character did whatever the bespectacled man told him to, for no reason.
[close]

I liked the ending. It was so Twilight Zone-esque.
As for the alternative ending:
Spoiler

It was hilarious! This Yahtzee just can't be serious all the way through.
Or how he would say: He couldn't be arsed to be serious.
[close]

Well, it might have been a little short, but all things considered, it was a great game.
It might have had it's flaws, but try to do it better!

Zammafone

Beat series. Ã, Many problems. Ã, Story over-rated. Ã, 

Spoiler
Why are the guards shooting to kill, given that 1213 is their last hope? Ã, Why wasn't more of an effort made to keep him in custody? Ã, Why were the lower levels conceded without a fight, if losing them likely doomed mankind? Ã, (If you think there was a fight -- why so few guard corpses when there are so many for 1213 to kills, and given how easy mutants were for 1213 to take out, guards could've easily done so. Ã, If not the guards, then the drones. Ã, If not the drones, then the super drone.) Ã, Why does the spectacled man mock and harass 1213 if he's humanity's only hope and the doctor apparently wants to actually help? Ã, (For example, why does he encourage him to just be king of the mutants?) Ã, Why haven't they sent the robot drones down to earth?

Honestly, the ending was totally lame. Ã, People will love it, of course, because they love "twists" like that. Ã, But it was totally contrary to the rest of the plot of the game and to the story as revealed through gameplay.
[close]

edit by Eric: changed
Spoiler
tags to proper hide tags
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk