Woodlands - Updated (2008-01-23)

Started by fovmester, Sat 16/07/2005 09:14:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Peanne

I loved Frank games, cant wait to play this!  :=

fovmester

2006-02-12:

A long time has gone by since my last update. The reason has been two things. One, I haven't had much time over to write an update since school is more time-consuming than ever. Two, I don't want to tell you too much about what the game is about (it would spoil the surprises).  But now I feel that it is time to tell you all some of what I'm doing just to make sure you don't think I've died or worse; GIVEN UP! ;)

The past months I've put a lot of time into putting things together into something playable. I had already made lots of backgrounds and characters but I had not made interactions or dialogs. But now I've done several dialogs, implemented two major puzzles (with several sub-puzzles).

These puzzles include quite a lot of animation so that is another field that I've put effort into. I've drawn about 70-100 frames of character animation these past months. And I can tell you, it's looking great! (I can't show it though since it would give away the solutions to the puzzles).

Besides that I've also made three new songs for different scenes, I've drawn two new backgrounds and made sketches of another six.

So what is the status of the game right now? When will it be released? The game is slowly coming together. I've planned it well, so much of the heavy graphics are already done. I'm almost completely done with about half of the game, and will be able reuse much graphics for the second half.

So when, then? Give us a date!
I dare not set a date, as yet. Mostly because it is still a lot to do, and I will begin work on my Master's thesis next month which may or may not shave even more time of my freetime. But as soon as I feel I'm ready to give an estimate I will let you know.

ildu

G-g-great news!! I've been waiting for an update for some time. Good to hear about the progress you've made.

i k a r i

I was also waiting for an update..
The demo was great, (that sorcerer looked so cool  ;D)..
I believe this game will be incredible..
QuoteWell, one think is not liking him, and the other is making humour of the retarder people!
Nacho speaking of Bush.

Iv4n

Mats Berglinn

Could you please update the progress on your website? I would like to know the current progress so I know how much it is left.

fovmester

QuoteI hope for a summer release .

Maybe... ;)

QuoteCould you please update the progress on your website? I would like to know the current progress so I know how much it is left.

I have updated the progress on the webpage. I noticed that some image links were broken. I'll fix that when I get home from school.

I'm so glad so many people are waiting for Woodlands. It makes me really want to finish it as soon as possible.

scourge

I really want to play this! :)

Both of your frank games are awesome!

fovmester

2006-03-04: Once again it's time for my exams, so now I have had a few days to work on Woodlands. ;)

No, but seriously I have been doing a lot on the game lately. I've drawn and programmed a huge amount of animations and puzzles, as well as written a new song and also completed a new background which I showcase below. It is the barn  in the junie village, and the creature you see is called a dow (for now at least).

Next I will try to finish up the last puzzles of day one, and then about half of the game is done. Well, graphically even more is finished, so I gather the game'll be more like 65 % done after day one.

And of course I'll try to read some laserphysics and c++ programming in between. ;)

Here's the latest screenshot. What do y'all think?

scourge

Hey you are getting better with each screenshot! I seriously cannot wait :)

That barn reminds me of the Apprentice 1 barn :)

Keep up the good work. I'm really impressed you can do everything: scripting/graphics and music/
When it comes to music i'm deaf :)

Mats Berglinn

Yeah, I agree with buloght. It sort of reminds of Apprentice.

Is it just me or does this dow look very different compaired with the other dow screenshot? I don't just mean the color but the shape of it.

By the way, I've been thinking about this thought: Does the main-character called Tom as a in-joke for Tom Bombadill from the Lord of the Rings? I mean he is a creature from the woods and his name is Tom.

fovmester

Quote from: Mats Berglinn on Sun 05/03/2006 06:45:32
Yeah, I agree with buloght. It sort of reminds of Apprentice.

Is it just me or does this dow look very different compaired with the other dow screenshot? I don't just mean the color but the shape of it.

By the way, I've been thinking about this thought: Does the main-character called Tom as a in-joke for Tom Bombadill from the Lord of the Rings? I mean he is a creature from the woods and his name is Tom.

Thanks all of you! :D

I changed the colors of the dows from pink to this more redbrownish color. That's why it doesn't match the previous pic. The shape however... dunno. The perspective is different. Maybe that's it. I tried to keep the same shape. Maybe I failed? Help, anyone?

About Tom's name: I never thought about that really. It's actually quite weird, because for a long time I trying to draw the main character for the game and didn't have a name for him. Then when I finally came up with this version the name just popped up in my head. And I just couldn't change it. He was just Tom. That WAS his name. Weird...

Mats Berglinn

I looked around the topic after the screenshot of the "first" dow but the place where is should be there's no pic. I'm sure something it wrong the screenshot. I also tried look on the website for the game but that particular screenshot isn't there either. Anyway, I'm sure the shape doesn't really matter that much.

Oh, I also realized that I repeated the question of Tom's name. How embaressing!  :-[

Keep on going! Hope I can play this about the beginning of summer.

fovmester

Yes, I dunno where that picture is anymore either. But I put together a new comparison for you.

Here it is:

And Mats, don't be ashamed. I didn't remember that we already have had the Bombadill discussion either. :)

Iv4n

About the screenshot above: I think at some dark places, where the light can't go, there must be much darker than it's now. Especially where the creature stands. Well except his eyes. You know, Tom enters this place and see only those big eyes, starring at him. A little bit later and he can see better in the dark (i.e. getting brighter like it's in the picture maybe). About the door: it's too bright there, but I don't know. Maybe it's some effect you've searched for. Bottom down in the screen looks a little empty. Maybe you can add some more static items (like bags, shovels, gloves, spider nets, garbadge, wooden boxes etc.).

fovmester

Quote from: Iv4n on Sun 05/03/2006 15:31:31
About the screenshot above: I think at some dark places, where the light can't go, there must be much darker than it's now. Especially where the creature stands. Well except his eyes. You know, Tom enters this place and see only those big eyes, starring at him. A little bit later and he can see better in the dark (i.e. getting brighter like it's in the picture maybe). About the door: it's too bright there, but I don't know. Maybe it's some effect you've searched for. Bottom down in the screen looks a little empty. Maybe you can add some more static items (like bags, shovels, gloves, spider nets, garbadge, wooden boxes etc.).

Some good points here. Maybe the scene is still too bright even though I tried to make it dark. But I don't know about adding more things in the foreground. Some of the things you mentioned would be good solutions to some of the puzzles, and so I don't want them in there. ;)

You say that the door is too bright. Well that is an effect I WAS looking for. I thought it was effectful actually.

But thanks for the help. The more people who say their meaning, the better the end result!

scourge

fovmester

Update!!

2006-04-12:
Well, my exams are over and now I've started doing my diploma project (in "Lattice mismatched epitaxy" (nanoscience for those who don't have a clue what the previous statement means) ).

But I'm also working on the game of course. Lately I've done some dialogs, implemented a few puzzles and drawn a completely new scene and a new character. See the screenshot below.

The scene is by the Woodland stream, a river that divides the Woodlands in two. There's a little furry creature that lives in the dead tree, who collects all kinds of shiny things for his collection.
I
'm still striving to complete the first day as soon as I can, but I still have a few more animations to do. I'm thinking about releasing the first day as a demo, but I haven't decided yet.

Go to http://www.fovmester.se for news and info

DanClarke

Looks great, you have a very unique style that's yours alone, and i think your skills have come on a lot since your 1st frank the farmhand game! Keep it up.

KristjanMan

- They are all from AGS coloringball

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk