Started by Haddas, Tue 27/09/2005 19:44:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Haddas

Pet Terry

:o I better book my bus tickets ASAP!
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Haddas

Current date of start is July 1st. Discuss!

Ishmael

Fine by me. See you there.
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Ubel

Ishmael, what am I doing in your signature? Take that shit off!

...yeah, fine by me too. I can't wait.

jetxl

Class ends in week 21, but will be followed by tests. Lapaset will be in week 26. I think I can make it, so count me in.

Pet Terry

Hmm, I might be working in July so I would probably be able turn up during a weekend. We'll see what happens.
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

jetxl

So I was think that I have to book a flight one of these days and the following points popped up.

*It will start on July 1st, but when does it end? From the 1st to the 5th or the 7th?

*Can I sleep inside, since I can't bring a tent?

*Helsinki is the only international airport in Finland (?)

*I will be almost broke when I arrive. Can I live on 100 euros for a week? I'm talking about transportation costs,
protection money that your familia demands, money for food, money for drugs, money for souvenirs, ect. In other words...

*Will we be roaming about a lot and...

*Is Finland an expensive country?

*What is the drug policy in Finland anyway. Just wondering, really.

Pet Terry

*Helsinki is the only international airport in Finland (?)

*What is the drug policy in Finland anyway. Just wondering, really.

There's also the airport of Tampere, however, that's further away from Haddas' house and you would probably have to get a bus or train, whereas if you fly to Helsinki you might get a lift from Haddas himself.

As for the drug policy, drug-drugs are illegal. 18 and up are able to buy alcohol and cigarettes and get into pubs, though you must be 20 or more to be able to buy stronger stuff in liquor store.

I guess I should update my status as well. I'm still planning to come, but I might have work around that time (I'm not sure yet! That's what I get for being a substitute worker). I should be able to get the week off though, and failing that at least a couple of days from the beginning of the week. So I'm definately at least turning up. I possibly won't be able to come by a car because I don't own one, so I'll probably catch a bus down there and meet up with Ishmael on the way.

Do you have any plans what we might be doing during the stay, Haddas? By that I mean trips to somewhere else than the nearby lake or your front yard. :P
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

visy (the guy who made Lassi Quest)

If people happen to land at Tampere, I (and probably others) will gladly accompany people to Haddas's place. I live in Tampere, and I recall somebody else does too.

July 1st should be okay for me. I'm not all that sure if I can afford to come, but we'll see.
Still working on 8-bit stuff, mostly NES and Atari 2600:
http://oldskool.wamma.fi

Tuomas

I recall some talk about me giving a lift, as tmost the planes would arrive in Tampere where I live too. yet, there's something.

Considering my position, I might get a job for summer. Now if I do, I will be able to attend, but most likely only on weekend. AND... if I don't, which is more likely, well then I'll have to survive the whole summer with 40e... Also there's the possibility that I'm working in Spain at that time, but that's unlikely. There... sheesh, this looks bad on me :(

Should I win in the lottery or get graduation money, I would be able to give some people a lift with "a car", but that I cannot guarantee...

Haddas

Sorry, haven't noticed people posting in this thread. As for plans, I though we might visit Loviisa, and Porvoo, two old (close) towns, and shop around, depending on how wealthy you are. (Porvoo is the second oldest city in finland)

http://www.datapartner.fi/webcam/dcs-900.jpg (webcam of bus-station in porvoo. I was there just 2 hours ago. press f5 once in a while)

The meeting officially starts on the 1st and ends on the 7th, but i don't mind having people around for longer. You are all, obviously, free to leave when you wish. You can sleep inside. Infact we will try to position as many people inside as possible, since we have a spring on the side of the yard facing the forest, and as such the lawn can at times be a little moist (swamp).

I hope transportation issues work out, since forcing my father to drive for 6 hours (to and from airport) is not something he will gladly do.

Activity suggestions are welcome. We could go to Linnanmäki, but that would be quite expensive.

As far as food goes, you could bring your own, or buy food here. I could force my mother to buy, cook and serve food, but I doubt she'd do that for free. All house facilities are of course, free of charge (Sauna, Kitchen, Shower, etc...)

Obi

What about the holodeck is that free also?

Haddas

Pet Terry

Quote from: Haddas on Thu 27/04/2006 17:59:55
Activity suggestions are welcome. We could go to Linnanmäki, but that would be quite expensive.

I just checked the prices of Linnanmäki. There doesn't seem to be entry fee as far as I know. The wristband ticket thing, that allows free entry to every attraction, costs 28â,¬ and a single attraction ticket is 5â,¬. The biggest problem would probably be transportation if we've only one car, bus might get quite expensive.

Water park Serena could be another place to visit especially on sunny weather. The whole day pass is 19â,¬, and an evening pass, which works between 16:00 - 20:00, is 15â,¬. Again, the same transportation problem applies here.

Those are the only places that come to my mind right now, I don't really know what else worth visiting there is around that area. :P
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Haddas

The transportation will be an issue, but I have good family ties, so things should work out. Depending on how many show up there might be group discounts and stuff.

Haddas

1½ months left. I'm so excited I can't wait.

Pet Terry

Quote from: Haddas (from another thread) on Mon 15/05/2006 13:55:50
My dad prints shirts for a living.

I assume attendees get to buy custom made t-shirts, then? Also, does the colour of shirt matter? My local print shop can only print on white tees.

Also, if it rains, Nintendo? We could do time attacks!
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Haddas

If you bring the nintendo! Ours is broken :(

I'm planning on having Lapaset shirts availible, yes.

ildu

Once you get to Helsinki centrum, you can just get a tram to Kallio (where my brother and many friends live - a regular students/drunkards area, where Tarja Halonen grew up by the way) and go to Linnanmäki. No trouble there. The entrance is free indeed.

You can get a direct bus from Helsinki to Serena, number 339, but it's a U-line bus so it costs quite a lot unless you have a regular time-based bus keycard. Otherwise, you could get a bus or a train from Helsinki to Leppävaara, Espoo (where my school is at) and take another bus, number 24, straight to Serena. 339 would probably cost around 8-10 euros one way. The Helsinki-Leppävaara-Serena route would cost you about 3,5 euros. Also, you may consider sharing a taxi, which costs about 25-30 euros from Helsinki to Serena. I live some 10-15 minutes away from the place and a taxi from Helsinki to my house costs 22 euros.

Other attractions include Hietsu, a large beach area right next to Helsinki centrum, Esplanadi park/Senaatintori/Kauppatori areas, Kiasma, which is hosting ARS06 until the end of August, Pikkukoski swimming area in Oulunkylä, the Olympic Stadium pools (where you gotta wear speedos), Kumpula pools (same thing).

The last two you can break into at night to swim if you protest speedos (like me). There's a security guard patrol each night at a unpatterned time, so be aware. Usually you can hear them coming and you can make a run for it. Anyways, there's no real risk, because they probably won't call the police and they can't really legally detain you. Plus, the chances of actually getting caught are slim to none. This is if you want some adventure in your life :D.

As far as the nightlife goes, I would just suggest picking up a free Nöjesguiden or City magazine and checking the clubs for the evening. You can pretty much find anything, from goth to reggae and indie clubs, in Helsinki. Also, there's always some famous band playing somewhere in the centrum, so you can keep an eye out for that as well.

As for traveling within the bounds of Helsinki centrum, you can always walk or use trams. Trams require the same payment as busses, but they aren't as strictly regulated, so you can bum rides really easily. I'd say around 50% of people who use trams do it illegally. I, for one, have never gotten caught and have only been asked once to show my pass. I don't really ride the trams a lot though. You can also get trains, busses and the subway to areas around and outside Helsinki. The farthest the local trains go is Riihimäki.

And if any of you guys are interested in Second Hand shopping there's like 7-8 UFF shops around Helsinki centrum. I think at least Tuomas will have a ball treasure-hunting for them and in them. Shopping otherwise is the same as in any other larger city.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk