GNU/Linux Ports

Started by Electroshokker, Sun 07/06/2009 14:56:40

Previous topic - Next topic

deadsuperhero

I'm assuming the one you provided, as it automatically patches that through the installer via getlibs, right?
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

deadsuperhero

Still getting the same error. Interestingly enough, it works just fine without the savepath fix, but it messes up whenever I try and convert a compatible game over and run it, with the same error as before.

Any thoughts?

Electroshokker

Just noticed the following: http://stanford.edu/~pgbovine/cde.html

This tool packs up the necessary environment and dependencies and runs a linux program in a sandbox.

I'm gonna give it a test this weekend and see if this helps resolving possible AGS dependency and library problems.

deadsuperhero

I don't mean to nag, but have you made any progress with the _blender_trans24 error? I kind of wanted to package up a small sampler of AGS game projects I'm working on for Ubuntu users around April or May.

Electroshokker

Quote from: DeadSuperHero on Wed 09/02/2011 15:31:01
I don't mean to nag, but have you made any progress with the _blender_trans24 error? I kind of wanted to package up a small sampler of AGS game projects I'm working on for Ubuntu users around April or May.

Working on it. Just dug up my old project files from my HD. (New pc and all, temporary forgot where I put them, haven't had time to look into it yet.)

deadsuperhero

Quote from: Electroshokker on Tue 29/03/2011 13:30:17
Quote from: DeadSuperHero on Wed 09/02/2011 15:31:01

Working on it. Just dug up my old project files from my HD. (New pc and all, temporary forgot where I put them, haven't had time to look into it yet.)

Well, let me know! AGS is one of the few engines I'm actually half decent at working with, and I'd hate to go back and have to teach myself everything from scratch on one of the many half-finished Linux adventure game engines out there.

Electroshokker

Quote from: DeadSuperHero on Tue 29/03/2011 23:31:12
Well, let me know! AGS is one of the few engines I'm actually half decent at working with, and I'd hate to go back and have to teach myself everything from scratch on one of the many half-finished Linux adventure game engines out there.

Try this one:

Freshly build RC3, Allegro & Dumb no longer need to be installed separately with this one. They're included in the executable.

Things I've noticed:

- sound no longer works in Ubuntu 10.10 (*sigh*)
- gstreamer libraries act funny in 64-bit Ubuntu

Please test this build on different systems and tell me where it works and where it doesn't. (With/without audio/video)
Note you need the gstreamer packages for video.

Sslaxx

Quote from: Electroshokker on Wed 30/03/2011 11:55:30
Quote from: DeadSuperHero on Tue 29/03/2011 23:31:12

Try this one:

Freshly build RC3, Allegro & Dumb no longer need to be installed separately with this one. They're included in the executable.

Things I've noticed:

- sound no longer works in Ubuntu 10.10 (*sigh*)
- gstreamer libraries act funny in 64-bit Ubuntu

Please test this build on different systems and tell me where it works and where it doesn't. (With/without audio/video)
Note you need the gstreamer packages for video.
The sound issue appears to be something to do with Allegro, if http://opensnc.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/FAQ#The_game_has_no_sound.21_.28Linux.29 is anything to go by. Seems static compiling doesn't get around that issue then, disappointing.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Electroshokker

Quote from: Sslaxx on Wed 30/03/2011 12:18:43
The sound issue appears to be something to do with Allegro, if http://opensnc.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/FAQ#The_game_has_no_sound.21_.28Linux.29 is anything to go by. Seems static compiling doesn't get around that issue then, disappointing.

Hey, thanks for that link. I've been digging into the sound issue for a while now, but no luck so far. Forcing ags to run under aoss would be nice (heck, ANY sound would be nice), but my 64-bit pc doesn't allow it (RL_PRELOAD bug), and my 32-bit image is pretty much screwed up again. (after multiple experiments)

I'll try the approach described on a fresh virtualbox soon. For those who want to know if this works quicker:

Code: ags

sudo apt-get install alsa-oss

Create a file named AGS272_with_sound in the game folder. Using a simple text editor (like nano, gedit, kate, etc.), write the following contents to it:

#!/bin/bash
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=.:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
aoss ./AGS272 $@

Make the file executable:

chmod +x opensurge_with_sound

Then try starting ags using ./AGS272_with_sound

EDIT: seems this simple approach doesn't work. drat.

Sslaxx

Quote from: Electroshokker on Wed 30/03/2011 13:21:19
Quote from: Sslaxx on Wed 30/03/2011 12:18:43

Hey, thanks for that link. I've been digging into the sound issue for a while now, but no luck so far. Forcing ags to run under aoss would be nice (heck, ANY sound would be nice), but my 64-bit pc doesn't allow it (RL_PRELOAD bug), and my 32-bit image is pretty much screwed up again. (after multiple experiments)

I'll try the approach described on a fresh virtualbox soon. For those who want to know if this works quicker:

sudo apt-get install alsa-oss

Create a file named AGS272_with_sound in the game folder. Using a simple text editor (like nano, gedit, kate, etc.), write the following contents to it:

#!/bin/bash
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=.:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
aoss ./AGS272 $@

Make the file executable:

chmod +x opensurge_with_sound

Then try starting ags using ./AGS272_with_sound

EDIT: seems this simple approach doesn't work. drat.
Yeah, tried that just now and it didn't work. 10.10, yes? Wondering if it's distro version specific.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

deadsuperhero

Just saw this in the release notes.

QuoteAll special paths point to /home/$username$/.ags/$gamename$ so your save games will end up there instead of where the executable is

Does this work now? I tried saving my game, and although it did save, it did it in the directory of the executable itself. Does it need to just be shoved into a non-user directory in order to use the special savepath fix?

I'll give it a shot and see if that's the case.

Edit: Nope.  :(

Electroshokker

Quote from: DeadSuperHero on Wed 30/03/2011 14:26:33
Just saw this in the release notes.

QuoteAll special paths point to /home/$username$/.ags/$gamename$ so your save games will end up there instead of where the executable is

Does this work now? I tried saving my game, and although it did save, it did it in the directory of the executable itself. Does it need to just be shoved into a non-user directory in order to use the special savepath fix?

I'll give it a shot and see if that's the case.

Make sure the .ags folder exists in you userhome.

Put the game in your userhome under, let's say the "AGS Games" folder. When saving the game you'll see a new folder being created in the hidden .ags folder.

deadsuperhero

Okay, the savepath is definitely working now. That's pretty exciting.

Unfortunately, it does not currently work for running an executable outside of the /home/$username/ directory, so packaging is still out of the question for the time being, sadly. However, this is a step in the right direction, I feel.

Thank you so much for all your hard work!

strazer

Glad to see this is still being worked on! I just checked the latest build of my old test game with the RC3 runtime. Runs great, but no sound unfortunately (Ubuntu 10.10):

Unable to initialize your audio hardware.
[Problem: Insufficient digital voices available]

Then again, using the older engine now also gives me no sound with no error messages...strange.

Electroshokker

Quote from: strazer on Thu 31/03/2011 12:22:45
Glad to see this is still being worked on!
I just checked the latest build of my old test game with the RC3 runtime. Runs great, but no sound unfortunately (Ubuntu 10.10):

Unable to initialize your audio hardware.
[Problem: Insufficient digital voices available]

Then again, using the older engine now also gives me no sound with no error messages...strange.

Yeah, first priority is to figure out how to get sound again. I've been looking at it from multiple angles but the only solution I can come up with is replace the default allegro audio system with a different one. (Like gstreamer audio. Hey, I'm already using that for the video, might as well extend it.)

The cause is PulseAudio, which takes over default ALSA, but doesn't do so properly, breaking a lot of stuff in the progress. And even if they get it right, pulseaudio delays the sound due to the way it works. Not a great choice there for the distros to having rushed in using it. Does anyone with a different OS get sound working?

I've also upped the allegro library version to 4.4, which seems to work just fine (it's fully backwards compatible with 4.2). Why? Since it's got OpenGL extensions, and I hope to use them for the linux build, allowing for a new option there and quicker rendering.

Of course, if Chris were to switch over to 4.4 with the windows version he could add OpenGL too... Though he probably has as little time to work on this as me.

BigMc

Hi,

are there plans to get the changes that were made for the Linux port into the SVN? That would be great! Also are the Linux sources available?

Best regards,
BigMc

Electroshokker

Quote from: BigMc on Thu 25/08/2011 23:20:12
Hi,

are there plans to get the changes that were made for the Linux port into the SVN? That would be great! Also are the Linux sources available?

Best regards,
BigMc

I handed over all the sources of the pre- opensource AGS linux versions to Chris. I haven't been involved with the code anymore since AGS went opensource.

timofonic

Are there any news?

I see there's the official SVN, the JJS Git repo in Gitorious.

Any plans of a new Linux port? I heard Bero is doing one. Maybe a proper central site for all AGS runtime ports would be nice.

Electroshokker

I'm changing hosting solution.

Anyone needing one of the old linux port builds, feel free to contact me.

Total down time might be a couple of days.

timofonic

Would you be allowed to open the source code of them?

And what about new ports? :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk