[ ON HOLD ] King's Quest 4

Started by Karens, Sun 15/01/2012 09:39:52

Previous topic - Next topic

smaug

Ah, that is one magnificent looking inventory, Karens!

So fitting with the overall atmosphere and mood of the game, and, in fact, Kings Quest, in general..!

Karens

deltamatrix

So just a minute here. How many KQ4 remakes are there now. I count 3 including this one.
BAD WOLF - TORCHWOOD - MR SAXON - THE BEES ARE DISAPPEARING - PANDORICA - RIVER SONG

Karens

Quote from: deltamatrix on Fri 18/05/2012 12:12:28
So just a minute here. How many KQ4 remakes are there now. I count 3 including this one.

Yeah, seems the MMgames team is up and running again, good for them. In a year or two you might see Telltale's version of King's Quest too :),
but I think it's all good. All three fan versions will be very different, Nightfable's will have new plot and story elements, which is really cool imo.
We will have both a slightly tweaked 1:1 version plus a new improved (somewhat more difficult) second version (two modes in the same game) and mmgames is a completely 1:1 game with everything identical to the original.

smaug

It certainly suggests that KQ4 holds a special place in many an adventure gamers hearts, especially, perhaps, in the hearts of those who first played the game as a child, at the time it was originally released.
And now, some twenty years later, many of these children have become very talented adults, who still remember the thrills and joy the games of their childhood gave them, and are willing to spend their spare time, remaking these classics for a whole new generation of gamers to enjoy..!

And I suspect that this is a very good way of reliving and remembering fond memories from the past..!

Karens

Yeah, that's true, it's actually the first adv. game I ever played as a kid, so there are a lot of memories there,, absolutely :)

LTGiants2000

Quote from: Karens on Wed 23/05/2012 23:44:06
Yeah, that's true, it's actually the first adv. game I ever played as a kid, so there are a lot of memories there,, absolutely :)

+1

Definitely one of the first I played all the way through (I think I had played a few before it but was too young to be able to complete it). It was a toughy though, I think I ended up calling a hint hotline (or paying for the UHS)!

Karens

Yeah, me too, as to hint books. I think Al Lowe said in an interview Sierra made more money at one time on hint books than the games themselves.
To be honest I never really liked adv games without any kind of hints built into it,, so we're adding our own dynamic hint system where the gamer can decide for themselves how much they want the clues to reveal :)

A little update, the Island and a tweaked frog pond and hut;

DazJ

Excellent work! These really are magnificent renders and definitely have that right look. Each background seems to be bursting with magic. All the best with this project! :)

Karens

Quote from: DazJ on Sat 26/05/2012 10:47:31
Excellent work! These really are magnificent renders and definitely have that right look. Each background seems to be bursting with magic. All the best with this project! :)

Thanks!:) We've already progressed quite a lot since this thing started, we're probably around 20 percent done with the art now. Screens will also look better when animated, (like water ripples, etc)

smaug

Awesome awesome screenshots!

But, in the nursery room, I find there are a couple of puzzling anachronisms, namely the toy train and the aircraft model. I cannot recall if they were present in the original, or not, but I have to say, I find it unlikely that such technical devices would have been known to the inhabitants of Tamir.
Then again, if the mansion really was a Victorian age mansion, somehow magically transported to Tamir, which, I believe, is mentioned in the KQ4 guide, it would allow us to account for the toy train. However, the aircraft model, I fear, would still be a little bit out of place and time. It is an intriguing problem, and those who are more knowledgeable of the KQ guides, than me, could perhaps shed some more insight into the matter.

And then I wonder, would it be possible to "insert" the Rosella sprite into one of the magnificent backgrounds, just to give a glimpse on how the whole picture, as it were, will look..?

Knox

Wow, I really like the grass effect! If you dont mind me asking, how did you do it? Do you use 3ds max or Maya (or some other 3d package)...I always wondered how to render grass like that!
--All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

Karens

Quote from: smaug on Sat 26/05/2012 23:59:01
Awesome awesome screenshots!

But, in the nursery room, I find there are a couple of puzzling anachronisms, namely the toy train and the aircraft model. I cannot recall if they were present in the original, or not, but I have to say, I find it unlikely that such technical devices would have been known to the inhabitants of Tamir.
Then again, if the mansion really was a Victorian age mansion, somehow magically transported to Tamir, which, I believe, is mentioned in the KQ4 guide, it would allow us to account for the toy train. However, the aircraft model, I fear, would still be a little bit out of place and time. It is an intriguing problem, and those who are more knowledgeable of the KQ guides, than me, could perhaps shed some more insight into the matter.

And then I wonder, would it be possible to "insert" the Rosella sprite into one of the magnificent backgrounds, just to give a glimpse on how the whole picture, as it were, will look..?

Yeah, *lol, I never thought about that! but you're right, I changed the airplane, I think the train is okay though in a Victorian house.
Also, a little preview visit from Rosella :)

Quote from: General_Knox on Sun 27/05/2012 03:32:02
Wow, I really like the grass effect! If you dont mind me asking, how did you do it? Do you use 3ds max or Maya (or some other 3d package)...I always wondered how to render grass like that!

The grass is done in Cinema 4d, it's basically just some straws put together in a clump and then copied around with render instances (also called proxies) -with random rotation and alignment settings. It's also good to put some translucency or sss (sub surface scattering) in the material and have a little color variation so it doesn't look too uniform. The lighting is the most important thing though, don't put it in front of the grass or too high up, (SSS materials like skin and grass etc, work best with back lighting and diagonal lights).

I fiddled a little with 3ds way back, the 2012-13 versions are a lot more stable and better when poly editing. I guess it's a lot better than  Cinema in terms of modeling and character animation, (Maya is probably the best),, but I've gotten so used to Cinema, everything just goes faster, especially texturing. To be honest I don't really feel comfortable in 3ds, never did, it's such a cluttered, awkward interface imo, but it is the industry standard I suppose. 

smaug

Rosella in the nursery!

It is beautiful! Absolutely stunningly beautiful! The lighting, the shadow, everything is perfectly consistent with the background! What an awesome gaming experience this is going to be..!

Karens

Yeah, and it's not too long now before our first playable demo is out :)

Some new screens;

smaug

Wow, I love the shark sticking its head out of the water!

I can clearly hear John Williams' immortal two tone cello theme as I watch it..!!!

Karens

Quote from: smaug on Mon 25/06/2012 19:07:29
Wow, I love the shark sticking its head out of the water!

I can clearly hear John Williams' immortal two tone cello theme as I watch it..!!!

Oh yeah, "da dam.., da dam..da dam.. *violins*. whaaaa, :P..
it's actually one of my favorite movies (Jaws), plus I love sharks in general, such incredibly fascinating animals :)

not much to speak of as for game updates though, I'm currently working on tweaking the grass for the outdoor scenes, if anyone finds that interesting... (and yeah, the reindeer is very random..heheh)

smaug

I am incredibly fascinated with sharks, too, and Jaws is indeed one of my favorite movies of all time. And even if I know that real Great Whites are nothing like the shark in the movie, it has still instilled in me a primal fear of sharks, that I, most likely, will have throughout my entire life.

"Fear of the shark", to misquote Iron Maiden...

On the topic side, these outdoor scenes are brilliant, the swan dam in particular stands out as a beautiful scene..!

EchosofNezhyt

Awesome, Its a nice change to see see 3d art here :D
Goodjob.

CaptainD

This is going to be one amazing-looking game!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk