Coloring Ball: Useless Machine (WINNERS ANNOUNCED)

Started by Tycho Magnetic Anomaly, Tue 30/05/2017 21:00:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

Wowzers, I only opened this up for votes less then a day ago and so many votes already..  great stuff everybody.

Well since there is still a week left to vote I might like to give anyone the opportunity to enter a useless machine design and it will feature on the collaboration version of the totem image.

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Stupot

Sorry I missed out on this. Here are my votes:

Onest: Arjon
Twond: Rocchinator
Threerd: Gurok

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

hehe awesome Cassiebsg that contraption looks dangerous! also love you worked the ags mug into it.. super work :D
Yes you missed the contest by just a few days :( .. but of course yours will feature on the totem .. i can already see it fitting in well!

arj0n

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Mon 12/06/2017 11:42:44
Finally had sometime to work on this, sorry I missed the deadline. :-[
That's gorgeous, Cassbsg!

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

Hi folks, this turned out to be a really fantastic contest with all your amazing entries.

Unfortunately I have run into a bit of an issue with regards making the totem image. I have been extremely busy last few weeks and I thought putting theses onto one gif (animated) would be straight forward, however I have left it so late that I am not sure If I can work this out by tomorrow. So I am pleading with anyone on the forum to help me work out this, or even if you have something setup to do this already if perhaps someone might do it?

I have tried so many things , from html, css, flash.. and I cant seem to figure this out.. I know if i spend a few days researching this I could perhaps do it.

The closest i got was with css, but in my css editor I see everything aligned perfect, but when viewing in browser everything breaks up and there are gaps between the gifs.

Is it possible someone might help me on this?  There will be a backdrop image (which i still have not done yet,. doing it now) to go behind the totem so it would need to be part of the gif

arj0n

Quote from: Tycho Magnetic Anomaly on Fri 16/06/2017 14:40:43
I am not sure If I can work this out by tomorrow.
There's no need for a totem-deadline, Tycho.
This comp, although it's over, will be closed when you want it to be closed.
Even if another one has already started, no problem.

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

ah cool that takes a bit of pressure off ... trust me to leave it till the last minute :)
I will tally up and announce the winner as normal tomorrow anyway, and over the weekend I will sort out the totem

Cassiebsg

Also, not sure your idea of assembling the totem with just css, html, etc will work, since we all use different browsers, with different settings. The only thing that might work is just to assemble them in photoshop or similar prog and then created just one image (and hope the 256 colour limit won't ruin all the gifs...) Think mine has 34 or 36 colours, so if most ppl didn't used very high count, it should be possible to assemble it without ruining the colours too much. . 

Gurok

Mine has 10 colours, but about 100 frames. If you're animating the totem, I'm sorry. :(
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

a ah,, nice suggestions, but you know it now raises another question about synchronizing the whole gif as a loop... I have not counted frames on each persons animation but i am going to assume they are all using different lengths of frames.. so i have not done the math but I will assume anyway that getting them all on the one image AND having the whole thing as a loop will never work. Also good point on the 250colors. Well I am slapping my wrists a bit on this.. I should have set couple of rules like if people animate they can only animate in a powers of x frame count and generally same speed/fps. So realistically the only way of doing this is have them playing in real time individually on a webpage (assembled into the totem), either html or css .. well css more likely. at least then they can all run at the speed they where designed at, will all loop properly, and the colors will be maintained. 

Its the only thing i can think of with regard the animated totem.   I was "close" with the css, I am sure if I tinker more with it i can get it right and have it set well across most devices/browsers .. then i can do a still image version too.

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

THE WINNERS!

1st Place
Rocchinator

2nd Place
Arj0n

3rd Place
Tabata

Super Congrats to the winners, all the runners-up and , all your amazing art works and votes. This was a very enjoyable contest.

Rocchinator later I will PM you details such as the next contest post header (or just quote+modify the first post) ..etc And best of luck with the next color ball contest :)

AnasAbdin

Congrats all winners! Congrats Rocchinator and hope to see a new CB by you soon!
Thanks to all participants and voters :)

Thanks Tycho Magnetic Anomaly for being such a great host, and Wow those trophies are awesome!

Blondbraid

Danvzare

Congratulations you all. Brilliant entries all around. :-D

Now where's our totem?

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

Gday.... Well OK.. I managed to knock something together here.
http://fractalscapes.net/-DUMP/FORUM/totem2/

Since it's CSS i "tried" to make hotspot areas over each entry so the name of the artist would appear next to it.. Still haven't figured that, I would have also liked a little button on the page to zoom in / out on the whole thing.
Unfortunately I haven't got a clue how to actually code in CSS, I am using a visual tool so I did spend a few hours trying the above things. I will come back to this and try again at some point. Didn't get much time with the backdrop image either, but the focus is meant to be on your amazing machines anyway.

Bare in mind my intention at the start of the idea was to have it a gif, but as mentioned in previous posts I didn't factor in the problems I eventually ran into.. never-mind hehe :)

Anyway, with your combined assemblage of absolutely useless contraptions that each on their own do nothing you have managed to create something that dose EVERYTHING! and more ... well done folks!

EDIT: You can hold down on ctrl key and use mouse wheel to zoom in on page (most browsers)
Or use MS Magnifier on it to see nice crisp pixels

Cassiebsg

dactylopus

Quote from: Tycho Magnetic Anomaly on Sat 17/06/2017 14:46:10
Gday.... Well OK.. I managed to knock something together here.
http://fractalscapes.net/-DUMP/FORUM/totem2/

This looks awesome!  Everyone did a great job, and together it's perfect.  So glad to see so many high quality entries.  Congratulations to all participants for collectively creating such a fun piece of art, and congratulations to the winners!  This was a really cool and different take on the coloring ball, and I love how it worked out.  Looking forward to the next one!

DBoyWheeler

Rocchinator

Quote from: Tycho Magnetic Anomaly on Sat 17/06/2017 03:27:39
THE WINNERS!

1st Place
Rocchinator

2nd Place
Arj0n

3rd Place
Tabata

Super Congrats to the winners, all the runners-up and , all your amazing art works and votes. This was a very enjoyable contest.

Rocchinator later I will PM you details such as the next contest post header (or just quote+modify the first post) ..etc And best of luck with the next color ball contest :)

Wow 1rst place im so happy. Really good competition so many amazing entries. Thanks everyone. @Tycho ok i will happily host the next CB

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk