Can a character use a speech voice file not named after the character?

Started by Cassiebsg, Thu 29/08/2019 22:47:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassiebsg

Thanks for the answer, I just mentioned in case this would be like 4 or 5 lines of code in the engine.  ;)

Anyway, guess I'll make this game with what AGS can now, and hope that if I make a second game, that this implementation has been added to a new version.  (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Wed 18/09/2019 13:26:46
Thanks for the answer, I just mentioned in case this would be like 4 or 5 lines of code in the engine.  ;)

That could be not too hard to add in the engine, but you also need to make editor create multiple speech voxes out of multiple sources.
Anyway, there's a point where development of a version must stop, otherwise we won't ever finish fixing and keep adding new stuff because people ask indefinitely.

Cassiebsg

Oh, I wasn't suggesting that the engine would create the multiple speechs vox self.
The engine would compile the speech.vox just like it does now... it would be on my part to then move the file to another folder. Then replace the speech files with the next language to encode a speech file for... move the file to another folder, and so on.

Then all I would need to do in code would be something like:
if (translation=english) speechfolder=.../game/speech/eng;
else if (translation=portuguese) speechfolder=.../game/speech/por;

Inside each folder there would just be a normal speech.vox... kind of a "hack" way to solve the problem until a better solution could be implanted.

But yes, I agree that one can't just keep adding stuff, otherwise the version is never finished for release.  (nod)

Crimson Wizard

Hmm, Cassiebsg, but if you're looking for a workaround, cannot above be achieved with an installer or custom setup program? Make language/speech choice in the installer rather than game itself and make it copy necessary files out of the archive, or something.

Cassiebsg

Maybe if it was to be a regular game with translation, that would work just fine.
But I want to be able to change it via script, since I want/need to access speech files from 2 different languages packs at the "same time", just like I'm accessing the translation files and changing it as needed.

No worry, I'll work with dummy characters and change them as needed, and restrain me to using only 2 on this game. And with my track record for non-MAGS games) it'll probably take me forever to finish and by then maybe this has been implemented into a new release...  (laugh) (roll)

cat

Can't you use different line numbers for the translation? If you prefix the lines for each language with a certain number, it shouldn't be too hard to keep things organised.

This is what the translation file would look like:

&12 Hello
&1012 Olá!

Cassiebsg

Uhm, that might work. *Thanks.  (nod) I'll give it a try when I have the time.  :-D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk