What did you achieve in 2019?

Started by KyriakosCH, Sun 22/12/2019 14:14:33

Previous topic - Next topic

KyriakosCH

So, what did you achieve in 2019?

As for me...

Positive:
- three new books -translations- printed. All stories by H.P.Lovecraft (I work as lit translator)
- translated another book, not yet printed
- contracted to complete (and did so) an online lit seminar, which fortunately pays well!

Negative:
- one year older
- no new own work (fiction) published
- no progress in any AGS project...
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

milkanannan

Hi Kyria,

Congratulations on the translations! That's great news. Sounds like you had a very productive year.

2019 was somewhat of an "on on" year (as my English colleagues would say). Mainly just getting through my various duties as best as I can. My son started kindergarten, and I managed to move myself into the home stretch of a master's degree, so I guess those were the two big ones this year.

What are your goals for next year?

ManicMatt

One year older isn't a negative, it means you survived another year!

As for me:

Positive:

+ One year older ;)
+ Finished and released Trails and Traces.
+ Maintained my weight loss
+ Learned how to touch type (ten finger typing)
+ Started work on a new game
+ Identified my knee issue and how to cope with it

Negatives:

- Didn't find an office job in the past couple of months (I have no actual office experience)
- Struggled to drink enough water (rather than diet soda)

Stupot

Nice thread.

Positive
Had a baby boy.
Designed and prototyped a board game I'm pretty pleased with.
Didn't die (yet)

Negative
Made very little progress on the diploma I started last year.
Got very little AGSing done (that goes for playing as well as making)
Wasted way too much time on Twitter.
Didn't Die(yet)

Goals for 2020
Finish, or at least make a solid dent in my diploma.
Get my board game playtested and maybe even contact a few publishers about it.
Get a new job.
Be a great dad.

KyriakosCH

Quote from: manannan on Mon 23/12/2019 12:37:16
Hi Kyria,

Congratulations on the translations! That's great news. Sounds like you had a very productive year.

2019 was somewhat of an "on on" year (as my English colleagues would say). Mainly just getting through my various duties as best as I can. My son started kindergarten, and I managed to move myself into the home stretch of a master's degree, so I guess those were the two big ones this year.

What are your goals for next year?

Well, it could have been better, but at least the lit seminar pays quite well (translating doesn't).

I have a lot of goals, but that is mostly because I should have achieved more already ^_^

Mandle

2019?! Oh my God! Is that the time already? Sorry, I gotta go!

LimpingFish

Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Durq

I made two MAGS games and helped out with other AGS games.

I self-published a children's book that no one will read (I've done no marketing), but it was just something I wanted to accomplish: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XXGFYQM

I bought an Oculus Quest and discovered the magic of virtual reality and shared the magic with family members.

I read 16 books. Some notable ones were In Cold Blood by Truman Capote and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson.

Work-wise, I had the most successful year I've ever had.

I got a new girlfriend.

I beat 49 games, several of which were AGS games. Here's a list just because:

Spoiler
Captain Disaster in Death Has a Million Stomping Boots
Mage's Initiation: Reign of the Elements
Space Quest II VGA Remake
The Inner World
Session Seven
Gemini Rue
Truberbrook
Whispers of a Machine
Guard Duty
A Golden Wake
Football Game
Memoranda
Paradigm
Red Dead Redemption
Hiveswap: Act 1
I Expect You to Die
Moss
Metaphobia
GNRBLEX
Drowning Cross
The Exorcist: Legion VR
Yooka-Laylee
Shadow Point
Face Your Fears 2
A Tale of Two Kingdoms
Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin
Gibbous: A Cthulhu Adventure
Red Matter
Bear With Me: Episode One
The Wizards
Toonstruck
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Nintendo Switch)
Time Stall
The Way Remastered
Shadow Complex Remastered
Dreadhalls
Adam Wolfe
Last Day of June
Costume Quest
Trails and Traces: The Tomb of Thomas Tew
The Adventures of Bertram Fiddle: Episode 1
Costume Quest 2
The Curious Tale of the Stolen Pets
Vader Immortal
The Beard in the Mirror
A Fisherman's Tale
Yoku's Island Express
Planet Alpha
Gato Roboto
[close]

Mandle

Quote from: Durq on Wed 25/12/2019 05:34:28
I read 16 books. Some notable ones were In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

One of the most chilling reads of all time. Written back when serial murders were still called "stranger killings" and were a little-known thing, and still shocked people.

Cassiebsg

Uhm...

Positive:
I learned Revit and and.... released a couple AGS games, colaborated in some games as well... and and...

Negative:
Still searching for a new job... which this needs to be positive next year or we're in deep trouble.  :-X
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Durq

Quote from: Mandle on Thu 26/12/2019 13:11:53
Quote from: Durq on Wed 25/12/2019 05:34:28
I read 16 books. Some notable ones were In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

One of the most chilling reads of all time. Written back when serial murders were still called "stranger killings" and were a little-known thing, and still shocked people.

I still found the book shocking in 2019. One thing that stood out to me was that one of the killers suffered a serious head injury (when he was a teenager, I think). The father (I think) said his son just wasn't the same person after the injury. I'd guess that the murders wouldn't have happened if the guy had never gotten that head injury. It's crazy to think that a blow to the head can change who we are.

ManicMatt

Extra Positive:

+ Somebody completed the game in my signature. :)

That's something any dev would be happy to hear going by the amount of trophies for completing a game on PS4. Some can often be around 30% of people who played the game that earned it unless the game is incredibly short in which case it will usually be a higher percentage naturally.

Durq

Quote from: ManicMatt on Thu 26/12/2019 23:55:49
Extra Positive:

+ Somebody completed the game in my signature. :)

That's something any dev would be happy to hear going by the amount of trophies for completing a game on PS4. Some can often be around 30% of people who played the game that earned it unless the game is incredibly short in which case it will usually be a higher percentage naturally.

An extra positive for me is that there are talented game developers who create games that players like me can enjoy. From just making two MAGS games, I've had a (very small) glimpse of how challenging and life-consuming it is to create a good game. So thank you, devs.

Stupot

I finally cleared a pile of branches and rotting leaves that has been sitting outside my house since October. I call that a win.

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot on Fri 27/12/2019 03:41:39
I finally cleared a pile of branches and rotting leaves that has been sitting outside my house since October. I call that a win.

Nonono, you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to make that your New Years Resolution and get around to doing it about this time next year.

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Stupot on Fri 27/12/2019 03:41:39

I looked at the code and that action triggers an event...

ManicMatt

Quote from: Durq on Fri 27/12/2019 01:41:27
I've had a (very small) glimpse of how challenging and life-consuming it is to create a good game. So thank you, devs.

Heh, and then there's devs like me who stubbornly attempt to do everything for the game. Coding, characters, backgrounds, animation, dialogue, design, music, voices etc.

It is rewarding seeing it all come together though.

(Trails and Traces did have a few voices by others such as our very own Captain D but for my latest I'm going for all out cartoony so it's easier to do more distinguishable voices)

Slasher

Laura Hunt

I decided to get into game development, downloaded AGS, made a couple of games, working on another, much more ambitious one, and... time will tell, I guess! Not regretting anything so far :)

Blondbraid

Looking back, I realized I've won a MAGS competition for the first time, and then the entry my team worked on won another MAGS again this year.

Also, I've gotten into 3D printing, and I've made a lot of progress in Maya (as in the 3D modeling software, not the native Mexican language).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk