MAGS September "Sometimes Evil Wins" (VOTING)

Started by Stupot, Fri 02/09/2022 05:39:51

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS September?

The Stinker by Slasher
2 (13.3%)
Siren by GOC Games
7 (46.7%)
Unfair by ZapZap
6 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: Fri 21/10/2022 02:03:09

Shadow1000

My opinion:

The Stinker by Slasher:
Spoiler
Great adaptation of the theme and funny backstory.

Ok, I have to admit: I hate vandalism. When I see public property damaged or graffiti spray painted, I get pretty upset. At first, I could not bring myself to cause damage even in the game, but it didn't take long for me to learn how much fun it is to f--- up some park equipment!

Not challenging in terms of puzzles, but a LOT of fun and entertaining nevertheless. :)
[close]

Siren by GOC Games:
Spoiler
WOW! I was not expecting that. I loved the spooky feel to the game and playing two characters was awesome! Puzzles are a bit simple but adequate to make the game a really good experience. I hope this gets expanded one day to a longer story with more complex puzzles
[close]

Unfair by ZapZap:
Spoiler
Very creative game, requiring close attention to detail from the player. Intriguing story that unfolds really well as the game progresses. I have not had the time to complete it successfully but I definitely intend to once my schedule opens up!
[close]

I voted for
Spoiler
Siren. I had the best overall enjoyment and immersion playing it
[close]

OneDollar

The Stinker by Slasher:
Spoiler
It's fun to play the bad guy and cause mayhem, and I liked the idea of spreading the game out over four scenarios to give you four different locations to destroy. It might have been nice to allow swapping between characters mid-game so if you get stuck in one area (which I briefly did) you could switch to another character and come back later. Maybe also giving the player a bit of info about where each character's mission is so they know what they're picking on the selection screen (at the moment we're just going on names). There's some nice touches in the destruction, like making dents where the player actually clicks. Puzzles were a bit mixed for me, some were fun but others felt a bit obscure or went on too long (like having to check every hotel room in case someone was inside it). Overall I enjoyed the game, and I think it was a fun way to interpret the topic.
[close]
Siren by GOC Games:
Spoiler
Strong on both graphics and atmosphere - in my opinion this has the best presentation of the three. It's well paced and a good length. The inventory style puzzles were decent, though with the limited number of items and single-screen locations none of them were particularly challenging. There's also the key in the keyhole puzzle which people were complaining was overdone when Broken Sword 3 came out. Still, a very strong contender and I liked your spin on the topic.
[close]
Unfair by ZapZap:
Spoiler
Making an Ace Attorney game in AGS in a month doesn't sound easy, but this is surprisingly good attempt. The basics of consulting evidence, cross examining witnesses, spotting contradictions and even pointing out inconsistencies in pictures are all there. The interface works, but it's a little bit clunky and awkward. These kind of games live or die on unravelling the central mystery and I think this is handled well. I had a general guess as to what happened after getting the temporary autopsy report, but there's a steady drip of extra information and clues as you progress through the witness statements. My one major complaint is that early on you get the opportunity to press a witness on something. I hadn't exhausted the rest of the options so decided to pass for the moment. This closes the conversation topic with no way to go back and press on it, but without pressing you miss a piece of evidence that's vital to moving forward. I also saved after having done this and was soft-locked without realising it. Knowing the topic also works against this one, as I guessed how it would end from the start. Looking past these things though I think the core of the game is solid.
[close]
My vote:
Spoiler
I gave it to Unfair. It was the game I enjoyed most of the three, and it also had a lot of ambition and mostly delivered on it.
[close]

Stupot

The voting is over and the numbers have been crunched.

The winner of MAGS September is...

Siren by GOC Games.

Well done ddavey. I'll be in touch soon about choosing a topic for November.

Thanks to everyone who participated. 15 votes this month, which is a decent number.

heltenjon

Congratulations, GOC Games! Well deserved.  (nod)

ZapZap

Congrats ddavey1983/GOC! Great game.
I eagerly await your choice for next month's topic.
And thanks so much for the feedback guys, I didn't know you wouldn't have the option to press again, I lacked the time to have external beta-testing, sorry :~(
"Loose ends have a way of strangling you"

ddavey1983

Excellent news, thank you so much everyone! Really good contest this month, thought the other games were great. Now to think of a topic...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk