Captain Disaster and the Two Worlds of Riskara

Started by CaptainD, Tue 31/01/2023 22:00:39

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainD

Yes it's true!! Captain Disaster is back! But, he's as you've never seen him before.

** Demo available on Steam! **

I'm delighted to announce that I have teamed up with Lorenzo of Clotilde fame to make a new Captain Disaster game, with the same daft humour but an all-new graphical style and user interface, while Viking will be creating an original music score for the game - most recently Viking created the superb OST for The Corruption Within.  I will be taking care of coding, design and sound effects while Lorenzo works his magic with the artwork (plus throwing in some dreadful jokes just in case mine aren't bad enough, and probably solving my coding issues!). I won't say anything about his graphics as the screenshots below speak for themselves.

We will also be welcoming back some of the voice acting crew from Stomping Boots while introducing some new voices. TheBitPriest will be part of the project as well, since obviously it wouldn't really be Captain Disaster without my co-dev from Stomping Boots!

Nearer the time I will be recruiting some testers to round off the team.

Captain Disaster and the Two Worlds of Riskara features an epic story in which our hero is not quite so much of a disaster... or is he? Answering a distress call begins a chain of events involving a planet with an amazing history, an attempt to unite two races driven apart for so long that no-one can remember why, and an ancient race thought to be long extinct...

While not exactly a follow-on from Death Has A Million Stomping Boots, there will be allusions to events from it and at least one returning character apart from Zero-Bit and the Captain himself.

Parody has always been an important part of the Captain Disaster DNA, and that's just as true with this games. Books that will definitely have some kind of influence on the game's storyline include Dune, 1984, Ender's Game and Timelike Infinity.

• Epic story
  • Intriguing characters
  • Gorgeous visuals (1280x720 resolution)
  • Fiendish puzzles
  • Fiendish voice cast
  • Beautiful soundtrack
  • Lots of very, very bad jokes

Marvel at the refitted Disaster Area!

Delight in the aliens you will meet:

Collapse under the weight of sci-fi references hidden in the game (okay, probably hidden in plain sight, but still)...

(Also spend many sleepless nights wondering if this is a typo of a clever corruption of a word...)

Gasp at the dramatic cut-scenes!

Did I mention it's Available to wishlist on Steam now;-D

Knoodn

Hey Dave and Team Disaster.

It is good to see that the Captain is back!
Everything sounds and looks very promising. I am really looking forward to it.

Keep up the good work.

cat

Wonderful news! Will Clotilde have a cameo? They seem like the perfect couple - she is clever but happens to stumble into trouble whereas he is not so clever but manages to stumble out of trouble.

FireFlower

Didn't know you are working on a new game. It looks cool! :)
Story rich DRM-free games - http://fireflowergames.com/

CaptainD

@cat - we have talked about Clotilde making an entrance, but not sure yet. They do seem like the perfect couple though!  :-D

@FireFlower - well now you know!!  ;-D  ;)

FireFlower

Story rich DRM-free games - http://fireflowergames.com/

Gurok

Hope you get this one done, Dave. I love Captain Disaster's new style. I've been following this one on Twitter too. All the best!
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

lorenzo

Hey, everybody! Thanks for the kind words on the game!
The demo is coming along nicely, it should be ready soon (if we manage to stop us from adding more things to it  (laugh) ).

cat: we discussed a hypothetical game with both Captain Disaster and Clotilde, but nothing concrete yet. Who knows, maybe we can find her later in the game, shipwrecked somewhere.  ;)

eri0o

Hey, this looks good and sounds good, a nice pairing of humor and art here. Also a good motivation for me to read Timelike Infinity.  :)

Spoiler
I like the idea of hidden Lorenzo characters in the backgrounds in different places, it could be a fun easter egg. Maybe clicking all of them gives an achievement :-D
[close]

cat

Quote from: eri0o on Wed 08/02/2023 21:54:27
Spoiler
I like the idea of hidden Lorenzo characters in the backgrounds in different places, it could be a fun easter egg. Maybe clicking all of them gives an achievement :-D
[close]
Spoiler
Like Ilaria and his family stuck in a space highway jam with their ship (laugh).
[close]
It's always fun to have those tiny details that fans will recognize but look completely normal to outsiders. It's not even necessary to have interactions there, more a visual wink.

lorenzo

Quote from: eri0o on Wed 08/02/2023 21:54:27Hey, this looks good and sounds good, a nice pairing of humor and art here. Also a good motivation for me to read Timelike Infinity.  :)
I haven't read Timelike Infinity myself, so if we don't like it, we can blame CaptainD and his reading choices  :P

Quote from: eri0o on Wed 08/02/2023 21:54:27
Spoiler
[close]

Quote from: cat on Thu 09/02/2023 08:42:59
Spoiler
Like Ilaria and his family stuck in a space highway jam with their ship (laugh).
[close]
It's always fun to have those tiny details that fans will recognize but look completely normal to outsiders. It's not even necessary to have interactions there, more a visual wink.

These are good ideas! Let's see if I can sneak in some of those characters somewhere in the game  ;)

CaptainD

I have to admit the influence of Timelike Infinity is quite subtle, and even if you've read the book you could miss it. At the risk of going off-topic that book is, conceptually, one of the most astonishing works of science fiction I've ever read.

Trying to stay on-topic, here's another screenshot:

And some news - we are looking to release the demo in around 2 weeks. Not setting an exact date just yet. The demo will not feature voice-acting or Steam achievements - I'm afraid you're going to have to wait for the final game for those.

The reason for this is that in terms of our own workflow and consistency of audio quality, it's going to be much better to put that in right at the end, all in one go. Lessons learned from the previous CD game!!

cat

Regarding the screenshot (completely OT, that's why in spoiler):
Spoiler
My sister and her family visited the Austrian town of Hallstadt, which is very famous especially with Asian tourists. They sent me a photo of a vending machine selling "Original Hallstatt Air" in cans for 10€ (laugh)
[close]

lorenzo

cat: haha, that's crazy! If some social media celebrity passed by Hallstatt and happened to breathe near the place where they make the air in a can, we could have the same product as in the game ;)

heltenjon

Yeah, it's off-topic until you decide to include it in the game.
Spoiler
Perhaps as a solution to a puzzle with regards to breathing in space or on a planet with a toxic atmosphere.
[close]
Anyway: [offtopic]I actually know a guy who, for a joke, posted a bag of "glacier air" on ebay. (He works with tourists doing glacier walks.) To his astonishment, someone actually wanted to buy it, for a stiff price.[/offtopic] :-D

lorenzo

Quote from: heltenjon on Sat 11/02/2023 14:18:15Yeah, it's off-topic until you decide to include it in the game.
Spoiler
Perhaps as a solution to a puzzle with regards to breathing in space or on a planet with a toxic atmosphere.
[close]
That's a fun idea for a puzzle! I think the line was originally only a description/joke for one of the boxes, so I don't know if something similar could be added. But it could make for a neat puzzle.

Quote from: heltenjon on Sat 11/02/2023 14:18:15Anyway: [offtopic]I actually know a guy who, for a joke, posted a bag of "glacier air" on ebay. (He works with tourists doing glacier walks.) To his astonishment, someone actually wanted to buy it, for a stiff price.[/offtopic] :-D
[offtopic]Haha! Got to have that fresh glacier air during the hot summer! :D [/offtopic]

CaptainD

The demo trailer is here!!

CaptainD

Demo released!!

Currently only on Steam, we will be building an Itch page soon.

AGS Game Page

lorenzo

In case you've missed it, here's a reminder ;)

I tried to make the image clickable, but no luck. So, you'll have to click on the link to the right, instead -> CLICK ME!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk