🏆 AGS Awards 2022 - Awards are over!

Started by cat, Sun 01/01/2023 19:57:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Privateer Puddin'

Votes are in! Thanks again to everyone organising, and all the developers  :=

cat

cat

Only 2 days left! It is VERY close in a few categories...

The Great Underground Empire

Phew, got my votes in just in time!  :-D  Being honest, between the horror games (which I don't play) and the pay-up-front games, I only played and voted in a few categories I could fairly judge.

Not to get all economics-philosophical, but I was surprised by the number of pay-up-front games, too.

I'm a firm believer in the new pay-what-you-will online creative market...letting people try your high-quality game first creates way more long term fans who return to buy future games/merch/etc.  If you genuinely made something good, trust your new fans to support you.  If you didn't, you shouldn't be charging.  (Not aimed at anyone here - this is just something I've strongly believed for years.)

Maybe a requirement for consideration in future AGS awards should be free evaluation copies to anyone who requests it, with controlled download links that are shut down after the awards?

Stupot

Quote from: The Great Underground Empire on Sat 08/04/2023 13:47:36Maybe a requirement for consideration in future AGS awards should be free evaluation copies to anyone who requests it, with controlled download links that are shut down after the awards?

I know in the past some devs have at least offered reduced prices during the voting period. Any thing that can get more people playing more of the games is a good idea. It's a bit much to make it a requirement though.

QuoteIf you genuinely made something good, trust your new fans to support you.  If you didn't, you shouldn't be charging.  (Not aimed at anyone here - this is just something I've strongly believed for years.)

I don't think I agree. If someone is confident they've made a great game, and if they've put a great deal of their own time and resources into making it, and have any desire to recoup some of that, then they have to charge a fixed price. Trusting players to cough up is a bad idea, as most won't if it's optional.

LimpingFish

Quote from: The Great Underground Empire on Sat 08/04/2023 13:47:36If you genuinely made something good, trust your new fans to support you.

Perhaps, if game development is simply a hobby, you could afford this luxury. But if it's a means to support yourself and your family, and for some commercial developers here it is, this is a big ask.

Quote from: The Great Underground Empire on Sat 08/04/2023 13:47:36Maybe a requirement for consideration in future AGS awards should be free evaluation copies to anyone who requests it, with controlled download links that are shut down after the awards?

A situation like that is just begging to be exploited. And, honestly, I think most developers would rather make sales, than worry about their eligibility for a community awards ceremony.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Ponch

Voted! I hope I cast a tie-breaking vote somewhere.  :=

The Great Underground Empire

Stupot and Limpingfish: Sure, I get what you're saying.  I like the idea too that developers voluntarily reduced prices without it being a requirement.  That's just tried and true marketing technique - do a temporary sale to get your product out there, then return to normal price when you've driven up popularity.

Maybe I'm thinking too much towards regularly produced content like podcasts and other weekly-ish content creators, where the consumer gets a continuous, guaranteed reward in exchange for a continuous, tiny trickle of patron money invested.  I can see how a one-shot product like a game would be different...no guarantees of more content for possibly years at a time, if ever, so less incentive to financially support it.

Anyways, good luck to everybody in the awards!

cat

Last few hours!

It's still very close in some categories.

cat

Voting is over. We are preparing the awards client and results for the ceremony.

Kini Games

Woop! Do we know when the ceremony's gonna be?

cat

This depends on how the awards client team is getting along with updating the client. I'll post here when there is any news.

cat

We are STILL missing some of the resources for the awards client. It's quite some effort to prepare the client, so if authors are not willing to help us out, this is very annoying. I'm setting a deadline now:

Resources must be in until this Sunday (23rd April).

Otherwise their game will be represented by a black screen.

cat

Sorry for the delay. Kastchey and Dualnames are working hard to include the last resources. In the meantime, let's have a voting when the ceremony will happen:

Choose your favourite time and day!

Please vote using your forum name. You can select multiple dates/times.

Dualnames

We're looking really good added a lot of new cool things and nice features so far, really open to suggestions for the client, anything goes, feel free to DM me or type out your ideas here! I can't wait to show you all these things!
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

shaun9991

Thank you so much for all the nominations for Hob's Barrow!! Was a lovely surprise :)
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

cat

cat

The ceremony will happen on

27 May at 20:00 BST

Cassiebsg

Oh, I haven't missed it.
Been so long that I thought it had been held already. :/

Be it my luck, but I'll miss it, or be late to it, since I have a party to attend that day.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

cat

AGS awards are the best party of all - get your party people in front of your laptop and enjoy the ceremony together  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk